The Student Room Group

a level history coursework

I'm starting my a levels in September and was thinking about my history coursework. I want to do something to do with Greek/Roman mythology but I don't know if this would be possible. if it is, does anyone have any ideas of what I could research?
Original post by Autumnspring20
I'm starting my a levels in September and was thinking about my history coursework. I want to do something to do with Greek/Roman mythology but I don't know if this would be possible. if it is, does anyone have any ideas of what I could research?

Hi!
Im currently doing Ancient History at Manchester and got an A* in Classical Civilisation at A Level, so hopefully I can be of help!
Depending on your school, the topics you can chose are really varied or they may give you a set of questions to chose from. Moreover, I did my coursework in year 13, so second year of A-Levels. If you're allowed to choose any topic, then this theme is such a good one to pick but it is important to make sure your question is quite specific as you don't have a lot of words (it may seem like a lot right now, but the second you start writing you'll want an extra 1000s of words:smile:)
When writing coursework, the area you chose to focus on needs to have a debate surrounding it which allows you to incorporate scholars as well as come down in your conclusion on one side. For example, for my Coursework, I did it on how much was the Tsarina to blame for the end of Romanov dynasty. This allowed me to say that there was a debate, why there was a debate and then put my opinion on it.

So, form this general information, it may be wise to focus your question quite narrowly or make religion as a whole your focus rather than mythology. I say this, as mythology is much more literature focused and religion is historical, and you want to make this a history essay not a classical civilisation one!

If you're not allowed to do this question, look into an EPQ! I did my EPQ on the Roman Republic and got an A* as I couldn't do it for coursework!

Any other questions lmk :smile:
Original post by WillowRose33!
Hi!
Im currently doing Ancient History at Manchester and got an A* in Classical Civilisation at A Level, so hopefully I can be of help!
Depending on your school, the topics you can chose are really varied or they may give you a set of questions to chose from. Moreover, I did my coursework in year 13, so second year of A-Levels. If you're allowed to choose any topic, then this theme is such a good one to pick but it is important to make sure your question is quite specific as you don't have a lot of words (it may seem like a lot right now, but the second you start writing you'll want an extra 1000s of words:smile:)
When writing coursework, the area you chose to focus on needs to have a debate surrounding it which allows you to incorporate scholars as well as come down in your conclusion on one side. For example, for my Coursework, I did it on how much was the Tsarina to blame for the end of Romanov dynasty. This allowed me to say that there was a debate, why there was a debate and then put my opinion on it.

So, form this general information, it may be wise to focus your question quite narrowly or make religion as a whole your focus rather than mythology. I say this, as mythology is much more literature focused and religion is historical, and you want to make this a history essay not a classical civilisation one!

If you're not allowed to do this question, look into an EPQ! I did my EPQ on the Roman Republic and got an A* as I couldn't do it for coursework!

thanks so much for your reply! I'll definitely take this under advisement and if I can't do it, I'll do it as the epq because it is compulsory at my school. thanks again!
Hi!

Hi! I'm currently struggling to find a coursework topic myself and I love Greek and Norse mythology! Do you have any ideas of what questions would be a good choice for the essay? I am considering doing a question about the history of medicine but the 100yr time limit is really restricting. I've been looking into other topics and came across this thread! Do you have any specific question ideas or debates that may be good to focus on?
Original post by morganolivia23
Hi! I'm currently struggling to find a coursework topic myself and I love Greek and Norse mythology! Do you have any ideas of what questions would be a good choice for the essay? I am considering doing a question about the history of medicine but the 100yr time limit is really restricting. I've been looking into other topics and came across this thread! Do you have any specific question ideas or debates that may be good to focus on?

Hi,
I don't think ill be any help with Norse, but I can offer some starting points for Greek based essays!

History of medicine is really interesting but 100 years might not be enough you could focus on:
-Who had more influence on the understanding of medicine Galen or Aristotle?
-What caused Greek ideas of medicine to spread? Why were Greek ideas so popular?

others topics about Greek history which I find interesting and easy to write about:
-Early Greek colonisation (why, where, who, patterns)
-Emergence of polis (theres a debate about why they emerged)
-If you're into warfare, the hoplite revolution might be interesting, how this played a role in the development of the polis
- Socrates vs Euthyphro on their ideas about religion and piety
- Persian and Peloponnesian wars
-Solon's reforms
-Why did Macedonian empire not survive after AtG
-Athens as the birthplace of democracy: can we say this is true?
-When did Greece become Greece? (Ideas about polis and unity)
If you want to talk specifically about a place, go for Athens! Lots of primary sources survive, makes your life easier.

This might have been useless, but hopefully this gives a few ideas of smaller timeline topics :smile:
Hi,
I don't think ill be any help with Norse, but I can offer some starting points for Greek based essays!

History of medicine is really interesting but 100 years might not be enough you could focus on:
-Who had more influence on the understanding of medicine Galen or Aristotle?
-What caused Greek ideas of medicine to spread? Why were Greek ideas so popular?

others topics about Greek history which I find interesting and easy to write about:
-Early Greek colonisation (why, where, who, patterns)
-Emergence of polis (theres a debate about why they emerged)
-If you're into warfare, the hoplite revolution might be interesting, how this played a role in the development of the polis
- Socrates vs Euthyphro on their ideas about religion and piety
- Persian and Peloponnesian wars
-Solon's reforms
-Why did Macedonian empire not survive after AtG
-Athens as the birthplace of democracy: can we say this is true?
-When did Greece become Greece? (Ideas about polis and unity)
If you want to talk specifically about a place, go for Athens! Lots of primary sources survive, makes your life easier.

This might have been useless, but hopefully this gives a few ideas of smaller timeline topics :smile:

Honestly thank you so much! I love the medicine ideas but I agree, I don't think 100 years is enough. I really love 'Athens s the birthplace of democracy' question. I take both politics and history so that one really stands out for me! I also love the Socrates vs Euthyphro and the hoplite revolution! Thank you for the ideas, they've honestly been so helpful! You've given me lots to think about!
Original post by morganolivia23
Honestly thank you so much! I love the medicine ideas but I agree, I don't think 100 years is enough. I really love 'Athens s the birthplace of democracy' question. I take both politics and history so that one really stands out for me! I also love the Socrates vs Euthyphro and the hoplite revolution! Thank you for the ideas, they've honestly been so helpful! You've given me lots to think about!

So glad this was helpful!
The democracy one is one of my favourites!
I've just being doing all the questions you mentioned at uni so if you do anything similar just lmk if you need help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest