The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by effofex
What about Emiratis? They are a minority in their own country - and by the looks of things, they don't seem to be throwing up too much of a fuss at all!

No, they just create laws that automatically put a native Emirati automatically above anyone of any other ethnicity - even someone who was born in the UAE, even another Arab. It's extremely difficult to gain full nationality, even if you were born in the UAE. They don't let their women marry any of the foreign majority. They keep themselves to themselves.

This is because they're trying to preserve their bloodline. Which is the case here.
Reply 41
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
This is a different scenario. The ethnic groups that comprise the largest groups in the UAE are not as dissimilar culturally, religiously and physically in comparison to the ethnic groups that will apparently be fighting for majority status in a few decades in the UK. Just look at the religious demographics of the UAE - Islam commands a large majority, and ethnicity is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to the bonds between Muslims.

Most Indians tend to be Hindu.
Most Pakistanis and Indonesians tend to be Muslim.
Most Philippinos and Europeans tend to be Christian.

Within those immigrant groups there are many different social strata too. Also, most Islamic fatalities in violent conflicts have been inflicted by others claiming to be 'Islamic' as well. Ethnicity appears to be a pretty large divider in conflicts in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan and Kurdestan, regardless of the fact that in all those regions the dominant religion is Islam.
Kinda makes sense, the white majority of the country doesn't want to be a white minority in the future

Just about any race/ethnicity, who ever wants to be a minority anywhere? Maybe just naturally you feel more comfortable with people that look like you, it's a non racist just natural thing, preferably to have a general mix of all races at least
Reply 43
Britain is multi-racial, whether you right wing Tories like it or not. Get used to it.
Reply 44
Sorry, but how can you blame people for being anti-immigration after the issues it has caused in the past decade? You're deluded if you expect public opinion to be against some sort of immigration cap.

And, it's only natural that people would dislike the notion of their race becoming a minority. Do you honestly believe the people of Nigeria or Pakistan would vote in favour of becoming a minority to white people?

I personally don't have that much of a problem with the ethnic make-up of Britain, so long as that's all it is - skin colour. If this increase in ethnic minorities comes with religious and cultural segregation and conflict, then I am wholly against it.

In summary, you're happy to throw around the 'racist' card without considering the underlying factors in this situation. Your comments are inane and ignorant.

here here. Margaret Thatcher for PM........what did i just say!!!!
I am not White but it isn't disgusting at all. However, it would be once 73% claim they hate non-White people
Reply 46
Original post by effofex
One question:

What about Emiratis?

foreigners in their country are not citizens or even planning on being there permanently.
Original post by maghreblover

But of course, like many other Nigerians, I will have a problem if Ghanaians, for example, became the dominant group.

:lolwut:

Speak for yourself.

I wouldn't care, I always put in terms of football. I wouldn't care if most of the players in the Nigerian team were white. As long as they call themselves Nigerian and are the best who cares.

But If I imagine black people becoming a minority in Nigeria, I wouldn't care that much. The only thing is that white people can't just live in a non-white country, they have to try and run it. :dontknow: Just saying.
Reply 48
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
Difference: Immigrants are in the UAE on a temporary, contractual basis. You can be deported at the drop of a hat.

That is completely different to the UK where passports and benefits are thrown at immigrants.

Wrong, I'm pretty sure an expatriate is only eligible to apply for British citizenship (which must be held in order to get a UK passport) after at least 5 (likely to be changed to 7) continuous years of law-abiding residence within the UK.
Reply 49
why is it that england, and most of the developed european countries allow in so many foreigners? it's not about little groups of people immigrating, it is mass immigration that has changed the makeup of this country only within a few years. how is that even justifiable or even fair on the native british population?

and then on the other hand you have japan which is still almost 100% japanese. why is this? why is europe so different to japan that we let in so many immigrants, but japan is so against it?
Reply 50
Original post by rylit91
That's because most immigrants there are 'high flying' business people that have made that area one of the most affluent in the world. You may well argue that Britain needs immigrants, but let's face it - these immigrants bring with them their mops and cleaning products to wipe toilets, not qualifications and business.

Moreover, we have a far longer and glorious history than Emiratis, and immigrants disregard it and erode it over time.

I doubt that. Most are construction workers.

Immigrants to the UK range from those completely lacking in qualifications to those who are more highly qualified than any British national. Some come with a pittance in savings whilst others are richer than 99.99% of British nationals.

Also, how do immigrants 'erode' a nation's history? Surely they just become a part of it, similar to the way that immigrants have become a part of the United States' history?
Original post by effofex
Most Indians tend to be Hindu.
Most Pakistanis and Indonesians tend to be Muslim.
Most Philippinos and Europeans tend to be Christian.

Your point being? Are you trying to guess the religious demographics of the UAE by the ethnicity numbers, without looking at the recorded religious demographics - where Islam is commands a strong majority?

Within those immigrant groups there are many different social strata too. Also, most Islamic fatalities in violent conflicts have been inflicted by others claiming to be 'Islamic' as well. Ethnicity appears to be a pretty large divider in conflicts in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan and Kurdestan, regardless of the fact that in all those regions the dominant religion is Islam.

That doesn't appear to be much of an issue in the UAE.
But if Britain did become a White minority state then 73% of the country would no longer be unhappy because less than half the country would be White. Surely?

Anyway it's not going to happen and it certainly isn't racist. It's naturally to want your nation to be primarily filled with your nationality of people.
Reply 53
Original post by AClockworkOrange
:lolwut:

Speak for yourself.

I wouldn't care, I always put in terms of football. I wouldn't care if most of the players in the Nigerian team were white. As long as they call themselves Nigerian and are the best who cares.

But If I imagine black people becoming a minority in Nigeria, I wouldn't care that much. The only thing is that white people can't just live in a non-white country, they have to try and run it. :dontknow: Just saying.

white wannabes who see whites as superior are the people who run nigeria though, which is in my opinion worse than having actual whites running the country.

i've never in my life met a middle class or upper class nigerian who can even speak a nigerian language. they all speak english as their first language - YEAH AND I THOUGHT INDIANS WERE BAD, NIGERIANS ARE EVEN WORSE THEN!!!

that small middle and upper class who is like 1% of nigeria, they all try too hard to be like english people, to the point of erasing their language. that is so pathetic.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by effofex
Wrong, I'm pretty sure an expatriate is only eligible to apply for British citizenship (which must be held in order to get a UK passport) after at least 5 (likely to be changed to 7) continuous years of law-abiding residence within the UK.

Figure of speech brochacha.

My point is you cannot compare the UK and the UAE. Believe me. They are two completely different systems. The UAE NEEDS immigrants to function, and that is the reason they are there. I lived there for 10 years. Expats are there to do a job, that is all. That is written in the contract (which are 2-3 years). No government benefits exits, and you are classed as vastly inferior to the 'locals'. My friend from high school was born there and grew up there, and his parents have been there for 30 years. Is he anywhere close to citizenship? Hell no!

The UK does not require immigrants at all to function, and yet the general policy seems to be 'the more the merrier'. I just cannot understand this, that is all.
Reply 55
Original post by Redkicker
why is it that england, and most of the developed european countries allow in so many foreigners? it's not about little groups of people immigrating, it is mass immigration that has changed the makeup of this country only within a few years. how is that even justifiable or even fair on the native british population?

and then on the other hand you have japan which is still almost 100% japanese. why is this? why is europe so different to japan that we let in so many immigrants, but japan is so against it?

Immigrants don't want to learn Japanese.
:rolleyes:
:facepalm2:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Redkicker
foreigners in their country are not citizens or even planning on being there permanently.

You can be there for as long as you wish to work there. Retirement there becomes very difficult however.
Reply 58
Your point being? Are you trying to guess the religious demographics of the UAE by the ethnicity numbers, without looking at the recorded religious demographics - where Islam is commands a strong majority?

That doesn't appear to be much of an issue in the UAE

Christians and Hindus form significant minorities in the UAE.

Ethnicity doesn't appear to be a huge spark for unrest in the UAE. Neither does it appear to be a huge catalyst for unrest in Amsterdam (where there are 177 nationalities represented). Neither does it appear to be a huge catalyst for unrest in London - which is the most multiethnic city in the UK.
Reply 59
Original post by AClockworkOrange
Yeah, you're right, but it's not English people, it's American people. The accents put on are so funny. It's quite sad really, the fact the I know yoruba, when my cousins who live in Nigeria don't :rolleyes:.

yeah there is a lot of young nigerians in my university, same with at my sixth form college. they were nigerians straight from nigeria, and all spoke english as first language and couldnt speak the language of nigeria. its really shocking and sad tbh.

Latest

Trending

Trending