The Student Room Group

ELAT results

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by cheekygeeky4
I just found out that I got a 49 in the ELAT. I'm really happy with that, but I didn't even get an interview... I really can't understand why, I mean, I know 49 isn't spectacular, but it's pretty good, I've got A's and A*s at GCSE and I'm predicted 2 A*s and an A at A-Level. Stupid Oxford, they might have liked me if I'd got an interview! Haha :smile: Hey ho, plenty more good unis out there!

Have you considered asking them for feedback? Or perhaps you applied to a very competetive college? I applied to Magdalen and was extremely lucky to get an interview - they only invited 32 out of 70 applicants this year. But you're right, there are lots of great other universities out there. If only one of them would make me an offer... :tongue:
Original post by Ambs
Have you considered asking them for feedback? Or perhaps you applied to a very competetive college? I applied to Magdalen and was extremely lucky to get an interview - they only invited 32 out of 70 applicants this year. But you're right, there are lots of great other universities out there. If only one of them would make me an offer... :tongue:

Wow, well done on the interview! I might ask, but I'm just curious really, it's not like it would make any difference.
Haha I'm in the same position! Where have you applied? Any offers? I had my Warwick interview last week and I'm desperate to get in! :rolleyes:
Reply 102
Wow, well done on the interview! I might ask, but I'm just curious really, it's not like it would make any difference.
Haha I'm in the same position! Where have you applied? Any offers? I had my Warwick interview last week and I'm desperate to get in! :rolleyes:

Thanks :smile: I jsut realised my post sounds a bit boastful, which is not at all what I meant! I just wanted to say that at some colleges the competition is very fierce, which means that many excellent applicants don't even get the chance to come for an interview.
I applied to Oxford, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Royal Holloway. I'm still waiting on St. Andrews and Aberdeen and rejections from the other three - so it doesn't look like I'll be going to university this year! Good luck with Warwick, and congrats on getting an interview! :smile: How did it go?
Reply 103

Well, if your grades and predictions were fine and your ELAT result was in the right sort of range but you still weren't shortlisted, that just leaves your written work, really.:dontknow:
Original post by Ambs
Thanks :smile: I jsut realised my post sounds a bit boastful, which is not at all what I meant! I just wanted to say that at some colleges the competition is very fierce, which means that many excellent applicants don't even get the chance to come for an interview.
I applied to Oxford, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Royal Holloway. I'm still waiting on St. Andrews and Aberdeen and rejections from the other three - so it doesn't look like I'll be going to university this year! Good luck with Warwick, and congrats on getting an interview! :smile: How did it go?

No I get what you mean, the competition for English anywhere is high, let alone at Oxford! :smile:
I GOT IN TO WARWICK!!
So so so happy!
Best of luck with st andrews and aberdeen, I'm sure one at least will snap you up!
Original post by Ambs

Slight tangent. May I ask how you found out the interview data for Magdalen?

(I ask because my friend would really like to know for the college she applied to- even if the stats game is unlikely to make her feel better).
Reply 106
Original post by whimsicality

(I ask because my friend would really like to know for the college she applied to- even if the stats game is unlikely to make her feel better).

Because they told her in her letter, presumably.:wink:
The easiest thing for your friend to do would be to simply email the college and ask.
Reply 107
Original post by whimsicality

Hobnob is right, it said this in my feedback letter: 'The tutors enjoyed meeting Amber and she did very well to be short-listed for interview: we interviewed only 32 out of 70 applicants for single-honours English'. I felt really proud when I read that :redface:
It might be a good idea for your friend to request feedback. I know that it won't change anything, but it does help with putting things in perspective and moving on. Before I received the feedback the rejection really made me question my abilities and intelligence, but now that I know their reasons I feel a lot less silly and can understand their decision. Also, getting compliments from some of the best English professors around is indescribable. I know they probably say these things to everyone, but still :smile:
Reply 108
No I get what you mean, the competition for English anywhere is high, let alone at Oxford! :smile:
I GOT IN TO WARWICK!!
So so so happy!
Best of luck with st andrews and aberdeen, I'm sure one at least will snap you up!

Oh god, I just noticed I forget to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! :woo: That's amazing! And thanks, I hope they will :smile:
I know this is an old thread but thought this might comfort future applicants- I got 43 (Band 3, candidates who may not be called to interview (unless there is convincing evidence to suggest otherwise)) and still got an offer, so...
48 and a rejection after my interviews. :C
Original post by alicetrampolining
i got 47 and got a place...have no idea how that compares to everyone else...

i just got 47... praying now!! Considering i thought it went awful i am alright with it hahah
I got 53, which is higher than I expected. I don’t want to get complacent though- we’ll just have to wait and see until Wednesday. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear :smile:
Original post by skittish
I got 53, which is higher than I expected. I don’t want to get complacent though- we’ll just have to wait and see until Wednesday. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear :smile:

wow well done! what college did you apply to?
Original post by andp3ggy
wow well done! what college did you apply to?

Thank you! I applied to Christ’s :smile: how about you?
Original post by skittish
Thank you! I applied to Christ’s :smile: how about you?

Homerton- fingers crossed !! ❤️
I got 60 and no offer from Oxford so honestly I don't think it matters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending