The Student Room Group

They are not meaningless!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by super.teve

She got full marks in Politics and Economics at AS,- both units.
She is German, she was only allowed to study and sit 8 iGCSE's.

She speaks German, came to England two years ago not knowing much English. She learnt French last year and is very good at it, and started learning Japanese a few weeks ago.
At 16 she moved to England with her friend and lives on her own. She also moved to Spain at 14 to sit her iGCSE's and such, again not with her parents.

I'm sick of your condescending attitude, realise that you're not the best sometimes and stop looking down on other people.
She has come a long way and is academically performing at the best she can be.

Her GCSE's let her down, and this is my point.

I'm not being condescending. However Oxbridge looks at applications holistically, so there MUST be another factor that contributed into her rejection. Having said that, she got 8Bs, which isn't typical of Oxbridge candidates.

Bear in mind that this one case and it will not change the majority of people's views on GCSEs.

In addition, I'm sure she is perfectly capable academically, however, perhaps not enough for Oxbridge? (After all, it is top).

There are many reasons as to why she could have been rejected, not just on GCSEs surely. Especially as you have outlined that she only learnt English two years ago, this must have given her some leniency - albeit still rejected.

You mentioned that she applied for Politics at Oxford (however it doesn't offer it as a single honours subject), so I'll presume she applied for PPE.

http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/index.php/applying-for-ppe
http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/index.php/criteria_for_admissions_ppe

In fact: "No. We only interview those who have a realistic chance of getting in, when judged by past and predicted exam results, school reports, personal statements and the pre-interview test. Applicants who do not take the pre-interview test will not normally be shortlisted for interview. Candidates from overseas may be considered without interview."

Learning French and Japanese is irrelevant for PPE or Politics as:

"Candidates are not expected to have studied any philosophy, politics or economics at school, but should be interested and be prepared to put their minds to problems of philosophy, politics and economics presented to them. "

All you have told me is that she enjoys language-learning. Not really relevant to PPE, is it? (Having said that, I do not undermine her efforts).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by im so academic
I'm not being condescending. However Oxbridge looks at applications holistically, so there MUST be another factor that contributed into her rejection. Having said that, she got 8Bs, which isn't typical of Oxbridge candidates.

Bear in mind that this one case and it will not change the majority of people's views on GCSEs.

In addition, I'm sure she is perfectly capable academically, however, perhaps not enough for Oxbridge? (After all, it is top).

There are many reasons as to why she could have been rejected, not just on GCSEs surely. Especially as you have outlined that she only learnt English two years ago, this must have given her some leniency - albeit still rejected.

You mentioned that she applied for Politics at Oxford (however it doesn't offer it as a single honours subject), so I'll presume she applied for PPE.

http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/index.php/applying-for-ppe
http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/index.php/criteria_for_admissions_ppe

In fact: "No. We only interview those who have a realistic chance of getting in, when judged by past and predicted exam results, school reports, personal statements and the pre-interview test. Applicants who do not take the pre-interview test will not normally be shortlisted for interview. Candidates from overseas may be considered without interview."

Learning French and Japanese is irrelevant for PPE or Politics as:

"Candidates are not expected to have studied any philosophy, politics or economics at school, but should be interested and be prepared to put their minds to problems of philosophy, politics and economics presented to them. "

All you have told me is that she enjoys language-learning. Not really relevant to PPE, is it? (Having said that, I do not undermine her efforts).

Do you seriously think everything someone does relates to Oxford or academia?
Learning languages, is vital to international politics and many careers and demonstrates many many personal qualities.

It showed one example to shut you up,- Oxford emailed her and told her why after she asked,- it was her GCSE grades, actually.

Learning languages is not irrelevant and your quote shows that :s-smilie:

You've come to prove a point, but sorry quotes that don't support your argument are silly. That quote shows how people do not need to have previously studied PPE, not anything else.

Extracurriculars are good for Oxford, so shh now.
Politics and economics are heavily international,- you think learning languages is irrelevant? Ahahahha fool.
P.S I meant PPE at Oxford and Politics a MANCS.
I'm going back to Christmas kid.
(edited 13 years ago)
I could refute all your arguments (including quotes to back me up), but I'm just going to reply to this specific one as it is related to the thread.

Do you seriously think everything someone does relates to Oxford or academia?

THAT is the reason why some people don't care about GCSEs. They do not intend to become academics or intend to study at Oxbridge.
I could refute all your arguments (including quotes to back me up), but I'm just going to reply to this specific one as it is related to the thread.

THAT is the reason why some people don't care about GCSEs. They do not intend to become academics or intend to study at Oxbridge.

AND THAT IS WHY YOUR LOGIC FAILS.

Read the OP, GCSE'S have other uses. They do not exist just for Oxbridge candidates.

Don't quote me again in this thread, I wont reply.

Have you even done GCSEs yet?
Original post by mathew551
Have you even done GCSEs yet?

Nope they've not, but seemingly know everything :')
Can't knock him/her for trying though I guess.
She got full marks in Politics and Economics at AS,- both units.
She is German, she was only allowed to study and sit 8 iGCSE's.

She speaks German, came to England two years ago not knowing much English. She learnt French last year and is very good at it, and started learning Japanese a few weeks ago.
At 16 she moved to England with her friend and lives on her own. She also moved to Spain at 14 to sit her iGCSE's and such, again not with her parents.

I'm sick of your condescending attitude, realise that you're not the best sometimes and stop looking down on other people.
She has come a long way and is academically performing at the best she can be.

Her GCSE's let her down, and this is my point.

Oh and at 16 or even now I didn't want to go to Oxford, I still aspired to do well. Know that Oxford is not the be all and end all.

'Im so academic' hasn't even started his/her GCSEs so there's no point arguing with her.
Original post by Extricated
'Im so academic' hasn't even started his/her GCSEs so there's no point arguing with her.

I guess so :smile:
They do not matter much but getting good grades in it can give you an easier ride to college/uni.

I went to a **** comprehensive school and had to get help for revision and learning from outside. Even with all my hard work, I managed to get 1 A* and the rest were Cs, Bs and practically worthless certificates. That did not mean that I didn't get offers from top unis but I had to get them by working harder and longer to get to a point where uni admissions would take me seriously. Unlike straight As students who got an easier ride and had a wider choice of subjects and routes to take easily.
Original post by The Cornerstone
They do not matter much but getting good grades in it can give you an easier ride to college/uni.

I went to a **** comprehensive school and had to get help for revision and learning from outside. Even with all my hard work, I managed to get 1 A* and the rest were Cs, Bs and practically worthless certificates. That did not mean that I didn't get offers from top unis but I had to get them by working harder and longer to get to a point where uni admissions would take me seriously. Unlike straight As students who got an easier ride and had a wider choice of subjects and routes to take easily.

Well done to you :smile:
My school was good, but the pass rate was around 54.4% including English and Maths, 5*-C.

It don't mean I get an easier ride at all, sorry, but you're wrong there.
Just because I have good GCSE'S does not mean college is any easier.
Reply 30
This is so right,Yes GCSE's are important if they are'nt important then why does the government waste money by making us sit them.

I need to get my act together big time. :biggrin:
It don't mean I get an easier ride at all, sorry, but you're wrong there.
Just because I have good GCSE'S does not mean college is any easier.

LOL I didn't mean it like that! I mean you have a greater and wider choices of option of courses at college, plus you have a slightly greater chance of getting to uni providing you do well at college. Worse grades means you have less options plus you have to work harder on your application and sometimes (in my case) work for 3 years instead of 2.
Original post by The Cornerstone
LOL I didn't mean it like that! I mean you have a greater and wider choices of option of courses at college, plus you have a slightly greater chance of getting to uni providing you do well at college. Worse grades means you have less options plus you have to work harder on your application and sometimes (in my case) work for 3 years instead of 2.

Oh yea, I understand you :smile:
Damn, it's good you've came back from it x

Quick Reply

Latest