The Student Room Group

Why do you love Classics?

Seeing as the classics section of TSR is somewhat lacking, I thought I'd try to kick-start a change! :sparta:

So, what's your favourite aspect of the subject?

Obviously I love the ancient history side of things, but some of the literature is just amazing too - wish I'd been able to study it in school!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My favourite aspect was the Tragedies, just because of the coincidental way the stories panned out, the whole class would have a good laugh at the way a King would be in the neighbourhood conveniently a la Medea :P
Reply 2
I wish I could read Latin :frown:
Original post by SteveCrain

I wish I could read Latin :frown:

You can always self teach - there are members on here that are always willing to help. I plan to self teach over the summer - I definitely need Latin (and Greek, but I know some basic Greek) for my course!
Reply 4
Original post by steffi.alexa
You can always self teach - there are members on here that are always willing to help. I plan to self teach over the summer - I definitely need Latin (and Greek, but I know some basic Greek) for my course!

Yeh I've got the first "teach yourself Latin book", as I'm at an inferior level now than when I did it in year nine and learned about 2 words. Chemistry is my leisure reading atm :creep:
Reply 5
Because of Horrible Histories and Rome Total War.

Yeh I've got the first "teach yourself Latin book", as I'm at an inferior level now than when I did it in year nine and learned about 2 words. Chemistry is my leisure reading atm :creep:

Don't think I've heard of that one. I'm using Galore Parks 'So you really want to learn latin' - there's loads to learn in such a small book but it's worth it.

Chemistry?!? :headhurts:
Original post by joe3469
Because of Horrible Histories and Rome Total War.

Haha, I must admit that Terry Deary did inspire some of my love for ancient history but the real history is so much more interesting! :woo:
Reply 8
Don't think I've heard of that one. I'm using Galore Parks 'So you really want to learn latin' - there's loads to learn in such a small book but it's worth it.

Chemistry?!? :headhurts:

Yes, that is the title

If you're interested
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=ocr+chemistry+as&hl=en&prmd=ivns&resnum=5&biw=1440&bih=691&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4607024529597186100&sa=X&ei=55uXTZf9FoT04Qbwu9mTBA&ved=0CFUQ8gIwAA#

lol..

Ah no, Edexcel AS Chemistry was enough for me - it only further reinforced my uni course choice! I am no scientist!
Reply 10
I studied it at A Level, it was my most enjoyable subject.

I just love the imagination. The way that their gods were as human as anyone, with human failings which made for some really spectacular stories.

How the Romans actually managed to advance their civilisation and spread so far.

And The Bacchae. My favourite Greek Tragedy. Ever.
the grammar :coma:

the history, the literature, the philosophy; everything. it's become an obsession for me now :sexface:
Original post by aliluvschoc

Original post by aliluvschoc
I studied it at A Level, it was my most enjoyable subject.

I just love the imagination. The way that their gods were as human as anyone, with human failings which made for some really spectacular stories.

How the Romans actually managed to advance their civilisation and spread so far.

And The Bacchae. My favourite Greek Tragedy. Ever.

I know - it amazes me how far they spread!

I really need to clue up on my classical literature :sigh:
Original post by medbh4805

the grammar :coma:

the history, the literature, the philosophy; everything. it's become an obsession for me now :sexface:

The grammar? Really? :p: Although I have to say I do prefer the way one can express oneself thanks to the cases etc, but that's more a fault of English :wink:

Wow, what are you studying at the moment?
Reply 14
When reading a text it is like the author is reaching out and speaking to you personally, so to get into the mindset and be spoken to by a great figure of the classical world (Cicero, Caesar, Virgil, etc) is a truly humbling experience.
The grammar? Really? :p: Although I have to say I do prefer the way one can express oneself thanks to the cases etc, but that's more a fault of English :wink:

Wow, what are you studying at the moment?

I'll be honest and I say I find Greek grammar difficult, but I've taken to reading this for pleasure :teehee:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greek-Grammar-Herbert-Weir-Smyth/dp/1849027773/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301782220&sr=8-1-fkmr0

nah don't worry I'm just a bit weird, and frankly obsessive :getmecoat: . I study 5 A levels in school (french, maths, physics, Irish and history) but my school indulges me and bought me the books for AS latin and Greek, having done the same for GCSE the last year. I read around it a lot too. I really would have liked to have done Class Civ and Ancient history, but they're not offered at my school :frown:

I'll be honest and I say I find Greek grammar difficult, but I've taken to reading this for pleasure :teehee:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greek-Grammar-Herbert-Weir-Smyth/dp/1849027773/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301782220&sr=8-1-fkmr0

nah don't worry I'm just a bit weird, and frankly obsessive :getmecoat: . I study 5 A levels in school (french, maths, physics, Irish and history) but my school indulges me and bought me the books for AS latin and Greek, having done the same for GCSE the last year. I read around it a lot too. I really would have liked to have done Class Civ and Ancient history, but they're not offered at my school :frown:

Haha, I didn't read grammar books and I took a weighted module in it last semester!

Wow, that is one generous school! What are you planning on doing for uni?

Seeing as the classics section of TSR is somewhat lacking, I thought I'd try to kick-start a change! :sparta:

So, what's your favourite aspect of the subject?

Obviously I love the ancient history side of things, but some of the literature is just amazing too - wish I'd been able to study it in school!

It's just delving into such an amazing ancient world for me, when you're reading "that type" of literature (for want of a better word).

Just a different experience from reading a typical book about modern history I think.

I wish I were clever enough to understand it tbh. :sad:
Original post by im so academic

Original post by im so academic
It's just delving into such an amazing ancient world for me, when you're reading "that type" of literature (for want of a better word).

Just a different experience from reading a typical book about modern history I think.

I wish I were clever enough to understand it tbh. :sad:

I know what you mean about a different world, though sometimes that bugs me - I just don't think I can stand reading any more Cicero!

I don't think it takes any more intelligence than normal history/literature/language, though perhaps it is a slightly different way of going about things.
Reply 19
Because im yet to do it, I imagine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending