The Student Room Group

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
I really genuinely loved it! I thought the cinematography, acting, tension, humour, scripting, EVERYTHING was better than the previous movies. LOVED all of it! Ron got to take a more assertive part as well which is what I've been waiting for in the films since the HP1 where he got the chess scene :p: I LOVED the seven Harrys scene and the Ministry scene :biggrin:

Spoiler

Edit: Also, I think you needed to have read the books as I could just about remember characters e.g. Gregorovitch - if I hadn't read the books I would have had no idea who he was. There's no point getting mad at stuff they cut because they can't fit everything in! I wish they'd got someone to act Charlie though :p:

Double Edit: I watched it at 11pm and it was still PACKED! Love how popular it is :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
best one so far.
Reply 522
Original post by JessicaW
I never understand why people clap at the end of films, seems ****ing stupid.

I don't think so at all. My audience clapped, and so did I. Harry Potter are pretty much the only films that get this kind of reaction here.
Reply 523
Original post by Luceria

Original post by Luceria
I don't think so at all. My audience clapped, and so did I. Harry Potter are pretty much the only films that get this kind of reaction here.

Yes, but what is the point?
Daniel Racliffe: weak (and incredibly short:biggrin:)
Everyone else (especially Emma Watson): fabulous.

Great movie :smile: (the dancing scene is catastrophic, though)
Reply 525
Yes, but what is the point?

When David Yates name appeared, people clapped. When people really love the film and are impressed. And feel like clapping. Even if he's not there. I don't see the problem.

People who clap when a plane lands on the other hand...
Reply 526
Original post by sandys1000
There was a spontaneous round of applause at the end when I saw it :smile:

Same with mine, and cheering :P
Reply 527
Original post by Luceria

Original post by Luceria
When David Yates name appeared, people clapped. When people really love the film and are impressed. And feel like clapping. Even if he's not there. I don't see the problem.

People who clap when a plane lands on the other hand...

Mmm, I still think it's pointless but each to their own.

In fairness, if it's a Ryanir plane, people can be excused for clapping to celebrate they weren't smashed to pieces.
Original post by marshyfluff
You're a moron. Perhaps if you'd go to see the film legally then you'd find out that they do mention the Deathly Hallows symbol on Luna's Dad's necklace.

Also, this is a film. They can't have Harry using Polyjuice Potion all the time as it will be harder for people to connect to the character if they aren't seeing Daniel Radcliffe acting it out. Besides, there is a big scene with it being used in the Ministry. It would have felt repetitive to keep using it.

I already said I'm seeing in next week (Wednesday to be exact). They did not mention the symbol at the wedding with Krum. And it wouldn't been repetative it would have made sense. Oh look they're looking for Harry Potter, we'll just let him mingle with 100 people, yeah that makes sense.
Reply 529
Argh. Jealous. :frown:
Reply 530
Original post by theronkinator
I already said I'm seeing in next week (Wednesday to be exact). They did not mention the symbol at the wedding with Krum. And it wouldn't been repetative it would have made sense. Oh look they're looking for Harry Potter, we'll just let him mingle with 100 people, yeah that makes sense.

You'll laugh when you see it - as they actually do have him walking through the ministry at one point (when the polyjuice has run out), without anyone doing anything.
I never understand why people clap at the end of films, seems ****ing stupid.

It's odd in retrospect, but I think it's quite nice providing it's only done very sparingly. Only ever seen a standing ovation once, for Return of the King (although that might have had something to do with the situation; it was at Leicester Square on the first day of release) and it just felt right.

It's just some people's way of expressing their respect I guess, like the people who stay through the credits.
Clapping would be best done at the last film of the series which should be, in this situation, best left until Part 2. Then you can really say "Thanks for the whole saga"
Original post by The_Jatt_Joker
is there a dudley scene in the movie?

No there isn't. One of the biggest disappointments as I think based on how big that is in the book it would have made a fantastic emotional scene in the book and a chance for some humour (but there is plenty of laughs elsewhere).
Original post by x-friends
Ok, but did you like the way they ended it? It's in two parts so they had to stop half way through.

Well, funny you should say that. About three weeks before the film came out me and my friend were debating when it would end and i got it right! I said

Spoiler

I liked the way they ended it, couldn't have chosen a more suitable stopping point IMO. Anything prior to shell cottage is way to in-depth and non-stop to have a break in.
Original post by Hampsey83
No there isn't. One of the biggest disappointments as I think based on how big that is in the book it would have made a fantastic emotional scene in the book and a chance for some humour (but there is plenty of laughs elsewhere).

I always wondered when reading the epilogue what happened to Dudley...
Reply 536
Just got back, I absolutely loved it. Emma Watson just gets better and better.
The cinematography was brilliant, and it was better directed that a lot of the previous films. It didn't have as much action as I had wanted, but by the sounds of it, they kept true to the story (I haven't read it :frown: ) Can't wait until part 2.
Original post by Theconomist
It was crap.
Lots of uneeded ****.But the again even the book is stupid.
Harry is like a friggin scyzophreniac.I also hate the deus ex machina bull****.
THey always seem to get saved by someone or miraculously discover stuff.
****ty book,****ty movie.
Also part 1 and 2? LOL money whores.
80% of part 1 was useless generic stuff.

On the contrary I thought very little was 'unneeded'. All of the book is relevant to the main plot so they had a very difficult job cutting anything really. As for adding things that weren't in it whatsoever, they did it sparingly. The scene with harry and Hermione dancing is a great bit of cinema which I thought was really sweet :')

The books are amazing. It may be your opinion that they suck but they are part of the best-selling book series of all-time so they can't really be '****ty'.

Part 1 and part 2 were necessary. Unlike the other books which had sub plots, the whole 7th book is dedicated to the main plot so they couldn't cut much out at all. So unless they wanted to make a 4 hour movie that nobody could be bothered to sit through and came out rushed they needed to split it up. Also making it into two parts has given the end of the book it's own feel which the book itself achieves. In the book there is a clear change between everything leading up to Gringotts and everything that unfolds immediately afterwards.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I always wondered when reading the epilogue what happened to Dudley...

Yeah I was curious too. For the first time I actually began to care for Dudley as it turns out he was good after all (much like Snape).

I imagine he took over Uncle Vernon's Business..?

We should as JK Rowling:smile:
Original post by Hampsey83
Yeah I was curious too. For the first time I actually began to care for Dudley as it turns out he was good after all (much like Snape).

I imagine he took over Uncle Vernon's Business..?

We should as JK Rowling:smile:

She hasn't ruled out writing another book...so who knows, she may have Dudley being a frequent visitor to the Potter household. I can imagine Dudley and Ginny getting on well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest