The Student Room Group

alevel languages

because of things at my school, i have to choose between doing a level german or spanish and im struggling to decide- need help asap 😭

i’m getting 9s in both right now and ive always been good at languages but im still unsure

Spanish:
I find it a lot easier (because its similar to french- which I’m fluent in)
it’s becoming more popular as a language
i have friends in spain that i can practice with
BUT
the school i’d do it at is farther away than the school that does german (and my school doesn’t provide a minibus to get there)
because i have friends from spain, i can teach myself spanish and practice with them- plus it’s easier to teach myself

German:
0.3% of alevels taken is for german which means that i could benefit from speaking the language and increased opportunities because it’s becoming rarer
i do definitely enjoy it and i cant teach myself it at home
the school is a lot closer to walk to
BUT
it’s a harder language
i prefer spanish at the moment (although i still enjoy german)
spanish is becoming more popular for a reason and maybe german just isn’t as useful anymore

(For reference, i’m planning on taking chemistry and politics as my other two alevels)

please send help 🙏
Original post by hanalei24
because of things at my school, i have to choose between doing a level german or spanish and im struggling to decide- need help asap 😭

i’m getting 9s in both right now and ive always been good at languages but im still unsure

Spanish:
BUT
the school i’d do it at is farther away than the school that does german (and my school doesn’t provide a minibus to get there)
because i have friends from spain, i can teach myself spanish and practice with them- plus it’s easier to teach myself

German:
0.3% of alevels taken is for german which means that i could benefit from speaking the language and increased opportunities because it’s becoming rarer
BUT
it’s a harder language
spanish is becoming more popular for a reason and maybe german just isn’t as useful anymore

(For reference, i’m planning on taking chemistry and politics as my other two alevels)

please send help 🙏
Hi,

Choosing your options is a big decision so please don't worry. After reading your post and pros and cons of both languages the best advice would be to take Spanish for the reason of you preferring it and enjoying it more.

At my sixth form we were given the opportunity to take 4 a-levels for the first half-term or if we wanted to carry it on for either the AS level or straight through and get 4 a-levels so speak to someone and see whether you could take both for the first few weeks and get a feel of them and see what teaching is like and which you would prefer and then take it from there

Hope this helps, Ella

Spanish:
BUT

German:
BUT
it’s a harder language

please send help 🙏
i currently do aqa spanish - let me know if you need any more advice :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador

Spanish:
BUT

German:
BUT
it’s a harder language

please send help 🙏
Hi,

Choosing your options is a big decision so please don't worry. After reading your post and pros and cons of both languages the best advice would be to take Spanish for the reason of you preferring it and enjoying it more.

At my sixth form we were given the opportunity to take 4 a-levels for the first half-term or if we wanted to carry it on for either the AS level or straight through and get 4 a-levels so speak to someone and see whether you could take both for the first few weeks and get a feel of them and see what teaching is like and which you would prefer and then take it from there

Hope this helps, Ella

hey ella,
unfortunately i can’t do both of the languages because they’re at completely different school and my school doesn’t allow on extra alevels except core maths or further maths. but thank you sm for the advice on spanish, i’ll have a think tonight so i can email my sixth form tomorrow
Reply 4
Original post by emm4nuella

Spanish:
BUT

German:
BUT
it’s a harder language

please send help 🙏

well i was wondering how similar it is to gcse content wise? do you find the topics interesting?
Hi,

Hope this helps, Ella

hey ella,
unfortunately i can’t do both of the languages because they’re at completely different school and my school doesn’t allow on extra alevels except core maths or further maths. but thank you sm for the advice on spanish, i’ll have a think tonight so i can email my sixth form tomorrowHi,

Have you had the opportunity to visit each place and have a taster day - if not ask whether this could be possible to see what a lesson would be like, what the teachers are like, how they teach, whether you could see yourself studying there etc. if a taster day isn't possible then even just visiting and looking round should be.

Hope that helps, Ella
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi,

Hope this helps, Ella

hey ella,
unfortunately i can’t do both of the languages because they’re at completely different school and my school doesn’t allow on extra alevels except core maths or further maths. but thank you sm for the advice on spanish, i’ll have a think tonight so i can email my sixth form tomorrow
Hi,

Have you had the opportunity to visit each place and have a taster day - if not ask whether this could be possible to see what a lesson would be like, what the teachers are like, how they teach, whether you could see yourself studying there etc. if a taster day isn't possible then even just visiting and looking round should be.

Hope that helps, Ella

hi,

i’ll see if i can do that but i doubt it as ive missed the open evenings as i assumed spanish would come to my school (which obviously didnt happen). i’ll see if i can find someone who i can ask who currently studies it at that school because i think i need to decide by tomorrow

Spanish:
BUT

German:
BUT
it’s a harder language

please send help 🙏
Take German, Politics and Chemistry and perhaps AS or A-Level Maths too? 😉

You could study Spanish as an External Private Candidate with AQA or Edexcel?

Campbell Harris College here in London on High Street Kensington, London, W8 6SH provides opportunity to sit the A-Levels in French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian and Chinese. There is a supplement fee for the Speaking component, but it is the only Centre in the entire UK which offers it I believe?

Also remember, if you're doing AQA, there is one huge 50% half marks of your A-Level in Spanish for Listening, Reading and Writing and then 2 essays which are about 300 words each and a IRP project and speaking exam. It is an easy A grade if you prepare and maybe A* if you are exceptional!!! 😀 lol

How to register | Campbell Harris

Campbell Harris books exam halls locally in Kensington, and has around 2,000 mature students registering for all kinds of exams each year.

well i was wondering how similar it is to gcse content wise? do you find the topics interesting?i would say it is a big jump from gcse to a level but it is manageable so don't worry! have you taken a look at the spec - might find that more useful ❤️
Reply 9
Original post by emm4nuella

well i was wondering how similar it is to gcse content wise? do you find the topics interesting?
i would say it is a big jump from gcse to a level but it is manageable so don't worry! have you taken a look at the spec - might find that more useful ❤️

thank you! yeah i will have a look but i sent the email and ive chosen spanish because it’s definitely my preferred one 😊
i would say it is a big jump from gcse to a level but it is manageable so don't worry! have you taken a look at the spec - might find that more useful ❤️

thank you! yeah i will have a look but i sent the email and ive chosen spanish because it’s definitely my preferred one 😊yayyyyy ❤️ 🥳

Quick Reply

Latest