The Student Room Group

Economics Applicants 2011 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wezzler
maybee but i would of thought it would of had decent connections with birmingham firms. Well its my 5th choice so hopefully i won't be going there, and i dont think that table is entirely accurate, theres no way someone would earn more on average from portsmouth uni than leicester, when leicester is consistently top 20 aha.

I like how you've spread your Uni choices, alot more down to earth. Alot of people would have applied to 5 AAA courses cuz they think they're the best with AABC and AAA predicitions.

Just sayin'
Reply 241
Hey guys, thought i'd tell you about Economics at Nottingham Trent.
Nottingham Trent has quite low grade requirements but the degrees themselves are actually really good. For example, we are 2nd in terms of Student Satisfaction which i would say is pretty good. I've been here 2 months and i'm really enjoying it.
For the first year, Economics and Business Economics pupils do the exact same modules which are as follows:
Introduction to Economic theory - starts off with the sort of thing that you learn at A level but now we're moving onto Indifference Curves which is pretty new to me, the main person behind that is Andy Cooke, all of the lectures are brilliant in their own way, Andy will sometimes go off topic and suddenly have a few slides in his powerpoint about how to survive an anaconda attack
Quantitative Economics - This is just a posh word for saying maths, it will be very simple to those who did it at A level but, you finally get to see how things like Quadratic Equations are used in real life, taught by Phil Quinn who is also the head of the course, Phil is great for ending lectures after 20 minutes sometimes and is fantastic at giving out help in his seminars and getting you through the course
Business and Financial Economic Environment - This topic so far has focused a lot around the recent global economic downturn, it has also including some interesting lectures on taxation, taught at the moment by Dan Wheatley who graduated from Nottingham Trent not so long ago and so knows first hand how to get you through the course
Industrialisation - Name says it all really, it just tells you about how the grass roots for economic development occurred in different countries, also taught by Dan Wheatley.
Issues Policies and Principals - If you did A level economics, this is basically taking micro a lot further. For me this one of the most interesting modules, this is currently taught by Steve Dobson but he's leaving at Christmas
Career development skills - This is taking macro economics further. Currently the lectures have been about looking at GDP in very fine detail. Taught by Dean Garratt this term who is one of the funniest lecturers going, he must make at least 20 sexual innuendos in a lecture.
So if you're thinking about doing economics then think Nottingham Trent, my friend at Nottingham University is currently hating economics and is dropping it next year to take politics instead because he said it's just 100% maths!
Everything about Nottingham is brilliant, the clubs, the student union, the people and the courses, if anyone wants more details then just message me or post on here :smile:
Applied for: (Sent off 11th Nov '10)

City University - Waiting for a reply.
Queen Mary - Waiting for a reply.
Kingston - Conditional offer.
Westminster - Waiting for a reply.
Hertfordshire - Waiting for a reply.

How are your applications going? :smile:
Kingston - Conditional Offer - 260 UCAS Points
Brunel - Awaiting reply
Hertfodshire - Awaiting Reply
Reading - Awaiting Reply
Coventry - Awaiting Reply
Reply 244
Thanks mate quicker feedback... I have applied for BA economics at Trent... I just want to know exactly how much Maths is involved in the course as this probably my weaker subject... I am currently studying economics in my business alevel course and it amazing..
Reply 245
Send me yur email so we can spk in more detail thanks mate
has anyone got any offers yet?
Reply 247
Original post by i.love.heroes
has anyone got any offers yet?

SOAS- Awaiting reply
City-Offer-AAB
Surrey-Offer- ABB
Essex -Offer- ABD
Brunel- Offer- BBC
Reply 248
just got a conditional offer from newcastle. not my first choice but im still pleased!
Reply 249
I've applied to Bristol, Lancaster, Nottingham, Leicester and Stirling.
No offers yet, but only sent off a week today.
Original post by faizahc
SOAS- Awaiting reply
City-Offer-AAB
Surrey-Offer- ABB
Essex -Offer- ABD
Brunel- Offer- BBC

what are your predicted grades ?
Original post by i.love.heroes
i applied for economics and business but i only sent it off last week. have you heard anything yet?

nope, nothing, that's why I'm a bit worried :frown:
Original post by faizahc
SOAS- Awaiting reply
City-Offer-AAB
Surrey-Offer- ABB
Essex -Offer- ABD
Brunel- Offer- BBC

you've got loads! when did you send it off?
Reply 253
Leeds - AAA
Loughborough - AAB
Lancaster - AAB
Newcastle - AAB
York - AAB
(edited 13 years ago)
guys just got an email from nottingham:

Thank you for your application to study BA (Honours)/BSc (Honours) L100 Economics at the University of Nottingham.

As you may be aware this programme is very popular, attracting large numbers of applications from highly qualified candidates. In accordance with UCAS guidelines we must give equal consideration to all applications that we receive up until the 15 January deadline, and therefore we are required to put your application on hold for a short time.

We realise that you will want to be notified of our decision as soon as possible, and we will not hold your application unnecessarily. We aim to process your form as soon as we can and you should expect to hear from us by the end of February 2011 at the latest. Details will be communicated to you through the UCAS system in the usual manner.

We appreciate your patience and thank you for your interest in the University of Nottingham.

Yours sincerely

The Undergraduate Admissions Team
Admissions Office
The University of Nottingham
University Park
Nottingham
NG7 2RD
Tel: + 44 (0)115 95 14749
Fax: + 44 (0)115 95 14668
www.nottingham.ac.uk/admissions

can someone please tell me what this means? is it a good or a bad sign?
It means don't expect to hear from them until Feb, and this email is sent to all local applicants (for L100) regardless of their academic backgrounds, so don't worry about it.
Reply 256
hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know my position:

Oxford: Interview
UCL: Offer
LSE: Offer
Bristol: Offer
Birmingham: Still Waiting

SOOoooooo happy :biggrin:D
Reply 257
Original post by wag1bgirl
hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know my position:

Oxford: Interview
UCL: Offer
LSE: Offer
Bristol: Offer
Birmingham: Still Waiting

SOOoooooo happy :biggrin:D

Wow that is super good! Congrats! :biggrin:
York - AAB soooo happy!!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by LethalResistant
It means don't expect to hear from them until Feb, and this email is sent to all local applicants (for L100) regardless of their academic backgrounds, so don't worry about it.

I applied to Notts, but no acknowledgement :frown: been 2 weeks now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending