The Student Room Group

C1 help please.

I'm self teaching AS maths (C1, C2 and D1) and I'm stuck on few questions. Mostly the questions at the end of the exercise which tend to be the harder ones.

I can't really ask my teacher as I'm a private candidate so I can only ask here.

(1916)32 (1{\frac{9}{16}}){\frac{3}{2}}

I've tried working it out by adding the fractions and then square rooting it.

Surds:

200+80 \sqrt{200}+ \sqrt{80}

do I just cancel it down?
Reply 1
Original post by bubblegum1992
I'm self teaching AS maths (C1, C2 and D1) and I'm stuck on few questions. Mostly the questions at the end of the exercise which tend to be the harder ones.

I can't really ask my teacher as I'm a private candidate so I can only ask here.

Surds:

What's the question?
Reply 2

Surds:

I think these questionare quite easy, I cud tell u how to do it, but u really need to think about it to get maximum benefit?! If u really tried lemme know ill go thru it!
Reply 3
Is it to the power of 3/2?
Reply 4
I assume that these are "simplify" questions. For the first one, turn it into an improper fraction and use the fact that amn=(an)ma^{\frac{m}{n}} = (\sqrt[n]{a})^{m}. For the second one, what are the factors of 200 and 80? Are any of these square numbers? So can you pull any of them out of the square root?

For example 12=4×312 = 4 \times 3 and 4 is a square number, so 12=4×3=23\sqrt{12} = \sqrt{4} \times \sqrt{3} = 2\sqrt{3}
Reply 5
Original post by nuodai
I assume that these are "simplify" questions. For the first one, turn it into an improper fraction and use the fact that amn=(an)ma^{\frac{m}{n}} = (\sqrt[n]{a})^{m}. For the second one, what are the factors of 200 and 80? Are any of these square numbers? So can you pull any of them out of the square root?

For example 12=4×312 = 4 \times 3 and 4 is a square number, so 12=4×3=23\sqrt{12} = \sqrt{4} \times \sqrt{3} = 2\sqrt{3}

Yep these are simplify questions: I've worked it out and for the first question I got:

Unparseable latex formula:

\frac{125}{64}}

and for the second one:

656\sqrt{5}
Reply 6
Yep these are simplify questions: I've worked it out and for the first question I got:

Unparseable latex formula:

\frac{125}{64}}

and for the second one:

656\sqrt{5}

Your first answer's right but not your second one. Show your working and I'll show you where you're going wrong.
Reply 7
Original post by nuodai
Your first answer's right but not your second one. Show your working and I'll show you where you're going wrong.

The question I got stuck on was Square root of 20 + square root of 80. I made an typo in my first post.

Thanks for the help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest