The Student Room Group

Uk Nuclear Power

This poll is closed

Are you For or Against Nuclear Power in UK?

Nuclear energy is our future, we should build more power stations 63%
Toxic waste and Radiation are harming our enviroument, we should remove all Nuclear power plants 5%
They can be used as a supplementary source of energy but we shouldn't relay on them32%
Total votes: 216
What do you think about Nuclear Energy and its future in Britain?

- Most of british nuclear industry is controlled by EDF (energy de france)
- Major problems with nuclear fuel is that we could only use 3% of it and rest goes to dumps
- 4th generation of powerplants will increase it to about 12%
- Toxic waste reprocessing plants are doing a good job recycling the waste so that only a fraction has to be contained
- People who live near Nuclear Plants are exposed to some radiation but this yearly amount is equivalent to one flight in the plane.
- When Nuclear Power plant is running its almost carbon neutral
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nuclear energy is a great source of low carbon, safe power for the UK and the government should be investing in it as soon as possible to ensure the new nuclear power stations that are needed are built on time. For too long the previous government dithered on energy policy and provided no solutions leaving us with a potential problem in the next few decades as old nuclear power station are closed down.
Original post by mac_manutd
Nuclear energy is a great source of low carbon, safe power for the UK and the government should be investing in it as soon as possible to ensure the new nuclear power stations that are needed are built on time. For too long the previous government dithered on energy policy and provided no solutions leaving us with a potential problem in the next few decades as old nuclear power station are closed down.

Don't forget to vote on the poll :cool:
france gets over 80% of its electricity from nuclear power
Reply 4
Today's power plant's are very very safe. But the only problem I have is with what to do with the waste. Most of it just sits in sites whilst politcians argue amongest themselves so I think we should use it but not rely on it.
Reply 5
I think we should use it to make us less dependent on natural resources which in limited supply.

Naturally be careful with it's use as we've already seen in history the detrimental effects nuclear radiation has on the environment and on us.

To my knowledge (gcse) nuclear waste in enclosed in very thick concrete and dumped in the ocean or left in sites and every now and then the concrete is layers are reinforced.
Reply 6
times changed now...there are more efficient ways to deal with a waste...the only problem is that they are expensive, but that is an obvious thing.
Original post by Zelenka
times changed now...there are more efficient ways to deal with a waste...the only problem is that they are expensive, but that is an obvious thing.

If some energy company were to build a Nuclear Power Plant next to your house how would you react?
Reply 8
that would never happen) :wink:

and if some smartass will have an idea to build a powerplant in the urban area it will not be possilbe)
Reply 9
On top of renewable energy resources, yes, whilst we sit around and wait for fusion to finally work.
Reply 10
I think we should utilise our renewable wind and ocean power, but we would still certainly need nuclear plants.
Toxic waste and Radiation are harming our enviroument, we should remove all Nuclear power plants :awesome:
It has been estimated that wind turbines do not generate enough profit to exceed the money that were invested into building one. There is video on youtube about nuclear energy and possible energ alternatives.
Reply 13
Original post by comrade_jon
On top of renewable energy resources, yes, whilst we sit around and wait for fusion to finally work.

I too hope fusion works :smile: since it is a nuclear energy, i vote nuclear is our future
Reply 14
I think that once fossil fuels become unviable, not only will nuclear power be the best option, it will probably be the only realistic option for producing the amount of power we require.
I don't like the thought of using nuclear energy. Sure, under normal circumstances they work perfectly; but they are prone to attacks and have the potential to kill millions, and the images of the children affected by the Chernobyl disaster haunts me.
I think we need to rapidly change energy production methods, but I think renewable is the way to go.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
It has been estimated that wind turbines do not generate enough profit to exceed the money that were invested into building one. There is video on youtube about nuclear energy and possible energ alternatives.

If people see this as a compelling reason not to support wind energy, it's a terrible indication of the worst side of capitalism. Sacrificing the environment for money
Reply 17
Nuclear is the future. There are very safe ways to deal with the by products; there is an inherent risk but it is a necessary evil and far better than fossil fuels. Solar and renewable energies are the way forward but still underdeveloped and not understood.

There is a slight concern that what if you generate all the worlds power from ocean currents/waves. Sounds good, but say it affects the global tide patterns and general stabilities. Far fetched, well maybe, but a hundred years ago no one for a moment would guess that fossil fuels would have any real impact on the planet in a long term way.
I think we should be using fast breeder reactors. They produce far less waste and require far less uranium than conventional reactors (around 2-5%), however they are much more expensive to build.
Reply 19
Ideally we'd be on nuclear fusion as that will be a very inexpensive way of producing more energy than our civilisation could use in a million years or so.
Until then, fission is safe and efficient, the waste is a small problem but not as bad as the results of burning fossil fuels.
Incidents like Chernobyl don't happen when properly trained safety officers are working there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending