The Student Room Group

Oxford Applicants : Preparing for the Interview!

So HOW exactly is everyone preparing for their respective interviews? Mine's for PPE and I have absolutely NO idea what to do! o.o

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am rereading some of the texts I mentioned in my personal statement and I am trying to 'think critically' about them. I also tend to talk to myself now and then; I try to give answers to questions like 'why English?', 'why Oxford?' etc. just to get used to speaking English :tongue:

I wish I had someone to practice with though - I think it really help me to talk to a stranger about my interests. I am not at all used to talking about literature (nobody cares!), especially not in English!
Reply 2
Original post by Ambs
I am rereading some of the texts I mentioned in my personal statement and I am trying to 'think critically' about them. I also tend to talk to myself now and then; I try to give answers to questions like 'why English?', 'why Oxford?' etc. just to get used to speaking English :tongue:

I wish I had someone to practice with though - I think it really help me to talk to a stranger about my interests. I am not at all used to talking about literature (nobody cares!), especially not in English!

Ohhh. Hahah which texts? English isn't your first language? Also, which college?

I've been reading The Economist and just following current affairs etc but I don't know if that's enough.
Well, I've spent like the last month re-reading the books I mentioned in my Personal Statement, and making sure I know AS/ A2 thus far stuff inside out, and I don't really think I can do any more on that, so, after my absolute capitulation of an Imperial interview, I'm just trying to concentrate on keeping myself calm and sort of in the right frame of mind at the moment.
Original post by AnamAfridi
So HOW exactly is everyone preparing for their respective interviews? Mine's for PPE and I have absolutely NO idea what to do! o.o

Yeah I'm preparing for PPE too. Just trying to keep up to date with the news and also quickly going through the AS levels in the three subjects, but I don't feel very prepared at all. I don't have a clue how to prepare, but hopefully what they say is true and they don't try and test what you already know but how you think. Which college are you applying to? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Ambs

English is not my first language. I'm finding it hard to express myself in answering questions, especially in the interview.
Hard to say, as I would probably do the same things without an interview :P But I have been rereading some of the books I have mentioned on my PS. Something outside my usual habits I have done is looking through A-level Chemistry to make sure I know it.
Reply 7
As an international applicant I am wondering which knowledge they expect at a math interview. Maybe someone can tell me how far in the curriculum (I think it is divided into modules C1-C4) the English applicants are right now. Thanks :-).
Original post by Abstractineum
Hard to say, as I would probably do the same things without an interview :P But I have been rereading some of the books I have mentioned on my PS.

You deserve your Chemistry interview then :biggrin:
The very best of luck with it.
Reply 9
Eating, breathing, sleeping in Chemistry. Curriculum, chemistry outside the curriculum, and scientific current affairs :smile:
Original post by LizDay
Eating, breathing, sleeping in Chemistry. Curriculum, chemistry outside the curriculum, and scientific current affairs :smile:

What topics outside of your A level curriculum in Chemistry are you looking at?
Reply 11
I listen to Mozart to make me smarterer. :ahee:
Reply 12
Original post by Summerdays
What topics outside of your A level curriculum in Chemistry are you looking at?

I've looked at the history of analysis (mainly with respect to poisons because I'm strange like that), Just about everything I could find regarding nanochemistry, and a little bit of medicinal cos it's really interesting :biggrin: I've been trying to look at old textbooks a lot as well because they tend to have more detailed information in them about what you're learning. AQA has the tendency to be rather vague.
Reply 13
Okay I am definitely keeping an eye on this thread.

Mine is for English and Classics (I have met no other on TSR :frown:), there seems to be only 1 place at the college I have an interview in. So, I am scared!
I am just thinking of a few interesting things (well I think so ^^) to talk about, just jotting down a few points here and there to clear the fuzziness away :smile: I am reading lots (but that's not unusual:smile: )
Also lots of talking to my reflection in prep for interview conversation... Nobody else in my life is interested in talking about English and Classics :no:
Frequenting TSR, and wondering what I will wear :redface:
Reply 14
I applied for Maths and stats n doing STEP papers now. But the problem is I cant do anything :cry::cry::cry:
Ppl say doing them will increase ur confidence but it is doing the exact opposite 4 me
had a mock interview n it went terribly :cry::cry::cry:

I don't even look forward to going anymore. It's gonna be so humiliating :cry::cry:

Really don't feel like doing anything now:erm:. good luck 4 every1 else :smile:
Original post by Sebsan
I am a bit freaked out since apparantly we law students need to have some background knowledge. I have started reading the law section of the Guardian, but I am assuming this is more about basic terminology and structure, of which I know very little. (International applicant)

Does anyone know a good place to read up on this, excluding wikipedia?

Actually you don't need to know any law already - all you need is a bit of common sense! Hope it all goes well.
Reply 16
Original post by AnamAfridi
Ohhh. Hahah which texts? English isn't your first language? Also, which college?

I've been reading The Economist and just following current affairs etc but I don't know if that's enough.

Lots of different texts! Mostly Victorian at the moment - I have been rereading bits of Middlemarch today.
I'm a native Dutch speaker. I'm Belgian, so French is supposed to be my second language, followed by German - but I really prefer English. I know it sounds odd to say that I need to practice my English before an interview for English, but since I never get the chance to speak English at home I need a bit of time to 'adjust' :tongue:

I think that sounds fine :smile: After all, Oxford doesn't really give us any time to prepare, so I don't know what else you should/could be doing :dontknow:
Reply 17
Original post by warrior_22
English is not my first language. I'm finding it hard to express myself in answering questions, especially in the interview.

Perhaps you could try talking to yourself too? :tongue: I know it sounds odd, but answering imaginative questions really works for me!
Original post by Sebsan
I am a bit freaked out since apparantly we law students need to have some background knowledge. I have started reading the law section of the Guardian, but I am assuming this is more about basic terminology and structure, of which I know very little. (International applicant)

Does anyone know a good place to read up on this, excluding wikipedia?

Background knowledge? Hope not. Thought it was just supposed to be about how we think. No time to cram anyway: three days!
Reply 19
Original post by Ambs
Perhaps you could try talking to yourself too? :tongue: I know it sounds odd, but answering imaginative questions really works for me!

:yep:

What's your special interest in English? :excited:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending