The Student Room Group

Possible to teach yourself GCSE maths from GCSE maths in a week book?

Is it possible to teach yourelf GCSE maths from a revision book or is that just a ridiculous question?

I have a C in GCSE maths from years and years ago, but want an A or a B. I did level 2 maths recently as part of a course I'm doing and without any teaching whatsoever (teach chucked me straight in for the exam) I found it relatively comfortable.

So do you guys think it is possible?
Yes. but depends on your prior knowledge. as a beginner, realistically 1 week is impossible. if your returning to maths, having studied it before its totally possible - i'm living proof.
Reply 2
Original post by Peace0fM1nd
Yes. but depends on your prior knowledge. as a beginner, realistically 1 week is impossible. if your returning to maths, having studied it before its totally possible - i'm living proof.

Thanks for replying so quick!

It was probably a bit silly of me to use GCSE in a week as an example. What I really mean is using any GCSE revision book and maybe studying for six months or so in the evening and then sitting an exam.

Do you teach yourself maths?
Original post by MongooseLicker

It was probably a bit silly of me to use GCSE in a week as an example. What I really mean is using any GCSE revision book and maybe studying for six months or so in the evening and then sitting an exam.

Pleasure :wink: and yes, I taught myself. Having left education for some years, I returned and had lots of catching up to do to fulfill my plans to go uni. so i studied Maths again at college, but most of all I spent endless hours teaching myself from revision books. Now im doin engineering and i love maths - ats funny coz in school im the same person who hated maths :confused:
Reply 4
Original post by MongooseLicker

I used CGP revision guide for edexcel and I did just this last year in year 12 without a teacher. I got a C at GCSE and got an A at the end of last year. And this was along with all my other subjects.

If you have prior knowledge then yes you can do it. Just remember to read the book and do past papers.
Definitely!
I self taught the majority of my Int 2 maths course (Pretty much the scottish equivalent of GSCE) as I was in hospital at the time, and had no problems.

Quick Reply

Latest