The Student Room Group

Twenty-one Oxbridge colleges took no black students last year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Margaret Thatcher
So to show they 'care', what would you suggest Oxbridge do? Start engaging in positive discrimination?

Exactly.

On a separate note, American Ivy League >>> Oxbridge
Reply 321
Well I went to an inner-city comprehensive and our school got one black guy into Oxford to do Law last year - really happy for him. I think to say it's racist based on that statistic is very premature, the reality is that there's lots of socio-economic factors that factor in.

My school had quite a large proportion of students of black origin, and they grew up in quite a distinct culture where education wasn't considered to be that important; in fact those who did take an interest in academics were frowned upon, at times ostricised by their peers. Overall, much less black people apply to HE institutions because of reasons like these, and therefore the chances of them getting into unis, particularly top ones, is bound to be much lower. It's a perpetuating cycle, where because education isn't taken seriously, it's more difficult for them to get good jobs afterwards, and because of this environment it's more difficult for children to get a good education and thus be admitted to top universities. And FYI Oxford's union president was black a couple of years ago (of course this was an elect by the students not the staff however).
Reply 322
Original post by Aj12
Well I generally thought from the bolded part of the quote you would be able to tell. Seems even basic understanding of anything is beyond your very limited grasp.

well if I knew of this whole gap year before data I really wouldn't of asked for recent data.I don't think calling me limited, when I don't hold previous information about how data is put on the side is rude.
First whats wrong with the date already there? Why demand 2010 date?

Second there is normally a year gap between data. 2010 data will likely only come out later this year.

Your demanding data when there has only been about 3 months to fully process and create statistics then put them on the site all of which takes time.

a)Well why not demand recent data
b)If I knew of this gap year between data I would not have asked for 2010 data, sorry.
Yeah, i think it's simply due to meeting standards.
If someone was blue and walked in who met the stadards, I'm sure they'd get a place. XD
*headdesk*
Reply 324
Original post by urmyeah
a)Well why not demand recent data

Because it does not exist/
Reply 325
Whatever groups you break Oxford admissions statistics into (wealth, race, schooling etc.) the proportions of undergraduates is almost identical to the proportions of applicants if you look over any sensibly large sample.

Basically, the media are once again giving a horrifyingly wrong impression. The probability of a random student at Oxford being black is pretty low, but the probability that you'll get in if you're black and apply to Oxford is the same as anyone else in the country. Oxfords admissions policy is fair, it's just that not enough people apply. To artificially raise numbers of minorities in Oxford would make their admissions policy unfair.
Original post by JoMo1
Whatever groups you break Oxford admissions statistics into (wealth, race, schooling etc.) the proportions of undergraduates is almost identical to the proportions of applicants if you look over any sensibly large sample.

With the slight caveat that if people from the group under scrutiny apply disproportionately to more competitive subjects, they can end up under-represented in the overall intake even with a perfectly fair admissions process. This can even happen if they have a better success rate, and even if they have a better success rate in every individual subject - Simpson's paradox.

But otherwise I agree.
Reply 328
Original post by Aj12
Because it does not exist/

It's funny how I'm moron,you are exceedingly gullible.....
Reply 329
Original post by urmyeah

Go on then show me the 2010 data even if it does exist it won't tell you anything different from 09 data
Original post by urmyeah

Aj12 is talking sense. When Oxford hasn't even finished accepting 2010 applicants, how can it put together a half-finished list of statistics on who's got in and who hasn't? You're reading into this way too much.
Reply 331
Original post by Huw Davies
With the slight caveat that if people from the group under scrutiny apply disproportionately to more competitive subjects, they can end up under-represented in the overall intake even with a perfectly fair admissions process. This can even happen if they have a better success rate, and even if they have a better success rate in every individual subject - Simpson's paradox.

But otherwise I agree.

Someone pointed out a flaw/required correction in a statistical argument I made on TSR, and it wasn't stupid. It was even bloody well correct! This is a miracle.
Reply 332
Original post by Aj12
Go on then show me the 2010 data even if it does exist it won't tell you anything different from 09 data

Sweeping statement to make don't you think?
Reply 333
Original post by urmyeah
Sweeping statement to make don't you think?

God your an irritating troll.:doctor:
Reply 334
Guardian readers....so quick to jump at anything! I wonder what the figures for Oriental and Sub-Continent Asians were that year? I'm willing to be they outstripped Caucasian numbers!
Original post by QwentyJ
Guardian readers....so quick to jump at anything!

I'm a Guardian reader <_<
Reply 336
Original post by alicebytemperley

Original post by alicebytemperley
I'm a Guardian reader &lt;_&lt;

Hah! And you jumped very quickly to say that! :p:
Reply 337
you don't have to specify religion, race or anything. I put 'prefer no to say' for everything. Then there are no questions, and the uni's take only those who are deserving of a place, which I'm pretty sure is what has happened here.
As for the quote from OP - I know several people with full A*'s at GCSE - virtually full UMS marks in all his AS exams, going further than most in the maths olympiad thing, doing many other maths related things outside of school, and he didn't even get pooled. Sometimes decisions on this are strange to say the least, and I certainly don't think Oxbridge can hold their heads up high with the way they select people, but they are going on who they think is going to be best and so you can't really complain with decisions they make regarding applications.
Original post by QwentyJ
Hah! And you jumped very quickly to say that! :p:

Of course. :p:
I am sure that Universities ARE NOT allowed to see applicants' ethnicities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending