The Student Room Group

Gaddafi forces has entered benghazi!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by amsie/
Same on sky??? :s-smilie:

It's a real shame too, if you think about it also, the Libya army is perhaps the worst standing army currently in the world, they were absolutley trounced by the much poorer and inferior Chadians and much of the fighters in Benghazi have absolutley no military training.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libya-Chad_conflict
Reply 21
Original post by 2ndClass
It's a real shame too, if you think about it also, the Libya army is perhaps the worst standing army currently in the world, they were absolutley trounced by the much poorer and inferior Chadians and much of the fighters in Benghazi have absolutley no military training.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libya-Chad_conflict

:yep: What were the rebels doing there in the first place? If it's a no fly zone, did they really expect to be left alone :s-smilie:
It's still really bad though :frown: & the Chad mercs were brought in by Gaddafi, but the libyan army itself is kinda crap apparently.
Reply 22
All the west seem to be doing is talking & "discussing what military action should be taken". Less chat more action! The same phrase keeps being reported "Diplomatic sources suggest world powers could start launching air-strikes on Libya within hours."
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ewan
All the west seem to be doing is talking & "discussing what military action should be taken". Less chat more action!

But this is what always happens when action should be taken.

It's when it shouldn't be taken that everyone is all ****YEAH!!12
Reply 24
Original post by 2ndClass
No on Al Jazeera they said it was Qaddafi's forces who shot down an opposition fighter jet.

No one seems to know who the jet belonged to accoriding to bbc news!!!

It's getting serious in benghazi anyway.!
Original post by Hamesh
Why?

I don't know. But enough people are willing to fight for him. And he clearly has many supporters in and around Tripoli.
Reply 26
Original post by Hamesh
Why?

I often ask that question myself about the conservative party.
Reply 27
When the british and french planes go in, how are the rebels going to know they are UN planes and not gaddafi one? Because it seems that the plane shot down may have been a rebel plane, shot down by rebel fighters!!!!!!!
Reply 28
I think the west should just stay out of this. It won't be long before air strikes aren't enough and then we have to invade Libya.
The UK and US just want regime change and oil.
Reply 29
Why do people keep saying Gaddafi still has support? All he's done is basically said 'support me or die' don't you wonder why all these people in Tripoli have gone missing?

Get in
Remove Gaddafi, and his small group of cronies
Get out
Let the Libyans sort themselves out, the West should not intervene with that!
Reply 30
The plane shot down is thought to be a MIG 23 that the piloted by a rebel and shot down by a rebel??????

How did the rebels get their hands on a MIG fighter jet? And why did they not know it is a fighter jet?

The lack of communication is possibly going to be a problem for un jets because the rebels may mistake them for gaddafi jets like the did with the mig.

Although it will be a lot harder to shoot down our jets.
Original post by U.S Lecce
The plane shot down is thought to be a MIG 23 that the piloted by a rebel and shot down by a rebel??????

How did the rebels get their hands on a MIG fighter jet? And why did they not know it is a fighter jet?

The lack of communication is possibly going to be a problem for un jets because the rebels may mistake them for gaddafi jets like the did with the mig.

Although it will be a lot harder to shoot down our jets.

Source?
Reply 32
Original post by Genocidal
I don't know. But enough people are willing to fight for him. And he clearly has many supporters in and around Tripoli.

I'm sorry for being such an arse, I am very confused. :confused:

How has he managed to sustain this support from the largest city and capital of Libya (Tripoli) for this long amid all the controversy?
Reply 33
Original post by spazman21
Source?

"AFP said rebel forces confirmed that a former Libyan air force jet crashed as it sought to attack loyalist troops on the outskirts of the rebel-held eastern city."
Link: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110319/twl-rebel-jet-shot-down-by-libyan-troops-3fd0ae9.html

I've seen various reports on google claiming it was gaddafi forces and various saying it was rebels forces that shot it down. More sources claim it was rebels forces that shot it down.
Reply 34
French jets are already over libya claims bbc news.
Reply 35
Original post by Hamesh
I'm sorry for being such an arse, I am very confused. :confused:

How has he managed to sustain this support from the largest city and capital of Libya (Tripoli) for this long amid all the controversy?

Tribal loyalties are very strong in Libya. Those who belong to Gaddafi's tribe see him as one of them and they will fight to the death to defend him. Most of the rebels belong to other tribes.

That is why this is more of a civil/secretarian war then a clear cut revolution. We should stil intervene however, if only to prevent a genocide in Benghazi.
If they do consider military strikes after a long, useless debate then I would hope they'd rip his loyalists a new and very bloody ar$ehole.
Original post by Wick3d
The man is a pathetic excuse for a human being. I honestly can't wait for the day when I buy the newspaper and the front page declares: GADDAFI DEAD!

why? Whats wrong with Gaddafi
Reply 38
Original post by Genocidal

Years of brain washing is hard to undo, plus there's the thread of violence so you can't be sure the people in Tripoli are genuine supporters, then it is unlikely that Libyan media is reporting the true story...
Reply 39
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
If they do consider military strikes after a long, useless debate then I would hope they'd rip his loyalists a new and very bloody ar$ehole.

Uk, french and canadian jets to start campaign later today claims ductch pm. BBC news source.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending