The Student Room Group

Question for medics/those who've been through the process

Do any medics/wannabe medics here suffer from palmar hyperhidrosis (Excessive sweating of hands)? Does it hinder you at all/was it a problem when applying to medicine? How do you deal with it on a day to day basis?
Reply 1
I don't have a diagnosis but I do tend to get 'sweaty hands', never a problem when I applied, it used to make me self-conscious at work, doesn't bother me now I just crack on with the job.
Reply 2
Original post by Renal
I don't have a diagnosis but I do tend to get 'sweaty hands', never a problem when I applied, it used to make me self-conscious at work, doesn't bother me now I just crack on with the job.

Thanks for the reply :-)

Did it happen during your interviews for medicine? I've just been worrying that they could interpret that as "not being able to deal with stress" even if you're completely calm on the outside. and it's mainly a physical symptom that is completely out of the person's control so you might be brilliant at dealing with stress but that can still happen when it wants to, you know? Mine happens completely at random, it is worse if I'm nervous but it can happen even with no trigger. makes you dread shaking hands with people!
Wear nitrile gloves to your interviews. Your interviewers will think you're merely practising good infection control!
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Wear nitrile gloves to your interviews. Your interviewers will think you're merely practising good infection control!

I hope this was a joke :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by nicolaangel
I hope this was a joke :tongue:

yeah, probably was lol
Reply 6
Spray deodorant on your hands? Dunno if that works though.
Reply 7
Original post by DingDong!
Spray deodorant on your hands? Dunno if that works though.
No, the Lynx Effect is a myth.

(I presume you meant, and I use that word in it's loosest sense, antiperspirant which makes you, er, perspire less rather than smell like a teenager's bathroom - but even if you had, you'd still be wrong since you really meant one of the aluminium based antiperspirant creams for hands)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending