The Student Room Group

2011 Graduate Entry Medicine Applicants - Interviews, Offers etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Another grad app here..acknowledgement's only for;
Kings (4yr)
Kings (5yr)
Barts (4yr)
Warwick

yeh i got that barts/warwick email aswell...any advantages in subscribing??
Reply 61
Hi,

What kind of questions do they ask in a GEM interview? Do they ask any academical questions? I am currently studying an undergraduate course in one of the allied health professions but I'm thinking of applying for a deferred entry to Graduate Medicine. I'm quite scared as I have never been asked any academical questions at my interviews before so I really don't know what to expect :shy2:

Also, if you have any tips for me, that would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Feeble
Hi,

What kind of questions do they ask in a GEM interview? Do they ask any academical questions? I am currently studying an undergraduate course in one of the allied health professions but I'm thinking of applying for a deferred entry to Graduate Medicine. I'm quite scared as I have never been asked any academical questions at my interviews before so I really don't know what to expect :shy2:

Also, if you have any tips for me, that would be much appreciated :smile:

All depends on the uni you apply to, some use a tour of the facilities with a rep and a admissions officer as an interview, some are the formal sit down in front of a board, and some are more practical based. These are known as MMI's (multi-mini interview) where you go from desk to desk and are asked several short (5 minute) questions. These range from asking about your previous work, to telling an actor you ran over her cat.
Reply 63
I've been lurking here for a while and I'm finally deciding to come out of the woodworks:biggrin:

anyway here is my situation!

I have an A*AA in Human Bio. Chem. and Law,and a b in As maths

I would have done a degree in medicine but due to me doing a couple of retakes after the 2 years of a-levels and not being prepared enough for ukcat (I got 650), and not having really made up my mind on medicine.
I decided to do a Bio-med degree instead, with an intention of doing graduate medicine.

Anyways do you need a job as a HCA to be considered?, do you need a post-graduate degree? is volunteering enough?

can you apply with a predicted grade at degree level, or do you
need to have a solid degree under your belt first?
(edited 13 years ago)
No, you don't need a HCA job, but it helps. Same with volunteering. No, you do not need a postgrad degree. You can apply with a prediction.
Original post by medicine2011
Also, anyone get an interview at Oxford or know what the UKCAT cutoff was out of interest?
One of the girls at my work has an interview at Ox on the 17th of this month. I don't think they have an official UKCAT cut-off - they look at all aspects of your application and I get the impression that they consider your degree when selecting for interview. I also think they're less bothered about hands-on work experience.

I've lurked around the board for quite a number of years now, popping in and out, and after going on about it for years I've finally applied for GEM at:

SGUL - interview 13th Jan
Notts - email saying I made cut-off and await interview offer
Swansea - acknowledged only
Keele - acknowledged only

My GAMSAT weighted score was 60 (60,75,53), I worked 3 years as an HCA during my degree (2.1 in psychology from Oxford) and have spent the last 18 months in psychiatry research, and am generally a bit obsessed with medicine and spend my life boring people talking about it. So in order to give my workmates a break I really need to get on the 2011 course :biggrin:

Anyone listen to Ben Goldacre on the World Service this morning? Good half-hour programme about science and libel.
Original post by Mika'il
Anyways do you need a job as a HCA to be considered?, do you need a post-graduate degree? is volunteering enough?
Answers on a postcard: no, only if you have 2.2, and it depends.

Having been both an HCA and done volunteering I know without a doubt which one was more valuable for me. You shouldn't just want to be an HCA because it's a "hoop" to jump to get into med school, IMHO it is the best experience possible. You learn a lot about daily life on the wards, your ability to cope with bodily fluids and being thrown in at the deep end. Once I realised I wanted to be a doctor I made friends with some of the docs on my ward and shadowed them and got some great advice. I met people who realised they wanted to work in health care by being an HCA, but also people who realised that they didn't. I know it's hard to get NHS jobs at the moment because recruitment is down, but definitely give it a try because you'll learn a lot about yourself!
Reply 67
Original post by sweetchilli
Interview at Glasgow 14th Dec. Really chuffed. Nothing from others though expect rejection from Newcastle on account of UKCAT.

have you heard anything back from dundee or aberdeen? i'm trying to make myself feel better by thinking maybe they look at graduates separately from undergrads...?
Original post by CathyBee
have you heard anything back from dundee or aberdeen? i'm trying to make myself feel better by thinking maybe they look at graduates separately from undergrads...?

Nothing from either yet with regards to interviews. Just acknowledgements. On dundee forum, someone was notified on mydundee email so you could check there. :wink:
Reply 69
I said I'd do the Bart's/Warwick thing together IF I got an interview. Weird situation, that. But saves me a trip over if I did get them!
Hi,

Has anyone heard anything from southampton or know around what time of year people hear?

I've applied for all GEM

Birmingham: Interview 24th Jan
Warwick:
Soton:
Oxford: Rejection

x
Reply 71
Hey, I have noticed that lots of people have been given interview dates for sgul. I applied there, and my gamsat score was 65 (and I met all of the minimum entry requirements) but I still haven't heard anything. Would you mind telling me how you heard (post/email) and is anyone else still waiting like me???

Original post by medicine2011
Hi,

Has anyone heard anything from southampton or know around what time of year people hear?

x

Southampton start giving offers in Jan and carry on until around April.

GEP:
Oxford: rejected
Warwick: acknowledged
Newcastle: acknowledged
Southampton: acknowledged
Reply 73
to all kings grad apps..just rang admissions and was told all MMI invitees will be notified before XMAS!!!! BUT if you do not hear it does not mean you have been rejected :s
Reply 74
Original post by Carr-Agger
to all kings grad apps..just rang admissions and was told all MMI invitees will be notified before XMAS!!!! BUT if you do not hear it does not mean you have been rejected :s

How does that work if the interviews are in January?
Reply 75
Original post by becca89
Hey, I have noticed that lots of people have been given interview dates for sgul. I applied there, and my gamsat score was 65 (and I met all of the minimum entry requirements) but I still haven't heard anything. Would you mind telling me how you heard (post/email) and is anyone else still waiting like me???

I heard through e-mail. I have gmail but it ended up in my junkmail, it's worth checking there.
Original post by Carr-Agger

But how does that work then as it says this in the MyApp page:

"GPEP interviews follow the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) system. Interviewees circulate from one timed station to another. At each station candidates meet one or two interviewers who ask structured questions and mark the responses to the questions independently. MMI is similar in style (but not content) to the short objective structured clinical examinations (OSCE) used in medical school assessment. The MMI interviews will take place on the 11th and 12th January 2011 and applicants should ensure they are free to attend an interview at this time as alternative dates cannot be offered."

Unless they do a second round of MMI's?
Original post by 2bIncognito
But how does that work then as it says this in the MyApp page:

"GPEP interviews follow the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) system. Interviewees circulate from one timed station to another. At each station candidates meet one or two interviewers who ask structured questions and mark the responses to the questions independently. MMI is similar in style (but not content) to the short objective structured clinical examinations (OSCE) used in medical school assessment. The MMI interviews will take place on the 11th and 12th January 2011 and applicants should ensure they are free to attend an interview at this time as alternative dates cannot be offered."

Unless they do a second round of MMI's?

Hey, I imagine it's because they are still continuing to consider you for the 5-year course. If you read the GEP course description it says that when you apply for the GEP program they will also automatically consider you for the 5-yr.

Has anyone been invited for any interviews by then yet?

Also anyone know what's going on with barts because they also interview in jan?
Original post by jumpinthehurdles
Hey, I imagine it's because they are still continuing to consider you for the 5-year course. If you read the GEP course description it says that when you apply for the GEP program they will also automatically consider you for the 5-yr.

Has anyone been invited for any interviews by then yet?

Also anyone know what's going on with barts because they also interview in jan?

Yes I read that too-would that then be from all those who meet GPEP min requirements inc UKCAT min req-but just not strong enough for GPEP who they would consider for 5yr or would it be everyone who applies...?

I guess if you haven't heard about the GPEP by Xmas and have no rejection then you're automatically being considered for 5yr...

Maybe Barts is the same? I know they don't consider you for 5th nut if interviews for GEP are Jan then you'd pretty much need to know this side of Xmas or early new year.
Reply 79
Original post by 2bIncognito
Yes I read that too-would that then be from all those who meet GPEP min requirements inc UKCAT min req-but just not strong enough for GPEP who they would consider for 5yr or would it be everyone who applies...?

I guess if you haven't heard about the GPEP by Xmas and have no rejection then you're automatically being considered for 5yr...

Maybe Barts is the same? I know they don't consider you for 5th nut if interviews for GEP are Jan then you'd pretty much need to know this side of Xmas or early new year.

I think they will only consider you for the 5yr IF they call you for the MMI. I think out of the people they call for MMI ~25% are offered the 4yr and a further 25% offered onto the 5yr. I dont think you get considered for the 5yr if you DO NOT get called for the MMI.

When I questioned the admissions woman on this she said just in case they decide to consider anyone (i.e if not enough people choose kings for the 4yr..very unlikely)

All in all I think they wont reject you immediately for their own security BUT if you dont get called for an MMI chances are slim (obv not if you also applied seperately to the 5yr)..thats my understanding..plz let me knw if im misunderstood!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending