The Student Room Group

KFC is too expensive?

I do like the food at KFC, but I think the food there is too expensive. I got a kentucky jack meal the other day, cost me £4.59, and I was still wasn't totally full after finishing the meal.

If I get a Kentucky meal twice a day, for a week, that would cost me £64.26 and it isn't the most expensive meal, I think the daddy burger meal is £5.79.

Where is live, there is a fried chicken shop where you can get a one piece chicken, 3 wings, fries and can of drink for £1.99. At KFC, they do a variety meal of one piece chicken, 2 wings and fries for £2.49.

Why is KFC more expensive then fried chicken shops, but supermarkets are cheaper then newsagent?

Does anyone think KFC is too expensive? Or I am moaning over nothing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by GuyUK
I do like the food at KFC, but I think the food there is too expensive. I got a kentucky jack meal the other day, cost me £4.59, and I was still wasn't totally full after finishing the meal.

If I get a Kentucky meal twice a day, for a week, that would cost me £64.26 and it isn't the most expensive meal, I think the daddy burger meal is £5.79.

Where is live, there is a fried chicken shop where you can get a one piece chicken, 3 wings, fries and can of drink for £1.99. At KFC, they do a variety meal of one piece chicken, 2 wings and fries for £2.49.

Why is KFC more expensive then fried chicken shops, but supermarkets are cheaper then newsagent?

This :biggrin:
Reply 2
What's with all the anti-Colonel vibes these days...
Fillet Towers are the Don and I would pay twenty-seven pounds for one right now.
Reply 4
You're essentially paying to eat at KFC rather than the food tbh.
Reply 5
It isn't that expensive. I found KFC in Germany the other day - 10euros for 6 pieces of chicken in a bucket (no fries or anything). Now that certainly was expensive :frown:
Hmm, I guess that's why people don't generally tend to buy Kentucky Jack meals twice a day.
Original post by GuyUK

You're paying for a lot of other overheads, among which:

- Better locations: more frequently in town centres
- Higher standards of hygiene, more consistent production - for example the chicken at KFC has to be a certain size and shape or it gets rejected.
- Advertising: KFC advertises on national TV, in publications, on the internet
- Research and development: believe it or not they pay people to invent and test new products
- Lawyers: to protect their trademarks and products
- Investment: they are currently trying to expand in developing countries, notably China
- Consistent pricing: linked to advertising, they want to charge the same wherever you are, which means in places where cheap chicken shops exist they will seem relatively expensive, but in places where they don't (e.g. central Cambridge) they seem like a cheap option.

and last but not least

- Price discrimination: they know they have a brand loyalty and they can charge more yet retain their core base of customers.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by welshmun
You're essentially paying to eat at KFC rather than the food tbh.

What about takeaway? Not everyone eat at KFC
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm KFC im hungry now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 10
...and THEN the chips aren't even that nice. Zinger Tower meal though = oof.
Reply 11
KFC is better than your average take away, at least to me anyway.

If you consider KFC expensive I don't know whats wrong with you, you are getting a meal cooked and prepared for you and somewhere to eat it for just over a fiver. How much cheaper can it get without sacrificing quality?
Reply 12
Well the Kentucky Jack is for a limited time i beleive, so thats one of the reasons for the higher price.
I guess its where in the country you live as all the box meals such as daddy burger meal in the south are £4.99

And KFC are more expensive than locals because they know people will still pay their higher prices for their food as they're already the most well known fried chicken place. Just means more profit for them.

And one of the reasons to your last question is that supermarkets get through much more stock than newsagents, so they can afford to make little profit on items, yet at the end of the day the amount that theyve sold of that item will be a lot so theyll still make loads of money.
Reply 13
"It's finger licking good":awesome:.Therefore I don't mind coughing up the extra moulah
Go some places in West and South - £1.00 for 2 wings and chips I hear at places
Reply 15
Original post by goodmen
KFC is better than your average take away, at least to me anyway.

If you consider KFC expensive I don't know whats wrong with you, you are getting a meal cooked and prepared for you and somewhere to eat it for just over a fiver. How much cheaper can it get without sacrificing quality?

I think people mean in comparison to other big chains, like McDonalds. I dunno, I don't eat fast food that much to be honest.
Reply 16
No, it's just disgusting
You can't put a price on finger lickin' goodness. :sexface:
It's not that overpriced tbh, but they take advantage price wise because most people want it. :coma:
Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
You can't put a price on finger lickin' goodness. :sexface:

Rebecca Black - looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

epic fake artist, right there xD

Quick Reply

Latest