The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8180
Original post by secretmessages
I know, I know, I'm not really a fan myself :p: It intrigues me as to what's going to happen when we run out of IPv4 addresses :teeth: It's probably naive of me to think that the Internet is going to grind to a halt but I imagine there will be some big problems, even if it doesn't affect us as individuals. Why is the deployment of IPv6 taking so long? :iiam:

:badger: :badger: :badger:

:teehee:
"We would like to update you about your delivery:

- Order Number:XXX
- Planned Delivery Date: 23/11/2010
- Delivery Time: 9 am - 6 pm "

:teeth:
Going onto a gadget/technology blog and seeing it plastered with more-than-it-should iPad coverage/articles. :nothing:
Original post by alexsheppard11

Original post by alexsheppard11
- Order Number:XXX

:perv:
I know, I know, I'm not really a fan myself :p: It intrigues me as to what's going to happen when we run out of IPv4 addresses :teeth: It's probably naive of me to think that the Internet is going to grind to a halt but I imagine there will be some big problems, even if it doesn't affect us as individuals. Why is the deployment of IPv6 taking so long? :iiam:

IPv6 is taking so long because of all the legacy hardware the makes up the backbone of the internet, doesn't support IPv6. Also, it's a new standard that's not as nice to use, and I think a lot of people don't personally fancy the prospect of remapping their entire networks under IPv6 - it's incredibly time consuming and expensive.
(edited 13 years ago)

:perv:

shame i wont see it for another month :frown:
Original post by Mad Vlad

IPv6 is taking so long because of all the legacy hardware the makes up the backbone of the internet, doesn't support IPv6. Also, it's a new standard that's not as nice to use, and I think a lot of people don't personally fancy the prospect of remapping their entire networks under IPv6 - it's incredibly time consuming and expensive.

:awesome: They should've started it a lot earlier :sadnod:
In other news, something that'll make most of us rage:

Spoiler

Ffffffuuuuu at twitter... but :erm: we need IPv6 nao!!

Fair play not liking the 'celebrity' aspect of twitter, but think outside the box.
Imagine a server that reports errors on twitter, a laptop that uses skyhook to report it's location, a university technology department that posts updates on network downtime - people often fail to see the potential for twitter, not as a social network, but as a pithy status update service. Sure you could write your own webpage to give info on network downtime/server problems etc, but twitter is so widely supported there's almost no excuse not to.
:awesome: They should've started it a lot earlier :sadnod:

It's ok, RFC 2460 (i.e. IPv6) is only 12 years old, next month.
Spent the last hour logging into forum accounts that I made in 2007 (and have been inactive for 3 years). Reading all the PMs I sent and how I used to talk and behave.

Such an overwhelmingly strange feeling with hint of vague sadness. Ah... :moon:
:facepalm2: Being the idiot I am and just having woken up by a nap, I clicked the rate posts buttons rather than the multi-quote buttons, but whatever, enjoy :p:

Original post by Chrosson
Fair play not liking the 'celebrity' aspect of twitter, but think outside the box.
Imagine a server that reports errors on twitter, a laptop that uses skyhook to report it's location, a university technology department that posts updates on network downtime - people often fail to see the potential for twitter, not as a social network, but as a pithy status update service. Sure you could write your own webpage to give info on network downtime/server problems etc, but twitter is so widely supported there's almost no excuse not to.

Yeah :moon: That's the one thing I do like about Twitter, for example TSR's ability to give updates during the site upgrade last month, so we knew where we're at. That was quite useful.

It's ok, RFC 2460 (i.e. IPv6) is only 12 years old, next month.

Twelve years?? :zomg:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EWXX6Q

Going to be in a Black Friday deal at 8pm tomorrow, depending on the price I will be sooooooo very tempted.
I've just realised IE9 might be the cause of the recent problems with my computer :mad:

I find this funny though:

First suggestion when you type 'uninstall' into Google, because it's damn near impossible to get rid of :angry: Worked it out now though :u:
Interesting idea, limiting the number of friends you can have on a social network.

Someone else post? :puppyeyes: :p:
:woo:
Reply 8196
Apparently WW3 is brewing. I know this because I got a Twitter update telling me so. :p:

Also: http://www.kindlecases.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/gamesyoucanplaywithyourpussy.jpg :teehee:
Interesting idea, limiting the number of friends you can have on a social network.

Someone else post? :puppyeyes: :p:

I think its a really good idea, but I think facebook will eventually make moves to make connections more scalable, better use of the list feature and so on, thus making a limited friends number slightly more redundant, the concept of different networking between mere connections and close friends is one facebook is still struggling to define and their own insistence that facebook is a tool only for contacts you know well could ultimately be there downfall; not all connections are created equal.
Reply 8198
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EWXX6Q

Going to be in a Black Friday deal at 8pm tomorrow, depending on the price I will be sooooooo very tempted.

Saw this before and might be tempted also. Time to give my trusty old Smart Price keyboard the boot, perhaps?
I've spent a good few hours doing this:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending