The Student Room Group

Queen Mary / biomedical science entry requirements

Hey guys I’m kind of struggling right now and would appreciate some advice.

I’m currently enrolled at Anglia Ruskin university for biomedical science BSc, however as I haven’t found any accommodation I may have to withdraw my application before my course start date, but that’s only if I secure my place else where.

I live in London and wanted to give queen mary a call and see if they have any spaces available. I’m not sure if they are still taking applications at this time but my grades are quite low and I was wondering if there’s any way I would still have a chance at getting a place wether it’s this year or level 2 point of entry next year.

That’s because if I don’t apply or get accepted this year, I was hoping to try to get 2:1 or 2:2 and try to transfer from Aru to QMUL for next year.

Until the last month of my second year year at college, I really had no idea what I wanted to persue. I then decided that I wanted to study dentistry but my grades weren’t even close so I decided to study biomed to then give dentistry a shot with a honours degree.

Like I mentioned, my GCSE grades are low. In my GCSE’s I got grade 4 in 5 topics including triple science,maths, English lang, and English lit. I received a 4;3 in science which confused me if it’s 5 topics with the grade 4 or 4 topics with the grade 4. Anyways, my second qualification is a btec Level 3 national foundation diploma in applied science with the grade PPP. Then I moved colleges and studies Btec level 3 National extended diploma in applied science also with the grade PPP.

I studied a year of biomed at a uni in london, but failed due to academic failure which was because of severe personal issues that contributed as well as physical and psychological injury which did not allow me to do well in my studies (I got hit by a vehicle and could not attend uni or study for a while) so in august they kicked me out. I was hoping that if I could just explain to them my situation they may understand and I might be given a chance. Same question goes if I was to apply to kings. I would really appreciate the advice.

Sorry that’s this has been long but I really need some advice on this. And if anyone knows where I can find accommodation for £130-£160 per week at Cambridge, or would like to share an accommodation that would be so lovely (only females)! Thank you!
Original post by Rose T19
Hey guys I’m kind of struggling right now and would appreciate some advice.

I’m currently enrolled at Anglia Ruskin university for biomedical science BSc, however as I haven’t found any accommodation I may have to withdraw my application before my course start date, but that’s only if I secure my place else where.

I live in London and wanted to give queen mary a call and see if they have any spaces available. I’m not sure if they are still taking applications at this time but my grades are quite low and I was wondering if there’s any way I would still have a chance at getting a place wether it’s this year or level 2 point of entry next year.

That’s because if I don’t apply or get accepted this year, I was hoping to try to get 2:1 or 2:2 and try to transfer from Aru to QMUL for next year.

Until the last month of my second year year at college, I really had no idea what I wanted to persue. I then decided that I wanted to study dentistry but my grades weren’t even close so I decided to study biomed to then give dentistry a shot with a honours degree.

Like I mentioned, my GCSE grades are low. In my GCSE’s I got grade 4 in 5 topics including triple science,maths, English lang, and English lit. I received a 4;3 in science which confused me if it’s 5 topics with the grade 4 or 4 topics with the grade 4. Anyways, my second qualification is a btec Level 3 national foundation diploma in applied science with the grade PPP. Then I moved colleges and studies Btec level 3 National extended diploma in applied science also with the grade PPP.

I studied a year of biomed at a uni in london, but failed due to academic failure which was because of severe personal issues that contributed as well as physical and psychological injury which did not allow me to do well in my studies (I got hit by a vehicle and could not attend uni or study for a while) so in august they kicked me out. I was hoping that if I could just explain to them my situation they may understand and I might be given a chance. Same question goes if I was to apply to kings. I would really appreciate the advice.

Sorry that’s this has been long but I really need some advice on this. And if anyone knows where I can find accommodation for £130-£160 per week at Cambridge, or would like to share an accommodation that would be so lovely (only females)! Thank you!

You say that you may have to withdraw from Anglia Ruskin as you haven't found any accommodation, but then go onto talk about transferring to Queen Mary if you do well enough in your first year at Anglia Ruskin. It seems, therefore, that the accommodation issue is separate from your desire to transfer from Anglia Ruskin. Is that right?

Most universities, including Queen Mary, only allow transfers if you meet their A level (or equivalent) requirements, which does not appear to be the case. See their Student Transfer Policy which states:

"The majority of programmes at Queen Mary will consider applications for first year entry from students who are currently studying or have previously studied at another higher education institution. Students must demonstrate that they have met the entry criteria for admission."

With regards to direct entry into later years:

"Many programmes at Queen Mary will consider applications for transfer to the second year of a three year or the third year of a four year programme. Students wishing to transfer must meet the entry criteria for admission; these include meeting minimum grades at A Level (or equivalent qualification) and achieving acceptable grades in their previous study."

Doing well in your first year and Anglia Ruskin won't be sufficient, unfortunately. (Also, Clearing is now closed at Queen Mary.) :frown:

With regards to accommodation, Anglia Ruskin's Studentpad is showing 2 room available right now in the £100-£150 bracket. Are neither of these any good to you?
Reply 2
Hello, Yes, even if I get accommodation at Anglia Ruskin I was hoping that I could transfer next year but if not I would have to stay there for the 3 years. Also, is there no way I would be able to transfer at all? Wether it be queens Mary, kings college, UCL? Thank you for the advice it’s much appreciated🙏🏼As for accommodation, I’ve had a look but there are quite inconvenient for me as I would prefer to live with females. Once again thank you so much.
Original post by Rose T19
Hello, Yes, even if I get accommodation at Anglia Ruskin I was hoping that I could transfer next year but if not I would have to stay there for the 3 years. Also, is there no way I would be able to transfer at all? Wether it be queens Mary, kings college, UCL? Thank you for the advice it’s much appreciated🙏🏼As for accommodation, I’ve had a look but there are quite inconvenient for me as I would prefer to live with females. Once again thank you so much.

As I wrote above, most universities only allow transfers if you meet their A level (or equivalent) requirements. That is certainly the case at Queen Mary, King's and UCL.

You say above that you've "decided that I wanted to study dentistry". Although it will be a long journey, getting the best degree you can from Anglia Ruskin (once you've sorted out accommodation) and then looking to graduate-entry Dentistry after that, is the only realistic way of achieving that goal.

Looking at "Entry requirements for UK and Ireland dental schools, 2024 entry", here, I can see that:

University of Aberdeen Institute of Dentistry want "Upper Second Class Honours Degree from a UK or recognised European University in health sciences, allied health professional or equivalent"
University of Central Lancashire School of Dentistry want "2:1 in a Biomedical discipline" (although they also have A level / GCSE requirements)
King's College London Faculty of Dentistry want "A minimum 2:1 (upper second class honours) undergraduate bachelor degree (or international equivalent) in a Biosciences subject"
Newcastle University Dental School want "A degree with a 2:1 or higher is required, and must include Biology and Chemistry as a significant percentage of the degree."

If you get a 2:1 from Anglia Ruskin you would meet the entry requirements for each of these (except UCLAN).

Quick Reply

Latest