The Student Room Group

Recommend me some good ciders please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Kingstone Press isn't bad - I can get a 660ml bottle for £1 at booths.
Henneys is very very good actually, I particularly enjoy their dry cider (white label), the black label is good too, as is the st george cross label.
Taylor's Gold by Sheppy's is excellent too, AVOID Kingston Black though - that stuff actually tasted like vomit.

Someone mentioned Black Fox before, I assume they mean Black Fox by Dunkertons which isn't bad, although the best Dunkertons is their premium organic (that was in fact the first real cider I ever had. I hated it at the time but now I've come to appreciate the quality)

Have fun going through those!
Black & Gold.

Absolutely gorgeous (its Cornish) and they have a couple of varieties. I personally like their "blush" cider but its all lush. :smile:

Edit: http://www.cornishorchards.co.uk/products.php?cID=1
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Cant go too far wrong with a magners :smile:
Reply 23
four brothers make some decent ciders and the festival stuff is 7 percent and is less than £2 a bottle, i dont know if it comes in anything other than pear though

henry westons special reserve is the best for a strong cider though
Reply 24
Can't believe no one has mentioned green goblin yet...
Savanna is nice, not to sure of the content though, it's £1.72 a bottle in sainsburys.
Original post by T-Hill
Ha thank you.
Don't worry, I also only drink Magners :biggrin:

wheeey, but you live in norwich and I live near there so maybe its a norfolk thing ? ... ha
Koppaberg

Yum yum yum! I haven't actually tried the apple one but I'm currently drinking a pear now and it's lovely! The Christmas one they had a few months ago was fab too!
Reply 28
Kopparberg is de-lish, might be a bit sweet but I would reccomend it to try :biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by popsiclee67
wheeey, but you live in norwich and I live near there so maybe its a norfolk thing ? ... ha

Yeah quite possibly, although I only know one other person that likes it!
Original post by ellakrystina
Koppaberg

Yum yum yum! I haven't actually tried the apple one but I'm currently drinking a pear now and it's lovely! The Christmas one they had a few months ago was fab too!

Mmmmm, I just finished a bottle of the mixed fruit one...so refreshing :biggrin:

Although OP, it is quite sweet so if you prefer a dryer cider you may not like it. It's also only 4/4.5 %. But definitely worth a try :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Nothing beats a nice ice cold pint of cider on a hot summer's afternoon.

Savannah Dry is nice. Aspalls is good. Some of the Thatchers are pretty good. Stowford Press is excellent.

Most of the nicest session ciders are 4-5% though, not 6%+.

And Kopparberg is a sweet cider. OP wants a dry cider.
Original post by mackemforever
As the title says really.

I love good cider, plain and simple, but more often than not I'm disappointed by most ciders. I'm currently drinking some Henry Weston's cider and its pretty nice but I'm looking for some new stuff.

What I'm looking for is something:

Not too sweet
At least 6%
Less than about £2 per pint if bought in bulk
Nice!

Anybody got any recommendations?

Thanks very much.

Savana dry
Original post by py0alb
Nothing beats a nice ice cold pint of cider on a hot summer's afternoon.

Savannah Dry is nice. Aspalls is good. Some of the Thatchers are pretty good. Stowford Press is excellent.

Most of the nicest session ciders are 4-5% though, not 6%+.

And Kopparberg is a sweet cider. OP wants a dry cider.

damn, you beat me, where do you get your savannah at? I found it in SA and haven't seen if since I left
Reply 34
Original post by bestofyou
damn, you beat me, where do you get your savannah at? I found it in SA and haven't seen if since I left

Over the summer it was £1 for 500ml at Tescos. It's gone up to 1.70 since then, but if you get a 6 pack its still good value.
Reply 35
Anything from Westons. Old Rosie, Stowford etc

Nothing from Bulmers.
Lol OP you'd better start drinking :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by Lazaroo
... Black Rat...

This. The non-sparkling one though, lovely stuff.
nothing beats a nice cold pint of gaymers pear out of the pumps in your local pub <3

also jaques is nice...

and as im a poor student at the moment, and found 20 cans of strongbow for £10 a while back, iv been on the strongbow, lush with blackcurrant juice.
never had cider and black till i came to uni!

iv tasted quite a few, whatever gets me pissed is best, but when your on a out of the blue cider pub crawl, most pubs you will find have strongbow on tap!
Reply 39
Original post by AndyT
This. The non-sparkling one though, lovely stuff.

Yeah has to be the flat one.

Not keen on these new so called trendy ciders like Bulmers and Magners though :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest