The Student Room Group

Chemical bonding

So we are doing chemical bonding and findind the energy prudced when bonds are made and broken etc, my problem is knowing what each bond will look like grpahically and if its a single double or triple bond. Is there a way to tell, what it will be or is it just learn them situations?.
Reply 1
Original post by hazbaz
So we are doing chemical bonding and findind the energy prudced when bonds are made and broken etc, my problem is knowing what each bond will look like grpahically and if its a single double or triple bond. Is there a way to tell, what it will be or is it just learn them situations?.

For a start, do you know everything about covalent, ionic and metallic bonding?
Graphically? C-C is a single bond, C=C is a double bond, and I can't do triple on my keyboard :P but there are ways of drawing them, is that what you mean?
Ionic bonds aren't lines, you just put the ions in square brackets marked with their ionic charge
Reply 4
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
Graphically? C-C is a single bond, C=C is a double bond, and I can't do triple on my keyboard :P but there are ways of drawing them, is that what you mean?

Yes and just how you know what it looks like grpahically is there a method?
Graphically? What do you mean? As far as I know, you can actually see bonds with any kind of electron miscroscopy.

What I can say is double bonds are planar, so the four atoms attached to them, eg the Hydrogens in H2C=CH2 (ethene), are all in the same plane. Ethane on the other hand with single bonds has free rotation so in my mind the hydrogens can wiz around all over the place :P

Does this help?
Ah! You can look at bonds in terms of overlapping orbitals (s, p, etc). There are some good youtube videos showing how electrons orbitals overlap in single (sigma) and double (sigma+pi) bonds
*can't actually see them :P
Reply 8
:tongue: thanks i was meaning as in how would you know when drawing out the bond where the H's go the Carbons go etc, but im getting more use to it now
Just count bonds :smile: 4 per carbon, 3 per nitrogen... you'll get it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest