The Student Room Group

bristol, exeter or nottingham for law?

hi, so essentially i’m looking for a uni which looks good to employers but is simultaneously a good uni experience ( in therms of making friends, social life etc.) i’m an ethnic minority who is working class so i also want a uni which doesn’t have a strong classist culture. which one would you guys say is the better uni keeping these things in mind? out of bristol, exeter or nottingham
Nottingham
Reply 2
Avoid Bristol!
Original post by MissAQA
Avoid Bristol!

why? Omg this was my top option
Reply 4
Yes it was my daughters too! The current treatment of their law students is not acceptable, hardly any teaching hours, marking strike and a group of law students (at least 50) have just had seriously downgraded results back for end of year exams, and I mean students receiving firsts in their formatives in Jan now being graded at 2:2 level in their summatives with no explanation. They are questioning the markers as it’s well known Bristol have had a marking strike but the uni are saying appeals cannot be made about the marking as it questions their credibility! The results page has also crashed for must of the day so many students cannot access their grades and many have missing grades when they can finally log on.It’s a sh!t show of a uni, and i really wish my daughter was somewhere else - I feel it’s a total waste of £thousands
Please read student accounts of the uni, don’t go by league tables for ‘research’ etc before making your decision x
Original post by Chocolatebrown2
why? Omg this was my top option

Bro if you really care about diversity then Bristol ain’t for you 💀
Original post by LawStudent456
Bro if you really care about diversity then Bristol ain’t for you 💀

damn😭😭im hearing this about every high ranking russel group uni though
You will find a mixture at all universities. Segregating oneself into groups is illogical and idiotic.
Out of your list I’d say Nottingham is probably the most diverse but maybe not the most diverse of RG as a whole. It will probably be the cheapest to live in on your list too.

I agree with others about Bristol & Exeter. I know of someone who went to a very good private school & her parents refused to let her look at Exeter as they said she needed to get away from ‘the private school, prep’ atmosphere & mix with more social classes - whatever that means lol 😆
hi, so essentially i’m looking for a uni which looks good to employers but is simultaneously a good uni experience ( in therms of making friends, social life etc.) i’m an ethnic minority who is working class so i also want a uni which doesn’t have a strong classist culture. which one would you guys say is the better uni keeping these things in mind? out of bristol, exeter or nottingham

Hi, I thought it might be worth me pitching in from the perspective of an university. I think you already know about league tables and rankings so won't repeat this and do the big selling pitch but instead focus on the make up of our student body which I think is more what you are looking for here. There is no hiding the fact that the South West is less diverse than other parts of the UK, and as an institution we are not the most multicultural and do have larger proportions of students from private schools. This said, we are actively working to diversify our student body; as an intuition we want to attract the brightest minds, regardless of their background and personal circumstances. If you look at the make-up of our student body over the last decade there has been an increase in diversity and we continue to work heard in this area.

The numbers are one part of it but what you are really seeking is the actual lived experience. I will be unable to provide this myself as a staff member, but would encourage you to reach out to current students to hear what they have found. Obviously you have posted here on TSR and hopefully your peers will continue to share their insights and perspectives. I would also recommend our ask a current student messaging service as a great way to speak to our students. It is also worth looking at the range of societies at our Exeter Campuses and Penryn Campus we have to showcase the breadth of interests and backgrounds in our student body.

I hope this provides some help, do let me know if there are any questions that I can help you with.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Original post by MissAQA
Yes it was my daughters too! The current treatment of their law students is not acceptable, hardly any teaching hours, marking strike and a group of law students (at least 50) have just had seriously downgraded results back for end of year exams, and I mean students receiving firsts in their formatives in Jan now being graded at 2:2 level in their summatives with no explanation. They are questioning the markers as it’s well known Bristol have had a marking strike but the uni are saying appeals cannot be made about the marking as it questions their credibility! The results page has also crashed for must of the day so many students cannot access their grades and many have missing grades when they can finally log on.It’s a sh!t show of a uni, and i really wish my daughter was somewhere else - I feel it’s a total waste of £thousands
Please read student accounts of the uni, don’t go by league tables for ‘research’ etc before making your decision x

The "seriously downgraded results back for end of year exams" also happened to my friend who did law at Bristol. The faculty was arrogant. It was a very bad experience.
damn😭😭im hearing this about every high ranking russel group uni though[/QUO

Some Bristol students are quite posh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending