The Student Room Group

How much do you judge people based on their taste in music?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If people only listen to music from one genre (or just chart music) and don't try anything else I think they're fairly narrow-minded. I find it tedious when people conform to stereotypes, ie. black people only listening to Rap/Hip Hop (gonna get negged :rolleyes:).

I listen to a big range of stuff from Classic Rock to Electronic to Ice Cube. I don't like to say "eclectic", makes you sound like a prick.
Original post by Jono404
Amen, when I hear someone in their 20's say they listen to New Found Glory and Yellowcard etc I actually find it hard to believe.

I also hate the 'I listen to anything!' people who basically mean they listen to the most commercial overplayed group in every genre, ie Kings of Leon, David Guetta and Pendulum.

haha yeah, though I listen to most genres all the way from michael buble to trivium, band of horses to linkin park... and so on..though I usually cant stand highschoolmusical and such, techno and some subgenres of metal..
Meet someone, give a few bands they like a fair listen, disregard everything I find out and scoldingly remind myself that my taste owns the unfortunately inferior arses of everyone else's.
If they have the same tastes as me I automatically like them more, if they don't it doesn't really bother me.
No I don't, mainly because I've grown up to a sufficient extent to realise that music elitism is one of the worst kinds of dick measuring in existence and people who boast about the size of their CD collections are usually some of the most obnoxious people you will ever meet.

My two cents. :colonhash:
Quite a bit actually.
Original post by Misogynist
A lot. Mainly because it's your personality that dictates what kind of music you're drawn to, in my opinion. You can make a pretty good guess of what people are like by what kind of music they listen to.

And that's why you hate the World and the World hates you. :console: :colondollar:
Reply 27
I'm not judging to the extent where I say 'Oh, well you like rap so I'm not going to speak to you,' but I tend to like people with similar music tastes to mine. It's nice not to feel isolated from a conversation when it turns to music. Although I generally end up dislking people who are fans of emo/screamo... from experience they're major drama queens.

Can you accurately judge intelligence or class from music taste? Doesn't sound like an exact science to me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
like many infer here hip-hop is one of the finest forms of expression out there. That is, of course, once commercial rap is disregarded.
Original post by field
like many infer here hip-hop is one of the finest forms of expression out there. That is, of course, once commercial rap is disregarded.

yup, I agree same goes for rap and sometimes it comes in mashups like Papa Roach (metal band) started their "career" by being rap/hiphop/metal but then developed it to something edgier...
Reply 30
Original post by medbh4805
No I don't, mainly because I've grown up to a sufficient extent to realise that music elitism is one of the worst kinds of dick measuring in existence and people who boast about the size of their CD collections are usually some of the most obnoxious people you will ever meet.

My two cents. :colonhash:

It's just another facet of how broad someone's knowledge of culture is though. In my experience people who like dreadful films (Adam Sandler comedies, Hollywood box office fodder..) also seem to only bother with chart music.

I agree totally that music elitism is stupid, and I wouldn't dislike someone solely based on their music taste. However, I often find that people who have limited taste in music also don't know much about books, films, TV etc.. They just consume mainstream, easily digestible stuff and subsequently they are just not very interesting.
Reply 31
A person's music taste does not help me cast a jugement on them strongly but perhaps I am more energetic and conversational around people with similar tastes. Music is only a tiny aspect of a personality.
I don't think (well, I hope) I don't judge people on that basis. Except for screamo stuff....that, in my opinion, is not music :colonhash:.
Reply 33
"screamo" stuff can, in certain circumstances, be very intelligent and endearing. Ambient black metal artists such as Burzum and Alcest are quite complex musically while work composed by Kayo dot and maudlin of the Well, right on the edge of what is considered metal, is extremely technical, taking influence from classical composition, and, in my opinion, of great value. And, indeed, screams and growled vocals are integral to the sound of these artists. From my experience all genres of music have the capacity to genuinely move.
I never make assumptions about personality or class or whatever, but I do find it easier to talk to new people that have the same taste in music as me, purely because we usually both turn out to be quite ostentatious dressers and have overlapping film/fashion/etc interests too, so it's easier to click quickly, so yeah maybe in that respect it's important for 'getting on with them' better.
Reply 35
Original post by MizzCupcakes
haha yeah, though I listen to most genres all the way from michael buble to trivium, band of horses to linkin park... and so on..though I usually cant stand highschoolmusical and such, techno and some subgenres of metal..

You sum up the person on the first page who said that peopl who listen to most stuff seem to only listen to the most popular bands from said genres. I mean, Trivium?

/ironic judging of a person based on their music taste
Reply 36
Original post by Ultimate_Geek
I don't think (well, I hope) I don't judge people on that basis. Except for screamo stuff....that, in my opinion, is not music :colonhash:.

screamo stuff being bring me the horizon/emmure/brokencyde type thing or just extreme metal in general?

cause the latter has plenty of songcraft and subtlety that the former doesn't
For people I know the personality of, I can usually take a good stab at what they listen to.
The same works the other way round, on a lot of occasions.

Generally, my loud, boisterous friends like rap, hip hop, dubstep and things on that end of the musical spectrum. The more quiet, reclusive types more often listen to similar stuff to me.
Original post by tez.
You sum up the person on the first page who said that peopl who listen to most stuff seem to only listen to the most popular bands from said genres. I mean, Trivium?

/ironic judging of a person based on their music taste

I know though I thought I'd give a name that was reckond with, sometimes one listens to a band in their early years and they end up successful, I shouldnt have to prove myself to u but yeah I do listen to many genres and more of some than others and I dont particularly like all the subgenres of metal though some bands are exeptionally good
I'd say I judge a person's music taste quite harshly. But I don't judge them ON their music taste.

For example:

I deem my housemate's taste in music to be highly embarrassing.

I deem my housemate to be a good friend and a nice guy.

Quick Reply

Latest