The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Katie678
And how many Durham students do you know?

1 who is a very good friend who I visited at Durham a few times in my 1st year. This lead me to meet his friends and a bunch of randoms during freshers.
Reply 161
Original post by mxr808

And the fact that there are so many people trying to argue that Durham is so amazingly good and better than all these Universities kind of proves a point. Their refusal to realise that there University is "good" rather than "amazing" is pure arrogance.

Which students are those? I see very few actual Durham students arguing that Durham is some pinnacle of excellence :p:. Its a very good university yes, especially in some departments, but no more 'very good' than a number of other universities.
Original post by mxr808
Surely if Durham students were as good as they say they are then they'd be going to Oxbridge or one of the good London Unis? :wink:

Remember that there are many people who would hate to live in London.
Reply 163
Original post by Mithra
Which students are those? I see very few actual Durham students arguing that Durham is some pinnacle of excellence :p:. Its a very good university yes, especially in some departments, but no more 'very good' than a number of other universities.

See past pages. Someone got really butthurt because I said that St Andrews, Warwick and York were better universities.
Reply 164
Original post by tiny hobbit
Remember that there are many people who would hate to live in London.

Do they also hate living in Oxford and Cambridge?
Reply 165
Original post by mxr808
There's no chip. Also you do realise that I'm doing a post-graduate Conversion course into Computer Science at Birmingham (Which is one of the best Universities for Computer Science anyway). I did my undergraduate degree at Imperial in BSc Geology.

Well I can turn around and say Imperial is full of arrogant students. Why? Because of the relative handful of people from Imperial and UCL I've encountered who are terribly arrogant. Think they're at Oxbridge. You appear to be one of them.

But I don't stereotype. Why? Partly because it's the Internet. But I also know that these students account for a very small percentage of students attending the university.

And the fact that there are so many people trying to argue that Durham is so amazingly good and better than all these Universities kind of proves a point.

When did I say Durham is better than all these universities? Where did anyone say this (with the exception of the OP who doesn't appear to be a current Durham student and merely stated that Durham is considered by many to be the best after Oxbridge and London - he didn't argue that it's "amazing" or even that he thinks it's the best of the rest).

Interesting that you're doing Computer Science at Birmingham. Three years back there was a member trying to chose between Durham and Birmingham. He had already admitted that, socially, Birmingham is the better choice. But was concerned that it doesn't have the "prestige" of Durham. Sure enough, this was met with a flood of replies from people creaming over Durham. I was the sole person arguing time and time again that Birmingham's department is probably superior and neither is Birmingham lacking in reputation. This was also at a time when I was very proud of my university (I have become rather jaded since then). If there was any time I'd join in the Durham creaming it would be then.

If I was so arrogant, and think my university is Oxbridge, then I wouldn't say this. I certainly wouldn't say that Durham is "as good" as any other Russell Group university (including those who many think are the "lesser" Russell Group members). I'm not unique either all of my friends at Durham will say the exact same thing or genunely don't care and concentrate on their own life.

Their refusal to realise that there University is "good" rather than "amazing" is pure arrogance.

"Amazing" is, to some degree, quite subjective. I don't think it's "amazing" but I do recognise that many of its departments can rival Imperial, LSE and UCL and see no evidence that its students are inferior. There are areas where it certainly needs to improve, providing a more cohesive support to students with disabilities for one thing, but all universities have negatives.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Gemma :)!
I'm so glad nobody on here actually listens to you. You're arrogant, selfish, opinionated, prejudiced and, not that you'd think it judging by your opinions of yourself, pretty uneducated. Not academically, maybe, but you have no idea about REAL people who lead REAL lives.

For you, if it isn't in a textbook, it isn't real. I don't want to hear from you again, because I really do find you that annoying. Don't bother replying.

YES.
Reply 167
Original post by mxr808
See past pages. Someone got really butthurt because I said that St Andrews, Warwick and York were better universities.

In case the last post (that I've only just made) is too long I'll summarise. I was not arguing that Durham is better than these universities. It is not. I was arguing that I see no reason why it is inferior.

I only asked you to provide some evidence to back up your claims that its students aren't as good as it is too small to compete on a regular basis (compete in what anyway? :p: )
Reply 168
Original post by River85
Well I can turn around and say Imperial is full of arrogant students. Why? Because of the relative handful of people from Imperial and UCL I've encountered who are terribly arrogant. Think they're at Oxbridge. You appear to be one of them.

But I don't stereotype. Why? Partly because it's the Internet. But I also know that these students account for a very small percentage of students attending the university.

When did I say Durham is better than all these universities? Where did anyone say this (with the exception of the OP who doesn't appear to be a current Durham student and merely stated that Durham is considered by many to be the best after Oxbridge and London - he didn't argue that it's "amazing" or even that he thinks it's the best of the rest).

Interesting that you're doing Computer Science at Birmingham. Three years back there was a member trying to chose between Durham and Birmingham. He had already admitted that, socially, Birmingham is the better choice. But was concerned that it doesn't have the "prestige" of Durham. Sure enough, this was met with a flood of replies from people creaming over Durham. I was the sole person arguing time and time again that Birmingham's department is probably superior and neither is Birmingham lacking in reputation. This was also at a time when I was very proud of my university (I have become rather jaded since then). If there was any time I'd join in the Durham creaming it would be then.

If I was so arrogant, and think my university is Oxbridge, then I wouldn't say this. I certainly wouldn't say that Durham is "as good" as any other Russell Group university (including those who many think are the "lesser" Russell Group members). I'm not unique either all of my friends at Durham will say the exact same thing or genunely don't care and concentrate on their own life.

"Amazing" is, to some degree, quite subjective. I don't think it's "amazing" but I do recognise that many of its departments can rival Imperial, LSE and UCL and see no evidence that its students are inferior. There are areas where it certainly needs to improve, providing a more cohesive support to students with disabilities for one thing, but all universities have negatives.

You're correct. Imperial is filled with arrogant students, I don't like most of them very much. Durham has a bit more of a middle to higher class student population though which may be why they just all come off as a lot more arrogant.

Birmingham isn't the best choice for a computer science conversion (Imperial also does one, as does Bristol which is likely better) but I'm doing it in a collaboration with the Earth Sciences department there to prep me for PhD.

All Universities have arrogant students, Durham just comes off as having more. They all seem to want to justify their own choice of going to Durham by trying to put down other Universities time and time again, then brag about the facilities they have. No other students usually feel the need to do that as much.
Original post by mxr808
Do they also hate living in Oxford and Cambridge?

You know as well as anyone (I assume) that there are many excellent students who don't get an offer from Cambridge or Oxford because there simply isn't room for all candidates who are considered good enough for those universities to be given places at them.
Reply 170
Original post by innerhollow
With regards to Cambridge, the people I know going to Cambridge (either from TSR or at my school) don't fit this arrogant stereotype, and come across instead as quite insecure, nervous but kind people. Remember that even high-achievers can feel overshadowed by even more remarkable people. The kid studying Engineering with A*A* in A-level Maths/FM may feel inadequate compared to his friends studying Maths who have 1/1 or 1/2 in STEP, who in turn may feel inadequate compared to even better Maths students, culminating in the IMO medallists and savants. It would be very easy to feel inadequate when you're surrounded by other exceptional people.

On the other hand, many of the people I know going to Oxford are stuck-up *****, but then again I know very few people going to Oxford.

There is obviously snobbery wherever you go, but from hearsay it has been suggested that Durham is a huge culprit for this stuck-up culture, followed by the likes of Bristol, St. Andrews, Exeter etc. And the folk at ICL/UCL/LSE are just too busy trying to get jobs in the City to have any time left over to be arrogant :biggrin:

I think some academics at the LSE are quite arrogant. I am thinking of one in particular who implicitely said I was not good enough for the LSE. I am a very sensitive person, so I felt so upset and no longer considered the LSE as an option.
I think some LSE students also are arrogant (or proud?). I know they have reason to be proud, but it just makes everyone else feel down (I know I am not LSE calibre, but why rub it in my face that you are studying there?)
Edinburgh students are pretty down-to-Earth. Mostly...
Reply 172
Original post by River85
In case the last post (that I've only just made) is too long I'll summarise. I was not arguing that Durham is better than these universities. It is not. I was arguing that I see no reason why it is inferior.

I only asked you to provide some evidence to back up your claims that its students aren't as good as it is too small to compete on a regular basis (compete in what anyway? :p: )

It just doesn't appear to me to be one of these Universities that has massive super expansions and skyscrapers like some of the really big city universities are doing. It's reputation as being for middle to higher class students fits in well with it's country life and I just don't see massive growth in that if it wants to try and remain "prestigious".
Reply 173
Original post by mxr808

All Universities have arrogant students, Durham just comes off as having more. They all seem to want to justify their own choice of going to Durham by trying to put down other Universities time and time again, then brag about the facilities they have. No other students usually feel the need to do that as much.

Perhaps they do. I've met some but these have been a small minority (you can count on two hands) which, in seven years, is not many. Perhaps I have a natural aversion to these people. I certainly wouldn't accept arrogant people in my circle of friends.

Your attempt to try and get people, namely me, to "brag" and "big up" Durham has backfired in a way. I was only trying to get you to back up statements.

If you'd said that Durham was amazing and so much better than Birmingham (or any other Russell or 1994 Group university) without backing it up then I'd still argue.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll take Northumbria over Durham in law.

Spoiler

Oxford and or Cambridge.... duh!
Every university. :dontknow:
Reply 176
Original post by mxr808
It just doesn't appear to me to be one of these Universities that has massive super expansions and skyscrapers like some of the really big city universities are doing.

Right, so "super expansions and skycrapers" makes a university good, or is better than growth that you cannot see so obviously? Just because a university is investing significant amounts of money in the coming years does not mean that it will experience growth, or those who are investing less will fall behind. Especially if those who are investing less had only just finished a major expansion.

Anyway, Durham is investing £300 million into expanding the university in the coming years. Some of this is already taking place with building work taking place at the science site. New administration buiding, the library is being expanded, Palace Green being turned into a heritage centre, Queens Campus facing some significant expansion...

That you do not know this and haven't seen the building work suggests you haven't been there in a few years.

It's reputation as being for middle to higher class students fits in well with it's country life and I just don't see massive growth in that if it wants to try and remain "prestigious".

Erm...it's not in the countryside and doesn't have "country life". We aren't all our hunting pheasents you know. Small city it may be, but it's still a city. The Eastern and northern parts of County Durham are more urban than the West. Cornwall, Weardale, Northern Northumberland...that's the countryside.

If you want to see "country life" at a higher education establishement then I suggest you go to the Royal Agricultural College outside Cirencester. Then come to Durham.

Then again, it's all relative, some say Warwick is "in the middle of nowhere" despite being on the edge of Coventry and forming part of one of the largest urban areas in the country.
People who are at top universities, but not at the very top ones.
Original post by itzme
I think some academics at the LSE are quite arrogant. I am thinking of one in particular who implicitely said I was not good enough for the LSE. I am a very sensitive person, so I felt so upset and no longer considered the LSE as an option.
I think some LSE students also are arrogant (or proud?). I know they have reason to be proud, but it just makes everyone else feel down (I know I am not LSE calibre, but why rub it in my face that you are studying there?)

Can you tell what they explicity said? This isn't particularly relevant to the thread, but if they said something like "It's a very competitive course" or "People who don't have 3As tend to be automatically rejected"- then I think you need to recognise your own sensitivity; and I doubt a tutor at an open day would be cruel exactly.

I was being quite light-hearted about LSE. There is a bit of a culture of being interested in what internships you have, what bank you're going to go work for etc. so that probably leads to some snobbery.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending