The Student Room Group

Bring back the death penalty!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40

o m f g what was that. :eek:

yeah, fair point.
Think we need some of those in this country, tbh.
You should write to the Express with this revolutionary piece of work. :holmes:
Original post by Katq
I think I'd rather die than having to spend the rest of my life in jail. I think life-long sentence in a strict prison is worse than death.

I completely agree with you there. :biggrin:

And I don't know about you lot, but I couldn't be the one to blame for closing someone's eyes to the world for ever. What if he was wrongly accused? What if he was just insane?
Reply 43
Original post by sinbad23
There should be MUCH more focus on rehabilitian and preventing crime from happening in the first place. People come here from their snobby, well to do educated backgrounds and judge people who have commited crime because its all theyve seen in life. How about lowering unemployment, increasing education, mental wellbeing, empowerment etc

I also think your reasoning behind the death penalty has little to do with love for your fellow man rather it is hate.

I'm not snobby, and infact living in a council house, nor am I well educated, I went to a public school which infact was a **** hole.
Interestingly, UK prisons don't meet Human Rights standards.

For short sentences, prisoners have almost nothing in their prisons - none of this Playstations you all seem so fixated on.

Rape and serious violence is commonplace in many prisons. Chance of getting education and rehab: limited.

Prisoners do have to work in the prison.

Yes, prison must be lovely. Can't think why i wouldn't want to go somewhere and live in constant fear of being raped or attacked, having my few possessions stolen, dull, mind-numbing work and the possibility of never coming out again...

Also, Travis, i was right. You don't know what UK murder is. It is causing the death of another human being with the intention to kill OR to cause GBH. Hence why many murders are accidental.

(Also, judges can be bribed. It's not exactly an out-there concept. I suggest you contact the organisation known as "Repreive" who look into death penalty cases)
Reply 45
Original post by gethsemane342
Interestingly, UK prisons don't meet Human Rights standards.

For short sentences, prisoners have almost nothing in their prisons - none of this Playstations you all seem so fixated on.

Rape and serious violence is commonplace in many prisons. Chance of getting education and rehab: limited.

Prisoners do have to work in the prison.

Yes, prison must be lovely. Can't think why i wouldn't want to go somewhere and live in constant fear of being raped or attacked, having my few possessions stolen, dull, mind-numbing work and the possibility of never coming out again...

Also, Travis, i was right. You don't know what UK murder is. It is causing the death of another human being with the intention to kill OR to cause GBH. Hence why many murders are accidental.

(Also, judges can be bribed. It's not exactly an out-there concept. I suggest you contact the organisation known as "Repreive" who look into death penalty cases)

You're also right, on one point, that murder is with the intention to kill somebody. However you do not go out to murder someone and cause grievous bodily harm, clearly it's not murder and would be attempted murder, as you tried to kill someone, intentially.
Prison 4 life ______ @ hotmail.co.uk

______ : Name of person.
Reply 47
There should be MUCH more focus on rehabilitian and preventing crime from happening in the first place. People come here from their snobby, well to do educated backgrounds and judge people who have commited crime because its all theyve seen in life. How about lowering unemployment, increasing education, mental wellbeing, empowerment etc

I also think your reasoning behind the death penalty has little to do with love for your fellow man rather it is hate.

I completely disagree. Sorry, but you know right from wrong. You cannot blame being poor for committing crimes."Oh boo hoo I didn't have a decent upbringing, I'm going to go shoot people now!" No, just no. Of course I'll judge someone who's broken the law. Its wrong, end of. Also, a lot of criminals are vile, chavvy, disgusting scum, who don't deserve sympathy.
Original post by Travis1
You're also right, on one point, that murder is with the intention to kill somebody. However you do not go out to murder someone and cause grievous bodily harm, clearly it's not murder and would be attempted murder, as you tried to kill someone, intentially.

Yes.

Murder is when you kill someone either because you intended to or because you intended to cause GBH (which can actually just be a broken arm btw).

Attempted murder is murder which fails. So you intend to kill and cause GBH. But if you intend to cause GBH and don't kill, that is an offence under S.18 of the OAPA 1861.
Reply 49
Original post by awais590
o m f g what was that. :eek:

yeah, fair point.
Think we need some of those in this country, tbh.

Definitely. Check out what we have someplace in Norway. They put prisoners on some paradise island. It's ridiculous. (And funny the way they portay it)
Lock them animals up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4beUC3-ckw
Original post by Rational Paradox
It is just as expensive, if not more expensive than jail-time

I seriously doubt this claim - any evidence please? :smile: From what I've heard it costs more to put a child in Eton for a year than to look after a criminal. SPS.gov.uk state that the "average cost per prisoner place in 2008-2009 was £31,106".

If we're talking about a life sentence (say, 40 years) at the average rate (without taking into account the fact that it must cost much more for high-security threats) then that's about £1.25million. Does it really cost that much to kill someone?

If it does, I'm getting my shotgun out and I'll be running a great business in no time :biggrin:

Original post by Rational Paradox
The state shouldn't ever be allowed to decide wherever a person lives or dies

Well if the person is a murderer then I don't think they should be allowed to decide whether the victim should have lived or died.
Reply 51
Original post by tripleeagle
Well if the person is a murderer then I don't think they should be allowed to decide whether the victim should have lived or died.

So true! The murder never gave the option to the victim, so why should authority?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by .Ali.
I completely disagree. Sorry, but you know right from wrong. You cannot blame being poor for committing crimes."Oh boo hoo I didn't have a decent upbringing, I'm going to go shoot people now!" No, just no. Of course I'll judge someone who's broken the law. Its wrong, end of. Also, a lot of criminals are vile, chavvy, disgusting scum, who don't deserve sympathy.

lol I was going to quote one of your posts. You made lots of posts in the thread about british people having to learn class and british history and talked about how you got bullied for being wealthy or something. To be honest you seem extremely snobby and judgemental.

Its not a case of I didnt have a decent upbringing. Do you have any idea how it is to be dirt poor, live in an abusive household and family where all you see is violence, all your family are violent, all your friends commit crimes, you see crime as a way to break out of the struggles. Nothing to do with Im going to shoot someone now.

Place them in a different environment you never know they could possibly :wink: end up a little different.
Reply 53
lol I was going to quote one of your posts. You made lots of posts in the thread about british people having to learn class and british history and talked about how you got bullied for being wealthy or something. To be honest you seem extremely snobby and judgemental.

Its not a case of I didnt have a decent upbringing. Do you have any idea how it is to be dirt poor, live in an abusive household and family where all you see is violence, all your family are violent, all your friends commit crimes, you see crime as a way to break out of the struggles. Nothing to do with Im going to shoot someone now.

Place them in a different environment you never know they could possibly :wink: end up a little different.

Lol yeah I got bullied by chavs because they said I speak like a 'posh prick'. :rolleyes: They also destroyed a lot of my stuff because "you can afford to buy more". So yeah, total idiots. I wouldn't say it's snobby to hate chavs - I mean come on, look at all the problems they cause!

No, I don't know what that's like. Surely though they'd see how everyone else lives and realise that they can either become like their family, or make something of themselves? Crime will only make it worse. And once they commit a crime, that's it, they've lost their humanity. If they truly felt so sad by seeing all the violence, why would they inflict it on another human being? Oh yeah that's right, because they're scum.

Possibly, and I would agree that the environment someone is in can affect their mood and wellbeing, but not to the extent of turning a normal human into a crazed axe murderer.
Yes, let's resort to immaturity, barbarism and hypocrisy.
Death is an easy way out, once you're dead there's no more suffering, no more remorse nor guilt just eternal slumber and non-existence.

If I was given the choice between the rest of my life in prison or the death penalty I'd pick the death penalty as it involves a small amount of short term suffering in comparison with a lifetime of it.
Original post by Katq
I think I'd rather die than having to spend the rest of my life in jail. I think life-long sentence in a strict prison is worse than death.

This. :yep: I believe it was Ian Huntley who tried to committ suicide several times, why give him what he wants?

Although I do agree with OP that sentences in this country do take the piss a lot of the time.
Original post by .Ali.
No, I don't know what that's like. Surely though they'd see how everyone else lives and realise that they can either become like their family, or make something of themselves? Crime will only make it worse. And once they commit a crime, that's it, they've lost their humanity. If they truly felt so sad by seeing all the violence, why would they inflict it on another human being? Oh yeah that's right, because they're scum.

Chances are, under UK law, you have committed a crime at some point in your life... If you had a boyfriend or girlfriend when they were under the age of 16, for example. Try and be a *little* more specific before you decide the majority of teenagers are not human.
Reply 58
Original post by .Ali.

Thank you.
You speak perfect sense, why should we spend thousands of pounds of our money to rehabilitate and help out these dangerous criminals, who will come out and end up doing the same thing again.

Glad there are others who share the same view as me, on this topic. :smile:
Reply 59
We don't have capital punishment on the basis that nobody has the right to take somebody elses life. If the government have the power to kill people then they have too much power - even if there are people who you think 'deserve' to die, like Ian Huntley, the fact that someone has a position of authority shouldn't mean that they are allowed to kill. Capital punishment sends out the message that people have the right to kill other people in certain circumstances, and nobody should ever kill (unless it is a case of self defence).

This country used to have capital punishment. After it was abolished there was no rise in murder and other serious crimes, which indicates that the deterrant theory is incorrect. Places like Texas which have the capital punishment do not see lower crime rates than places without capital punishment, therefore not only is it dangerous but it is ineffective.

The bottom line is though, killing another human is wrong, no matter what the context. If someone kills your best friend, should you kill them in return? Revenge won't bring them back. If the state does the same thing it won't bring them back either.

I know im going to get a lot of thumbs down for this reply but oh well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending