The Student Room Group

help with a level choices pleaseeee!

hello:smile: i'm currently in year 11 and am choosing my a level subjects ready for college. i am applying to 5 colleges but there is one im particularly favouring. i want to become a primary school teacher in the future, preferrably to children aged between 4 and 7 but would like to do a degree in a subject i enjoy first and then teacher training later to keep my options open.
so far, i have chosen these choices:

english literature (a2), french, history and government and politics.

considering i am currently achieving B's in science and maths, do you think these choices offer enough variety?
thankyouuu.:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Excellent choices. Literature and History compliment each other perfectly, and French would show the versatility you need. Also, you can consider that Government & Politics is a 'social science', but if you're weary about that, do something like Physics or Geography. :smile:

- also, how did you do in AS English Literature? I'm currently taking it along with: History, Politics, Economics & Mathematics.
Reply 2
i haven't got my grade in AS yet, i'm predicted a b or a c i think. hopefully, i will do well. how about you?
That's really impressive considering that you're doing it in year 11. :')

I should be doing okay. I got an A* in Literature GCSE, so I hope to get an A in the A-Level :}

What subject are you thinking of doing at university?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
:O an a* in literature?! i got an a. i want to do either history or english at uni but i haven't really looked in to it much, suppose i best start soon! i didn't take history gcse though so... you?
An A is still amazing! :biggrin:

History or English? They both sound good :smile:
- you could do a History & English degree though, like at Oxford or something. :smile:

I'm thinking of either English Literature, History, Law, or Philosophy, Politics & Economics at Oxford. :}

I didn't take History GCSE either (I didn't bother because I did a Humanities GCSE in Year 9) but the A-Level only required a B in English :') - as long as you have the analytical skills from language & literature it'll be a breeze.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Hey :smile:

English Literature and History will go great together, I do both of those at AS now. French will be difficult, but don't let that put you off, and it looks great on Uni applications if you can do well in a second language.

Is Goverment and Politics one course, or two separate? What you want to take at Uni is definately important in figuring out what you want to take next year.

If you have room for another course, make sure you pick something which compliments the ones you've already picked. Science and maths are good subjects, but I think you have to really like them to carry them through to A level, because they're quite difficult.
Reply 7
PS, AS Philosophy is brilliant, if you want to take Eng Lit (like me) or History at Uni, it's a really good subject :smile:
Original post by rosieandjim
PS, AS Philosophy is brilliant, if you want to take Eng Lit (like me) or History at Uni, it's a really good subject :smile:

Does it go into much depth at AS? I was considering taking it but I just never did.
Reply 9
thanks for replying:smile:
im new to this so i don't have a clue how to do stuff.

to the first person:
i have looked at that course actually, one of the only few. i very much doubt i will get in oxford! i want to stay close to home as well. always worth a look though.

to the second person:
government and politics is one course and im in two minds about choosing a science. i wouldn't choose maths as i find it difficult but if i had to choose a science, it would be biology. do you know what it is like at a level? and what is philosophy?:biggrin:
Original post by aliceeeeeeeeee
what is philosophy?:biggrin:

Essentially, the study of reason. You study logic/arguments and whatnot, so it's like English Literature/Critical Thinking. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by aliceeeeeeeeee
hello:smile: i'm currently in year 11 and am choosing my a level subjects ready for college. i am applying to 5 colleges but there is one im particularly favouring. i want to become a primary school teacher in the future, preferrably to children aged between 4 and 7 but would like to do a degree in a subject i enjoy first and then teacher training later to keep my options open.
so far, i have chosen these choices:

english literature (a2), french, history and government and politics.

considering i am currently achieving B's in science and maths, do you think these choices offer enough variety?
thankyouuu.:biggrin:

If you want to be a primary school teacher then Govt and Politics wont favour you as much as maths or a science would.
Original post by apple_head
If you want to be a primary school teacher then Govt and Politics wont favour you as much as maths or a science would.

It's a social science, so perhaps it would.
I think so. I transferred from another class, so I'd never looked at the prospectus or gone to an open evening or anything beforehand.
I love it, we're doing two modules now; why should I be moral?; reason and experience. We have an exam on both in January.
The morality module is all about society and why people act morally, so we've done morality as a social contract, morality as constitutive of self-interest and we're just starting morality as opposed to self-interest. They'll all different theories as to why humans act morally.
Reason and experience is all about the world, how we view the world, how we experience it and basically whether or not it exists. There are empiricists who believe in the world as they experience it through 'sense impressions' as chaotic etc. and rationalists who believe in the world as mathematically structured.

It's really interesting, you would have liked it I think :smile:
Original post by apple_head

don't know if that quote thing worked.
and i know, but i really suck at maths and science! which one is easiest (even though i know they are quite difficult)? :smile:
I think so. I transferred from another class, so I'd never looked at the prospectus or gone to an open evening or anything beforehand.
I love it, we're doing two modules now; why should I be moral?; reason and experience. We have an exam on both in January.
The morality module is all about society and why people act morally, so we've done morality as a social contract, morality as constitutive of self-interest and we're just starting morality as opposed to self-interest. They'll all different theories as to why humans act morally.
Reason and experience is all about the world, how we view the world, how we experience it and basically whether or not it exists. There are empiricists who believe in the world as they experience it through 'sense impressions' as chaotic etc. and rationalists who believe in the world as mathematically structured.

It's really interesting, you would have liked it I think :smile:

Wow that does sound quite interesting actually; I can't wait to do it at University - provided I'm accepted. :biggrin:
[QUOTE maths and science! which one is easiest (even though i know they are quite difficult)? :smile:

I'd suggest biology probably, but if you want to take English or History at Uni, it might not be that good for you. Sciences are good though

Don't worry about having trouble picking your subjects. I started off planning to take Eng Lit, History, Film Studies, Media Studies and Eng Lang
I'm now taking Eng Lit, History, Philosophy, Critical Thinking and Media Studies - everyone has issues picking subjects :smile:

PS how do you do the quote thing, because this obviously didn't work...
Original post by Mr Inquisitive

Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Wow that does sound quite interesting actually; I can't wait to do it at University - provided I'm accepted. :biggrin:

it is brilliant :smile: you could always try taking it at A2, if you have time obviously. How many subjects are you doing now/think you're going to take through to next year?
there wasn't a close bracket on the first 'quote' bit!:biggrin:
so you think it doesn't really matter if i don't take a science or maths?
it is brilliant :smile: you could always try taking it at A2, if you have time obviously. How many subjects are you doing now/think you're going to take through to next year?

I suppose, but we're doing Aristotle in Literature so I suppose I can wait. :biggrin:

I'm doing five at the moment: 16th Century History, English Literature, Mathematics, Economics & Politics. Ideally though, I'd like to take three into A2 (probably English Literature, History & Mathematics) just to secure A grades.

I could probably try doing 4 in A2, but I wouldn't want to compromise a grade or grades.

How many are you planning on doing in A2? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest