The Student Room Group

The English Defence League and what they stand for

Another discussion starting thread. I like discussions, it helps people understand things better and easier and understanding other viewpoints enables one to justify their own viewpoint.

So, the English Defence League are a far-right organisation working towards the exclusion of Islam in the west, especially in the United Kingdom.

They calim to want to stop 'extremism' and have defined it as worshiping God and following the Prophet Muhammad PBUH. Is that really extremism? What do you guys think extremism is?

I mean, they claim to protest peacefully and they claim to go against 'extreme' Islam only. I've been to their demonstrations, as a viewer and have heard things such as 'F*** Allah'. What's this, God is an extremist? Silly people. In major British cities such as Birmingham and Leicester women and elderlly were attacked simply for being Muslim and dressing like one. I've even seen them attack a Sikh, which is funny because they're against Islam!

(I'm at school at the moment and YouTube is banned, I will be posting evidence so don't ask for it.) However, here's one video of an attack on Muslims in Big Johns: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b8b_1289907618.

I'm Muslim and I follow the Prophet Muhammad (may peace be Upon Him). He is the greatest man ever and no other can be like Him.
Reply 1
Yes they claim they only want to stop extremism but the fact of the matter is a fair majority of them are racist (whether they like it or not) thugs, and the rest are naive for thinking anything good will come of the EDL.
Reply 2
Bump.
You could say they are a modern version of the National Front
Reply 4
They are attempting to marginalise British Muslims.
Reply 5
ITT: people confusing what an organisation stands for with the bigoted beliefs of a very large proportion of its members.
Reply 6
Original post by Manitude
ITT: people confusing what an organisation stands for with the bigoted beliefs of a very large proportion of its members.

I would say that "what they stand for" is more an attempt of a justification for their behavior rather then a cause for it.

I see no serious attempts of the "islamification" of this country and domestic extremism is largely bred in the areas that they march through shouting derogatory terms. Their purpose to exist is based on a myth encouraged by tabloid articles and far right organizations who lazily slop together a weak load of propaganda which is easily disproved.
Reply 7
Original post by adam_zed
I would say that "what they stand for" is more an attempt of a justification for their behavior rather then a cause for it.

I see no serious attempts of the "islamification" of this country and domestic extremism is largely bred in the areas that they march through shouting derogatory terms. Their purpose to exist is based on a myth encouraged by tabloid articles and far right organizations who lazily slop together a weak load of propaganda which is easily disproved.

Originally their purpose was to fight extremist islam in the UK. That's not a "myth" made by "tabloid articles and far right organisations" it's a real and present danger. I'll admit it's not as big as the tabloids make out, but it is there.

I won't deny that a very large number of its members have very little to do with the official cause of the EDL, but to say that at its inception there was dishonesty in what they said they stood for is slightly dubious.
I won't say how, but I was in contact with a number of people who were very aware of the EDL soon after it started and many of them were members very near the start of the organisation. I can confirm that their cause was not against islam as a whole, but extremism.
Reply 8
If you want to get rid of extremist Muslim's then rather than marching and such you should try to engage with Muslims and not alienate them.
Reply 9
They came to Peterborough last weekend, just came to the city centre shouted for a bit then went home. A few of them broke up from the main rally to charge the counter protest but didn't realise they were outnumbered by the 100 Muslims on the other side, they tried to run away but a few got left behind to get kicked in.

They blocked off Muslim communities with vans and police lines when both protests were underway and didn't allow Muslim groups to go to the city centre.

Reply 10
Original post by Manitude
Originally their purpose was to fight extremist islam in the UK. That's not a "myth" made by "tabloid articles and far right organisations" it's a real and present danger. I'll admit it's not as big as the tabloids make out, but it is there.

I won't deny that a very large number of its members have very little to do with the official cause of the EDL, but to say that at its inception there was dishonesty in what they said they stood for is slightly dubious.
I won't say how, but I was in contact with a number of people who were very aware of the EDL soon after it started and many of them were members very near the start of the organisation. I can confirm that their cause was not against islam as a whole, but extremism.

No I was referring to the supposed "Islamification" of the UK as being a myth. "To fight extremist Islam"?! Yes, no doubt that there are countless cases of Muslim youth who go through a period of extreme thought, as youth do with political affiliation. However, I dont think it really alleviates the feeling of oppression some of these people feel (whether it exists or not) when you have a group of aggressive men marching through Islamic communities throwing insults.

I believe that these people are drawn to the idea that they form some sort of resistance group fighting for good over evil. Please explain how, even if domestic extremism was a potent problem (not denying its existence, thats dumb but I am saying that the way EDL go on, you would think that its a bigger problem than it is) how marching around and provoking these people as well as non-extremist Muslims at all counters the problem?
Reply 11
Original post by adam_zed
No I was referring to the supposed "Islamification" of the UK as being a myth. "To fight extremist Islam"?! Yes, no doubt that there are countless cases of Muslim youth who go through a period of extreme thought, as youth do with political affiliation. However, I dont think it really alleviates the feeling of oppression some of these people feel (whether it exists or not) when you have a group of aggressive men marching through Islamic communities throwing insults.

I believe that these people are drawn to the idea that they form some sort of resistance group fighting for good over evil. Please explain how, even if domestic extremism was a potent problem (not denying its existence, thats dumb but I am saying that the way EDL go on, you would think that its a bigger problem than it is) how marching around and provoking these people as well as non-extremist Muslims at all counters the problem?

I never said what the EDL are actually doing was a good thing! I don't support them in any way, I was just pointing out that their official cause is one which everyone who wants to live in a civilised country should agree with.
I'm not sure they really 'stand for' anything. I think it's more that they're tapping into disaffection amongst the public in an attempt to further their aims.
Two friends of mine are members of EDL and one has just started his army training. I'm not saying I support what EDL stands for but I respect their right as individuals to support what they believe is a good cause - standing up to those who humiliate the heritage of the UK and everything it stands for and take advantage of our ridiculously PC society - anyone who says that the islamification of the UK is not a possibility is being very naive!
People need to take a heavy dose of reality - urgently. The UK is not turning muslim and Mosques aren't flying up everywhere, this is just a stupid group.

'Islamification of the UK' does not exist. Even I know this is stupid and I'm not even muslim let alone from the middle east. This is just a racist organisation, using Muslims as an excuse to cause some trouble
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SoaringStar
People need to take a heavy dose of reality - urgently. The UK is not turning muslim and Mosques aren't flying up everywhere, this is just a stupid group.

'Islamification of the UK' does not exist. Even I know this is stupid and I'm not even muslim let alone from the middle east. This is just a racist organisation, using Muslims as an excuse to cause some trouble

I think if Islam4UK can exist, the EDL should be allowed to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending