The Student Room Group

Need book recommendations

I am an avid reader, I always have one book on the go and then as soon as I’ve finished that I go straight onto the next one. I love crime thrillers, it’s my favourite genre. I’ve read the entire Jack Reacher series and currently working my way through the Mitch Rapp and Harry Bosch series just to give you an idea of what I like reading.

But I feel like I need a break from crime thrillers so any recommendations would be helpful. I’m not really into fantasy but I have read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and I’m not really into Sci-Fi stuff but I did love 11/22/63 by Stephen King.
Original post by MikePL
I am an avid reader, I always have one book on the go and then as soon as I’ve finished that I go straight onto the next one. I love crime thrillers, it’s my favourite genre. I’ve read the entire Jack Reacher series and currently working my way through the Mitch Rapp and Harry Bosch series just to give you an idea of what I like reading.

But I feel like I need a break from crime thrillers so any recommendations would be helpful. I’m not really into fantasy but I have read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and I’m not really into Sci-Fi stuff but I did love 11/22/63 by Stephen King.

If it's a series you're looking for, try the Eddie Flynn series by Steve Cavanagh. They're legal thrillers with a lot of high-intensity action as well as entertaining courtroom drama, not to mention brilliant plots (and even genius plot twists in 1 or 2 of the books!). I'm not one to reread books usually but this series was so good that I just had to - currently rereading the second one and loving every moment of it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by spill_the_tea
If it's a series you're looking for, try the Eddie Flynn series by Steve Cavanagh. They're legal thrillers with a lot of high-intensity action as well as entertaining courtroom drama, not to mention brilliant plots (and even genius plot twists in 1 or 2 of the books!). I'm not one to reread books usually but this series was so good that I just had to - currently rereading the second one and loving every moment of it :smile:

Funnily enough I’ve actually read all them too after my girlfriend bought me the series. I love them and I’ve got his latest book pre-ordered.
i read the Christ Letters for free at https://thechristletters.weebly.com/letter-1.html

it gives me guidance on what decisions to make and elevates my awareness of the universe
Original post by MikePL
Funnily enough I’ve actually read all them too after my girlfriend bought me the series. I love them and I’ve got his latest book pre-ordered.

Oh okay, never mind. They's so good though, right! Does it have to be a series or can they be standalone books?
Reply 5
Original post by spill_the_tea
Oh okay, never mind. They's so good though, right! Does it have to be a series or can they be standalone books?

Either or really I’m not too bothered. I read The Night Agent a few months ago which is a standalone book and I loved it. Currently I’m reading The Gray Man after watching the film and only now have I discovered it’s actually a series of books.
Reply 6
I also loved 11/22/63.
Have you read The Shining + Dr Sleep (which is a sequel to The Shining - what happens to Danny the boy from The Shining).
I am legend by Matheson. Nothing like the film and its quite a short but good book.
Reply 8
What kind of book genre are you thinking of, other than crime?
(edited 9 months ago)
Hmm I’ve a lot depends on genre
Original post by MikePL
Either or really I’m not too bothered. I read The Night Agent a few months ago which is a standalone book and I loved it. Currently I’m reading The Gray Man after watching the film and only now have I discovered it’s actually a series of books.

The Night Agent, is that anything to do with the short series on Netflix by the same name? You should deffo watch that if you haven't, it's so good honestly. I haven't heard of The Gray Man, what's it about?

Anyways here's a few more book recs, hopefully you haven't read them all this time 😅

The Chain - Adrian Mckinty
No Turning Back - Sam Blake
Trust Me - TM Logan
Rewind - Catherine Ryan Howard
Friend Request - Laura Marshall
To Keep You Safe - Kate Bradley
The Other Passenger - Louise Candlish
Someone We Know - Shari Lapena
Not A Happy Family - Shari Lapena
Find Them Dead - Peter James (part of a super long series but can be read as a stand alone)
My Name Is Anna - Lizzy Barber
A Tap On The Window - Linwood Barclay

N.B. These are mostly crime/thriller books - I know you said that you feel like you need a break from the genre but without really knowing what other genres you enjoy/might be interested, it's kinda hard giving recommendations.
Reply 11
Original post by cheadle
I also loved 11/22/63.
Have you read The Shining + Dr Sleep (which is a sequel to The Shining - what happens to Danny the boy from The Shining).

Yeah I read The Shining years ago but I can’t really remember it so I may read it again
Original post by MikePL

The books by Cathy Glass, Lisa Stone and Mike Pannett are all well worth a read.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending