The Student Room Group

Can I complete the entire gcse maths curriculum in one day?

I'm a person who really enjoys maths and I'm looking for a challenge to see if I can complete the whole gcse maths syllabus in just one or two days.

I also want to complete it so that I don't struggle in lessons if we cover a topic I don't know well (as my maths teacher isn't that great).

Any advice on how I should go about doing this?
Original post by *LifeHappens*
I'm a person who really enjoys maths and I'm looking for a challenge to see if I can complete the whole gcse maths syllabus in just one or two days.

I also want to complete it so that I don't struggle in lessons if we cover a topic I don't know well (as my maths teacher isn't that great).

I don't think it would be physically possible and I wouldn't stress yourself out about it as you don't have to do it. It would be better to go over content that you find harder and maybe do a little reading ahead if you have time, but again, I wouldn't try and do this.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I don't think it would be physically possible and I wouldn't stress yourself out about it as you don't have to do it. It would be better to go over content that you find harder and maybe do a little reading ahead if you have time, but again, I wouldn't try and do this.

I see what you mean - would it still be ok if I was just doing it for fun and over a longer period of time?

The thing is that further maths content is being both integrated into what we're learning and taught separately and I haven't been given much guidance on it - so I was thinking if I learnt the syllabus in my own time for gcse maths I'd be able to distinguish between both further maths and gcse maths content and I'd be able to allocate my time properly to study both.
I see what you mean - would it still be ok if I was just doing it for fun and over a longer period of time?

The thing is that further maths content is being both integrated into what we're learning and taught separately and I haven't been given much guidance on it - so I was thinking if I learnt the syllabus in my own time for gcse maths I'd be able to distinguish between both further maths and gcse maths content and I'd be able to allocate my time properly to study both.

I would still probably say no, if you are going to do something for fun I would do something that isn't at all related to your GCSEs so then there are no stakes to it. I would do some work outside of lessons but probably no more than an hour or two outside of lessons per week.

I recommend compiling 1 or 2 questions for each topic, and the next day doing them. I think it's possible and if you wanna go for it, then I support you! My guess if you're doing a question each is that it will take you 8 hours in total.
Good luck! :smile:
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I would still probably say no, if you are going to do something for fun I would do something that isn't at all related to your GCSEs so then there are no stakes to it. I would do some work outside of lessons but probably no more than an hour or two outside of lessons per week.

Oh ok, thanks for the advice
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Fatimaaaaaaa
I recommend compiling 1 or 2 questions for each topic, and the next day doing them. I think it's possible and if you wanna go for it, then I support you! My guess if you're doing a question each is that it will take you 8 hours in total.
Good luck! :smile:

Thank you, I'll have a look at some past papers and then teach myself some bits that way, I'm planning to refer to the gcse maths tutor youtube channel as well - if I'm going ahead with studying the whole syllabus, however I'm still unsure.
Reply 7
Thank you, I'll have a look at some past papers and then teach myself some bits that way, I'm planning to refer to the gcse maths tutor youtube channel as well - if I'm going ahead with studying the whole syllabus, however I'm still unsure.

https://m4ths.com/gcse-help-book1.html
is a decent overview / revision guide and you can flick through it in a couple of hours, but as above, you only really learn it if you can do one years exam papers (as they are meant to cover the complete syllabus each year).
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by mqb2766
https://m4ths.com/uploads/3/5/2/1/35219558/lite_book_freecopy.pdf
is a decent overview / revision guide and you can flick through it in a couple of hours, but as above, you only really learn it if you can do one years exam papers (as they are meant to cover the complete syllabus each year).

ohh I see, thank you, the link isn't accessible, but I checked out the website and it's helpful
Reply 9
ohh I see, thank you, the link isn't accessible, but I checked out the website and it's helpful

For some reason copying the pdf url doesnt work so edited the previous post to point to the page which links it. Its a decent, free overview, like the corbett cards / revision guides / ...

I was predicted a 2 for my maths because i really didn’t understand anything. In the actual exam i got a 4 which is of course not amazing but to get a pass in foundation maths you need around 60-70%. In most of my mocks (which i failed) i would read over my book and revision notes to help me prepare. It never worked and made myself even more stressed than i already was. Once I got to year 11 i decided to do one past paper every week (revising questions i did not understand) until i could go from cover to cover with no help. This hugely improved my grade as i got them marked by my teacher and i saw my grade go from as low as a 1 to a 4.

Trying to learn all the content at one time will just cause unnecessary stress. Can I add that the more you try and cram, the less you will remember. Ask your teacher ways you can improve your grade for the exam.
Original post by mqb2766
For some reason copying the pdf url doesnt work so edited the previous post to point to the page which links it. Its a decent, free overview, like the corbett cards / revision guides / ...

Oh I had a look at the guide, it seems to include most if not all things I need to know, so I'll definitely make use of it!
Original post by notkierantho
I was predicted a 2 for my maths because i really didn’t understand anything. In the actual exam i got a 4 which is of course not amazing but to get a pass in foundation maths you need around 60-70%. In most of my mocks (which i failed) i would read over my book and revision notes to help me prepare. It never worked and made myself even more stressed than i already was. Once I got to year 11 i decided to do one past paper every week (revising questions i did not understand) until i could go from cover to cover with no help. This hugely improved my grade as i got them marked by my teacher and i saw my grade go from as low as a 1 to a 4.

Trying to learn all the content at one time will just cause unnecessary stress. Can I add that the more you try and cram, the less you will remember. Ask your teacher ways you can improve your grade for the exam.

It's true that it can cause me stress, however if I do decide to go along with it, I'm only treating it as an opportunity to learn more outside of school so that I feel a lot less stressed in lessons (because I don't understand anything in lessons and I go insane because of it, but when I reach home and do it in my own time it makes a lot more sense).

Also because I don't have any more exams coming up for the next 4-5 weeks at least, I thought I would use this time to do something that will benefit my gcse. Like you said, cramming isn't good, so perhaps I can spread it out over a longer time so I'm able to cover content more carefully.

Your welcome,
Imo, make GCSE maths tutor your best friend, as it will help a lot! He recently posted a video on covering every single question that can come up on an exam, which took him about 7 hours, and if he can do it, so can you. There is also a website that he made very conveniently that has past papers, practice booklets and revision guides, all free, so you can do them with ease! If you have any hesitance, don't worry, just start doing it and you'll be done soon. Also don't forget to take breaks; if it feels too much, take some time to recover, and then look back at it again when you're ready! :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Fatimaaaaaaa
Your welcome,
Imo, make GCSE maths tutor your best friend, as it will help a lot! He recently posted a video on covering every single question that can come up on an exam, which took him about 7 hours, and if he can do it, so can you. There is also a website that he made very conveniently that has past papers, practice booklets and revision guides, all free, so you can do them with ease! If you have any hesitance, don't worry, just start doing it and you'll be done soon. Also don't forget to take breaks; if it feels too much, take some time to recover, and then look back at it again when you're ready! :smile:

Thanks so much for the support - I just had a look at the website and I got the practice booklets emailed to me and they look great for practice! :smile:
I'm pretty sure when I revised for GCSE maths there were some youtube teachers covering the whole of GCSE AQA maths in around 4 hrs. You might not understand it though if you haven't already been taught it as it's going over everything rather than teaching from scratch. But you could check it out, just put whole of GCSE maths syllabus or something similar into Youtube.

I also recommend the CGP books, they lay everything out really clearly. Much easier to revise from than my notes!

Quick Reply

Latest