The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by danhirons
Ahhh right, never heard of them, what did you have to do to apply, just put your name down or fill in an application form etc.???

I have absolutely no idea, I would say the best thing to do is contact your college's admissions tutor who will know :smile:

The scholarship application is pretty similar to admission (UCAS) application, although much longer. I had to write 3 statements/essays (over 4000 words in total) and supply 2 references from my teachers. The application form consisted of personal, academic and financial information.

I sent an e-mail to my college, but they did not express any problem with my replying just before the deadline. However, I found out a few stuff about international students on Oxford's website. In particular, I am to be issued a CAS reference number by my college about 3 months before enrollment for immigration purpose. Since certain students in this forum have already been issued accommodation information, I am just trying to confirm with you that my plan is OK.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by barefootfiona
Oh god I'm going crazy. I can't find a job and it's really bringing me down. :frown: I apply, I get rejected, I apply, I get rejected... and if I don't get a job I won't be able to travel in the summer so this year is basically **** so far.

Sorry to be such a grouch it's just so frustrating!

Hmm not sure what advice I can offer you! Presumably you must have a good CV (I'm guessing good grades and experiences to get an Oxford offer) but it's a tough ol' world out there, especially at the moment... do you get any feedback? Where do you apply?
Reply 962

Let me introduce myself. I'm Fiona and I'm on a gap year. It happened like this -- the day the results came out and I realised I got in and therefore would have to go to Oxford, I panicked, decided I needed a year to work through depression and to decide if I even wanted to go to University, never mind Oxford. My fellow (who cob007 has maybe met in the German interview?) was really understanding and I'm happy that it was the right decision to make

It's taken me a good 12 months to come round to the fact that I'll be studying at Oxford (it started at "oh no, do I have to, why doesn't Edinburgh want me?" and worked its way through "oh all right then", "well, I do like the city..." to now almost looking forward to it :P). I realise it's a bit unorthodox not to have hoped and dreamed for years about Oxford, but I'll take it as it comes and won't knock it till I've tried it.

What about you? What's your Oxford story - how did the interview go? Do you have any reservations? What are you most looking forward to? And most importantly, did you see the garden? :O

Edit: I'm worried I've come off ungrateful above. Just to clarify: I'm upbeat and chipper! Not grouchy and petulant. You understand how the internet can mess these things up. :biggrin:

What about you guys?

I understand!

I only applied for Oxford on my UCAS because the Biology course at Warwick -- such a beautiful uni, might I add -- lacked the zoology aspect I was after; I never expected to get in. After sending off my UCAS I soon received an offer of ABB from Durham. And that was it, I had secured a place at a friendly and prestigious university and now I could relax!

And then I was asked to head down to Oxford for an interview at St Hugh's college. It was very daunting being so far away from home (I live near Manchester), and the city felt quite alien. Despite this, I felt like I could see my time there for interviews as a miniature holiday; I already had my place at Durham! I think perhaps my resulting 'blasé' attitude helped me to enjoy the interviews. And then, I received good news!

The interviews were really quite fun, particularly my interview at St Hugh's. It was literally just laughing and discussing things I found I enjoyed to discuss. My interview at Hertford wasn't as social; it was one of those instances where you can't tell whether a person really likes you or really doesn't. The content was interesting and the questions were quick, but the challenge was enjoyable!

So anyway, I'm Jared and I'm hoping to study Biological Sciences, belonging to St Hugh's college. Pleased to meet everyone! :biggrin: I am, admittedly, very nervous to consider moving to somewhere I felt so out of place. I made a single friend whilst in Oxford and they were rejected... I worry that I will struggle to find people I will get along with.
Original post by Lumi Nous
Hmm not sure what advice I can offer you! Presumably you must have a good CV (I'm guessing good grades and experiences to get an Oxford offer) but it's a tough ol' world out there, especially at the moment... do you get any feedback? Where do you apply?

Thanks for caring :smile:

I apply to anything I find: temp jobs, a bakery, warehouse positions, countless coffee shops and stores with and without signs up, all the supermarkets, Wetherspoons... two days ago I applied to PGL and other such jobs across Europe, maybe they'll offer something.

The feedback is always some vague stuff about being over-qualified and about how they need someone who isn't going to University. Also, not having a car is a big downer apparently.

Fingers crossed something will come up but I'm frustrated because I don't want to spend my gap year sitting around, not working (which makes me feel lazy) and not travelling (which I love to do).
Original post by JaredG
I understand!

I only applied for Oxford on my UCAS because the Biology course at Warwick -- such a beautiful uni, might I add -- lacked the zoology aspect I was after; I never expected to get in. After sending off my UCAS I soon received an offer of ABB from Durham. And that was it, I had secured a place at a friendly and prestigious university and now I could relax!

And then I was asked to head down to Oxford for an interview at St Hugh's college. It was very daunting being so far away from home (I live near Manchester), and the city felt quite alien. Despite this, I felt like I could see my time there for interviews as a miniature holiday; I already had my place at Durham! I think perhaps my resulting 'blasé' attitude helped me to enjoy the interviews. And then, I received good news!

The interviews were really quite fun, particularly my interview at St Hugh's. It was literally just laughing and discussing things I found I enjoyed to discuss. My interview at Hertford wasn't as social; it was one of those instances where you can't tell whether a person really likes you or really doesn't. The content was interesting and the questions were quick, but the challenge was enjoyable!

So anyway, I'm Jared and I'm hoping to study Biological Sciences, belonging to St Hugh's college. Pleased to meet everyone! :biggrin: I am, admittedly, very nervous to consider moving to somewhere I felt so out of place. I made a single friend whilst in Oxford and they were rejected... I worry that I will struggle to find people I will get along with.

Hi Jared :smile: I can definitely connect with the blase attitude of your story; I was so sure I wasn't going to go there! It ended up being the only place I got offered. Hah! The irony :P

I wouldn't worry about making friends. Up until a few days ago I was totally freaking out cause I thought everyone would just be toffs who don't care about anything than grades (eugh, inverse snobbery is so unpleasant). But then I got this very reassuring comment from a nice TSRer. Here's my original post and here's the reply.

And if you're ever in Oxford between now and October, I live close and wouldn't mind showing you around. Any excuse to visit oxford, for me. I love the place and know a couple of nooks and crannies which are great to see :smile:
Reply 965
Hi Jared :smile: I can definitely connect with the blase attitude of your story; I was so sure I wasn't going to go there! It ended up being the only place I got offered. Hah! The irony :P

I wouldn't worry about making friends. Up until a few days ago I was totally freaking out cause I thought everyone would just be toffs who don't care about anything than grades (eugh, inverse snobbery is so unpleasant). But then I got this very reassuring comment from a nice TSRer. Here's my original post and here's the reply.

And if you're ever in Oxford between now and October, I live close and wouldn't mind showing you around. Any excuse to visit oxford, for me. I love the place and know a couple of nooks and crannies which are great to see :smile:

LOL how did that happen?!

Thanks a lot, that reply is reassuring! Some of the people I met... I didn't think they existed; it was like meeting a unicorn, if it was very posh and unpleasant. I guess you will meet people you do and don't get along with no matter where you go.

Wow, thanks for the offer! I will definitely take you up on it if I can get down there! I found navigating the city very difficult, even though it was really quite small. Oh the curse of being useless with a map :colondollar:
Original post by JaredG

Eeek another St Hugh's person. Hello! :biggrin:

Oh god I'm going crazy. I can't find a job and it's really bringing me down. :frown: I apply, I get rejected, I apply, I get rejected... and if I don't get a job I won't be able to travel in the summer so this year is basically **** so far.

Sorry to be such a grouch it's just so frustrating!

I've got friends who are in the same situation - I think it's come down to luck mostly :s

Regards to travelling w/o funds - I saw this book today that I was going to recommend to some of my friends, it might help you break even if you could manage to get something together for a flight? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Summer-Jobs-Worldwide-2011-Break/dp/1854585657
Or look at Kamp (Camp?) America / Bunac's summer camps in the US which cover your flights and pay you for being a counsellor? They are pretty cheap ways of travelling overall - I think it's about 300-500 but that's flights and something like 9 weeks away?

I hope you find something :redface:
Reply 967
Original post by Omio
Since certain students in this forum have already been issued accommodation information, I am just trying to confirm with you that my plan is OK.

There isn't much accommodation information for Magdalen. You'll either be in the Waynflete, just over Magdalen Bridge, with most of the other first years, or in one of three dozen-or-so-room houses outside the college. You'll find out which when you arrive!
Original post by JaredG
LOL how did that happen?!

Thanks a lot, that reply is reassuring! Some of the people I met... I didn't think they existed; it was like meeting a unicorn, if it was very posh and unpleasant. I guess you will meet people you do and don't get along with no matter where you go.

Wow, thanks for the offer! I will definitely take you up on it if I can get down there! I found navigating the city very difficult, even though it was really quite small. Oh the curse of being useless with a map :colondollar:

Tell me about it, the place is like a maze! I still get lost in the Covered Market.

Original post by SuperPatchKid

Or look at Kamp (Camp?) America / Bunac's summer camps in the US which cover your flights and pay you for being a counsellor? They are pretty cheap ways of travelling overall - I think it's about 300-500 but that's flights and something like 9 weeks away?

I hope you find something :redface:

Thanks for the recommendations! I have applied to a dozen or so summer jobs in the UK and Europe but I don't really want to work in the US since I want to do a lot of language work this summer in Europe... hopefully someone will offer me a job!

Initally I wanted to earn money in the UK in the winter and travel in Europe in the summer, but maybe I can just read my book list in winter and work in Europe in the summer! Fingers crossed.

And hey, there's always WOOFING, right?
Reply 969
Original post by JaredG
...Warwick -- such a beautiful uni, might I add....

Hi, I was at Warwick last year (gave it up to apply for Oxford). It's an excellent uni of course, but I'm surprised to see such praise of its beauty, which must truly be in the eye of the beholder! :smile:
Reply 970
Original post by JaredG
I found navigating the city very difficult, even though it was really quite small. Oh the curse of being useless with a map :colondollar:

Didn't you love being lost there, though? I went out for a wander and found so much, though I did cut it a bit fine when trying to find other colleges for my interviews :colondollar:
hello everyone, Im new here.

But also going to Oxford next year.

Whats everyone studying?
Reply 972
Original post by johnjohnson_111
hello everyone, Im new here.

But also going to Oxford next year.

Whats everyone studying?

hey johnjohnson! welcome to tsr :wink: I'm going to read fine art at St Catz.. what about you?
Sorry. Had to nab 1000. :biggrin:
Reply 974
Sorry to doublepost but -- are there any other gap yearers on this thread?

Yep! Currently working and hopefully doing a bit of travelling in the summer. I've got a offer for medicine at Queen's.
Tell me about it, the place is like a maze! I still get lost in the Covered Market.

Thanks for the recommendations! I have applied to a dozen or so summer jobs in the UK and Europe but I don't really want to work in the US since I want to do a lot of language work this summer in Europe... hopefully someone will offer me a job!

Initally I wanted to earn money in the UK in the winter and travel in Europe in the summer, but maybe I can just read my book list in winter and work in Europe in the summer! Fingers crossed.

And hey, there's always WOOFING, right?

Best of luck with those :smile: There's a summer camp in Italy somewhere but I think they speak English there - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to consider it hehe. And indeed, I always thought woofing sounded quite cool.

Aye to your adapted plans - this is true, I got my philosophy suggested reading list today to get stuck into. I wonder how much of that I'll understand first time round :rolleyes:
I don't need it for my Oxford offer (or any offers, for that matter), but I'm planning to do STEP 2 & 3 anyway (just for fun :biggrin: ). I didn't put it on UCAS. When entering me for the exams, the bloke at my school who does these things told me it would only let him enter me if he selected a university that was asking for it, so he just put down my Oxford college. I can't see it being an issue - I expect they'll just send my STEP results to Oxford, and they'll just ignore it, but I just wanted to mention it here out of "what-if" paranoia, so if I've accidentally instigated some heinous disaster, please let me know :smile:
My Granny just bought me University of Oxford tea towels from our local market. I'm starting to think that if she has her way, by the time I get to university everything I own will have an Oxford stamp on it :lolwut:
Original post by riotgrrl
My Granny just bought me University of Oxford tea towels from our local market. I'm starting to think that if she has her way, by the time I get to university everything I own will have an Oxford stamp on it :lolwut:

I want one! I want one! :stomp:
Original post by riotgrrl

There are a lot of guys at my school running around wearing an Oxford university jumper and don't have anything to do with the university what so ever, and I don't owe one, I feel pathetic :dry: :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending