The Student Room Group

Farming methods and soil nitrogen...

I'm supposed to be writing about how different methods of farming can increase/decrease levels of soil nitrogen. So far I've only really written about the nitrogen cycle. I'm not really sure what is meant by 'farming methods' or which ones would be best to include... any tips?
Reply 1
Original post by vixen23
I'm supposed to be writing about how different methods of farming can increase/decrease levels of soil nitrogen. So far I've only really written about the nitrogen cycle. I'm not really sure what is meant by 'farming methods' or which ones would be best to include... any tips?

I think it probably refers to fertiliser types e.g. natural vs synthetic. You could also consider the impact leguminous crops would have on soil i.e. ones with root nodules :-)
Reply 2
Adding to grovichik's reply, you could also talk about processes such as plowing (which is what you're looking for - a farming method) which helps to turn the soil at rest and keep it sufficiently aerated. Hope this helps.
Reply 3
yer what I'd mention is nitrogen cycle, different fertiliser types and for farming methods, explain what the supermarkets are pressurising farmers to use, and pros/cons of using natural and synthetic fertilisers. But thats basically what these guys have said :smile:
Reply 4
Mention that crop rotation is required and growing the same plants year in year out on a soil will drain it of nutrients making it infertile. Rotating the crops with plants that put nutrients back into the soil i.e. plants with legums on the roots allows the soil to remain fertile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending