The Student Room Group

Anglia Ruskin University and Investment Banking?

Scroll to see replies

do a masters in finance in cambridge then it is obvious you can get into ibanking....
Reply 21
You have no chance applying through the normal methods.

Let's be realistic here. IB is ridiculously competitive. Students from Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and Warwick have to fight hard to get in, let alone other unis such as Durham, Bristol etc. which are all a million times better than Anglia Ruskin. So many students from these unis, which I repeat, are a million times better than ARU, do not get into IBD.

So you're gonna need something ridiculously, insanely special to get into one of the top banks, or a few contacts.

Without this, I would rate your chances at 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001
Reply 22
Original post by Nichrome
Anglia Ruskin is in Cambridge right? And loads of IBs recruit from around there, so they're bound to end up recruiting a few Anglia Ruskiners! :biggrin: Go for it! :smile: :biggrin:

Loads of IBs recruit around London as well I think. So they're bound to recruit people from London South Bank, London Met and East London.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by eivoquraf
Loads of IBs recruit around London as well I think. So they're bound to recruit people from London South Bank, London Met and East London.

Do you know if it's too late to get a UCAS app in to those unis?
Reply 24
Original post by Zweihander
Do you know if it's too late to get a UCAS app in to those unis?

No I think you still have time. I heard that the banks don't like travelling all the way to Coventry so you probably don't have much of a chance at Warwick, whereas ARU is only a 45-min train journey away, while of course, LSB, UEL and London Met are in the bankers' back gardens.

If I were you, I'd try to get a transfer to London South Bank - the benefit with this is that it's near the river so it looks pretty when the sun sets.
Reply 25
You might as well give it a try just for the sake of it if that's where your dream is. I think the only reason why they'd take you is if you were ridiculously outstanding at another art to the extent that you have to devote a lot of time in your life for it/had to devote a lot of time in your life for it...as well as a great wealth of experiences and a great wealth of personal successes.
I want to be realistic with you though:
IB = LSE, Cambridge and Oxford grads are literally all individually in the biggest war they'd ever experience to get the job. You might get Imperial, Warwick and UCL grads pop up here and there and York/Durham/Bristol grads pop up VERY VERY occasionally but banks are nazi over LSE mainly, and then oxbridge.
Reply 26
Original post by Kyze
Hello guys,

only really look at 'the big 5'

Many Thanks

What are the big 5 universities out of interest?
Reply 27
He stands a chance in BO.

OP just send an app and make it realistic - you will find it very hard to get an interview for FO positions.
Reply 28
Original post by gluestick

1. OXBRIDGE (I know it's actually two unis in one, but that's how it is)
2. LSE
3. IMPERIAL
4. WARWICK
4. UCL
Original post by delasandro
Yep, i went to London Southbank and got a contract at Goldman Sachs.
But then i woke up and was gutted that it was only a dream

I have an idea, it's risky but I think it could change the face of banking forever. Basically, we assemble a team of highly skilled dream thieves and kidnap Lloyd Blankfein, but instead of stealing information from his mind plant an idea into it. The idea is that from now on Goldman Sachs will exclusively hire front office grads from mediocre universities like Anglia Ruskin. In the banking, there's a little term known as "Goldman envy"...once Goldman starts doing it everyone will do it, and our evil plan to take over the world will be complete. mwahaahaha!
Reply 30
Original post by gluestick

It's

1. LSE (slightly preferred to Oxbridge).
2. Oxbridge
3. Imperial
4. Warwick
5. UCL
Original post by Kyze
Hello guys,

Im in my second year at Anglia Ruskin University studying Business Economics and predicted a 1st overall when i graduate, however i was wondering what are my chances of getting into Investment Banking? I'v read on the forum the banks only really look at 'the big 5' so do you honestly think i have any chance?

Many Thanks

Hi pal,
I've read some of the replies here and have to chuckle. I'll make the assumption most venturing their arrogant attitudes are still in school / knee-deep in first year study.

It's true that IBs tend to have their preferred target unis - though they're not all the same, and some of the "elite" unis no longer feature on certain IBs' radar when it comes to selecting for certain divisions.

There is a chance you can enter IB, particularly with a first in your degree.

While the net chumps sit here pontificating about a lack of possibility for you and make sarcastic comments, I'll come at it from a different angle....

IBs may well predominantly target top 3/5/10/12/insert-random-variable-of-the-week, but they also, from time-to-time, expand their pool by looking at non-target/highly non-target universities.

Specific example: right now on The Open University careers intranet site, there are various decent IBs actively recruiting through display ads, with details of the Open University alumni working for them.

I can't think of anywhere less "target" than the OU in the traditional sense.

So what are the banks doing targetting there?

And how come OU students have completed internships at, eg Barcap, and are due to take up jobs with them early in 2011?

If it's not impossible, it's possible - particularly as a friend with a first from a similar non-target such as yours has found out. After many applications, he landed a FO job at a "bulge bracket" bank, has worked his pods off, and has had three or four pay rises in the past few months.

Yet, if he came on this forum, he'd be told he couldn't get a job there. :wink:

His uni is now being targetted by his employer for next year given he beat the "top 5 uni" candidates who went for the job he got.

Go for it. Realise the chances are more slim than at certain key unis, but also realise that it's quite possible.

Ignore the clowns on here who quote net-lore and rumour as though it's some verbatim quote from the HR department itself.
Original post by Kyze
Hello guys,

Im in my second year at Anglia Ruskin University studying Business Economics and predicted a 1st overall when i graduate, however i was wondering what are my chances of getting into Investment Banking? I'v read on the forum the banks only really look at 'the big 5' so do you honestly think i have any chance?

Many Thanks

you have more chance of falling head first down a hole into a huge pile of money...

however if you do get that first, and then do a masters at LSE/oxbridge....then maybe....and do something amazing
Reply 33
Original post by infernalcradle
you have more chance of falling head first down a hole into a huge pile of money...

however if you do get that first, and then do a masters at LSE/oxbridge....then maybe....and do something amazing

What background knowledge do you have? Out of interest ...
(edited 12 years ago)
With a first class honours you'll at least be acknowledged.
Original post by kam_007
Work hard and apply, but not getting accepted is more than likely. Your degree, would not stop you being able to perform the job and succeed in the industry, but its important to get a foot in nowadays.

If applications during your undergrad are unsuccessful, do a master at a higher ranked university and apply again. If the same happens, and your sure this is the industry for you, do a PHD. Read around the industry, and make sure your clued up. It may take you longer, but you'll blow half of these brown-noser's out the water when you get there.
Happy holidays.

Because academic performance is such a surefire way to tell who is going to be good at the job.
Original post by President_Ben
Because academic performance is such a surefire way to tell who is going to be good at the job.

but unfortunately that's how the selection process works at stage 1 more or less
Reply 38
Original post by agolati
It's

1. LSE (slightly preferred to Oxbridge).
2. Oxbridge
3. Imperial
4. Warwick
5. UCL

LSE is not preferred to oxbridge, your living in gaga land. That list is:

1. Oxbridge
2. LSE
3. Imperial (debatable between UCL)
4. UCL
5. Warwick

At the end of the day once you are a part of one of the unis above it is down to you as a person whether you get in. I would say a good way to break in is do a BO internship and at the end request a switch to a different service line. I recently interned at RBS and many people did that and managed to get ACs for FO even though they were from non target unis....
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending