The Student Room Group

I don't know if I should carry on at uni

I started the first year of my degree in September and I failed. I'm already a year behind because I took a year out before I started. I didn't really go to many lectures this year like 1/4 at best due to anxiety and other issues i have asc so i found the social aspect of uni really stressfull. Without trying to sound to arrogant I didnt find gcse's and a levels too difficult. I know I need to go to all my lectures next year but I'm worried if I'm finding first year this stressful and difficult, is there any hope for me in second or third year? I really want a degree but I'm not sure if I'm capable.
Original post by Anonymous122345
I started the first year of my degree in September and I failed. I'm already a year behind because I took a year out before I started. I didn't really go to many lectures this year like 1/4 at best due to anxiety and other issues i have asc so i found the social aspect of uni really stressfull. Without trying to sound to arrogant I didnt find gcse's and a levels too difficult. I know I need to go to all my lectures next year but I'm worried if I'm finding first year this stressful and difficult, is there any hope for me in second or third year? I really want a degree but I'm not sure if I'm capable.

Hi @Anonymous122345,
Sorry to hear the last year did not go well for you. Deciding if to carry on is a big decision and one you don't want to regret or rush.
I would advise to reach out and communicate with your university - You may have a personal advisor or there may be support facilities. It is best to openly communicate with your uni as they will help to identify the different paths and opportunities available to you.
I wouldn't worry about age and feeling like you are "behind". There are many students who don't go straight from school. Some may have taken gap years, done access courses through college, swapped courses or a mature student.
If continuing, attending lectures really is a must to get the most out of your uni experience. Both for the knowledge side and for the social aspects. Often lectures and other classes will have aspect of group work, or Q&A sessions and for these to be beneficial they really need participation and for students to be attending.
Hopefully communicating with your uni and also any friends or family you feel comfortable speaking with can help you to make a decision that is best for you. All the best - Catherine (University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi @Anonymous122345,
Sorry to hear the last year did not go well for you. Deciding if to carry on is a big decision and one you don't want to regret or rush.
I would advise to reach out and communicate with your university - You may have a personal advisor or there may be support facilities. It is best to openly communicate with your uni as they will help to identify the different paths and opportunities available to you.
I wouldn't worry about age and feeling like you are "behind". There are many students who don't go straight from school. Some may have taken gap years, done access courses through college, swapped courses or a mature student.
If continuing, attending lectures really is a must to get the most out of your uni experience. Both for the knowledge side and for the social aspects. Often lectures and other classes will have aspect of group work, or Q&A sessions and for these to be beneficial they really need participation and for students to be attending.
Hopefully communicating with your uni and also any friends or family you feel comfortable speaking with can help you to make a decision that is best for you. All the best - Catherine (University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)

PRSOM
Original post by Anonymous122345

@Anonymous122345

It might be an idea to reach out to the university to find out ways in which they can support you with your ASC. It doesn't have to prevent you from succeeding and achieving a degree! It sounds like you did well in both your GCSEs and A' levels, so you might be able to use some of the same strategies to help you at university.

You might need to explain about things that can make you feel anxious to your lecturers, so that they can try to adapt their teaching methods where they can or so that you can be better prepared e.g. knowing beforehand that you are going to be working in new groups.

Try to break down/ identify what small changes you can make to feel less stressed and anxious. Maybe it's sitting in the same seat in the lecture theatre or trying to get to know a couple of people in your class who you feel comfortable spending time with or talking to.

Talk to your tutor so that you can get the support you need.

Maybe you could reach out to an ASC network or group to find out how others have managed at university or perhaps you could start a society at your university for ASC students.

Don't be discouraged!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending