The Student Room Group

Law at Lancaster or Politics at York??

Hi guys, I have received two offers one from Lancaster for law and the other for politics at York.
I don’t really know the sort of career I want yet and I know law it’s probably the better degree however York is Russel group so any help will be appreciated
Original post by John_q1000
Hi guys, I have received two offers one from Lancaster for law and the other for politics at York.
I don’t really know the sort of career I want yet and I know law it’s probably the better degree however York is Russel group so any help will be appreciated

Tough call. Law students at Lancaster rate the course more highly that do Politics students at York. However, Politics graduates from York earn more than Law graduates from Lancaster. (See stats for Law at Lancaster here and Politics at York here.)

Have you has the chance to visit either university, or Lancaster and York themselves? What interested you about either course enough to apply?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Tough call. Law students at Lancaster rate the course more highly that do Politics students at York. However, Politics graduates from York earn more than Law graduates from Lancaster. (See stats for Law at Lancaster here and Politics at York here.)

Have you has the chance to visit either university, or Lancaster and York themselves? What interested you about either course enough to apply?

Hey thanks for the reply! Overall I probably would say that politics would interest me more but tbh I’m pretty torn as I always had the idea that Law was probably better for jobs. Also I did manage to visit York lovely little city and really historic too which I like! Unfortunately I am unable to see Lancaster before I make my deciiion. I am probably more leaning towards York as they have Russel group attached even though that probably doesn’t make much of a difference.

Firstly the RG is absolutely meaningless. It is a marketing body. 10 years ago both were in the 1994 group. York decided to pay tom join the RG. Lancaster didnt. There is no real difference. Go where the course interests you the most
Reply 4
Look carefully at the course content for both of them - the optional units in ALL years of the course - and think about the reality of studying these.

It doesnt matter what the Uni 'is' or what career you think you might have later, the course itself needs to engage and interest you enough for 3 years, otherwise what's the point?

They are both historic cities so don't worry about it.
I go to Lancaster currently and I study law. I don't know about York but you can ask me any questions you have.
Reply 6
'Russell Group' is actually fairly meaningless as Lancaster is a top Uni, and along with St Andrews and Bath simply chose not to join what is essentially an elitist bit of marketing.

Either would be fine for Law - Lancaster is a quieter city than York - which would suit you best?

Hi!

Congrats on both your offers! If you have any questions about studying at York, drop us a message! I'm a recent grad (not Law I'm afraid) but I can help with student life, accommodation queries etc. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending