The Student Room Group

Bad Internship

I got an internship at a top tier law firm with the help of my family's contact, however, the internship went really bad. I just got one assignment. Unlike my friends who are interning at other firms, they got decent amount of work. I feel very embarrassed and sad and super under-confident. I was really looking forward to it.
Reply 1
You don't say how your internship went badly? Do not become disheartened on your own internal critique. Understand that most lawyers will also remember their own painful internship and will usually do their best to help you (not all but disregard those that can't)

Do you base your assertion on just 'one' assignment or was there more to this? Were you tasked with a brief and you felt you didn't match up to it or do you know that for sure? Was it a presentational issue? Did you miss a vital but obvious chance to challenge a case based on what was alleged to have occurred or where the statutory defences or stated cases gave a chance to challenge? Did you spend your time working wisely? Did you show determination, tenacity and a good work ethic?

You might have been given one assignment initially to see how you fare - but it all depends on the amount of work required on that one assignment? Some can be life consuming with in depth summaries that take many hours to read through. You could have had several short assignments like your friends that take far less time? It is difficult to make a like by like comparison with your friends when you have no idea of the type of cases they have taken on, or of the standing of the supervision at other law firms.

What matters absolutely is your attention to detail and being thorough, methodical and have an eye for detail at the same time thinking outside of the box. The 'what if' exploring circumstance and never taking things at face value.

How was your relationship with your colleagues. Did you ask for help or advice when you needed it? How do you know you are not fairing very well, who has said something to you directly or reported back to you on your performance? Don't guess, you could have been thrown a particularly difficult assignment and the firm are waiting to see how you react. It is all too easy to be super critical, particularly if you don't like making mistakes and are a perfectionist. You wouldn't ever have been taken on by the firm if they thought you were a failure in the making (they would have apologised and said they had no vacancies) Regardless most firms will do all they can to help you if you are willing to work hard and show resilience?

If you need feedback approach your supervisor and ask. It is not the quantity of work but how you have dealt with it that matters. Attention to detail is everything. Ask what you could do to improve and how you feel. Work out how you can skim read or mark each noteworthy section. Make notes on research you need to do, or what areas in the case you need to revisit. Iron out every ambiguity. Learn how to make crib notes for presentations. Deal with the facts and then see how you can apply legislation and defences.

But don't destroy yourself before you have even started on supposition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending