The Student Room Group

Afghanistan: Deadly Kandahar protest at Koran burning

Ten people have been killed in the Afghan city of Kandahar during a demonstration against the burning of a Koran in the US, officials say.

Hundreds of people took part in the protest. Gunfire was heard and cars were set on fire.

On Friday, seven UN workers were killed after a protest over the same issue in in the northern city of Mazar-e Sharif.

It was the worst attack on the UN mission in Afghanistan since the international invasion in 2001.

Further violence

A large and angry crowd surged through the streets of Kandahar, chanting "They have insulted our Koran" and "Death to America", the BBC's Paul Wood reports from Kabul.

The authorities in both Kandahar and Mazar-e Sharif blamed the Taliban for the attacks. However, the Taliban has rejected the accusation.

"The foreigners brought the wrath of the Afghans on themselves by burning the Koran," he said.

UN staff remain on maximum security alert and under lockdown, our correspondent says. However, there is no move yet to evacuate them from Afghanistan, as happened in 2009 after an attack on a UN guesthouse.

Separately, three insurgents were killed when they attacked a Nato base.

They were stopped before they could enter the compound, Nato and Afghan police said.

At least one was wearing a burka, news agencies reported on Saturday, quoting police sources.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon condemned the violence in Mazar-e Sharif as "outrageous and cowardly". Afghan President Hamid Karzai said it was inhumane and against Islamic and Afghan values.

In all, 14 people were killed.

Local police told the BBC that 27 people had been arrested following the demonstration in Mazar-e Sharif.

'Overwhelming'

The demonstrators were angered by the actions of US Pastor Wayne Sapp, who set light to a copy of the Koran at a church in Florida on 20 March.

The burning took place under the supervision of Pastor Jones, who last year drew condemnation over his aborted plan to burn copies of the Koran on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

Pastor Jones has denied responsibility for the lethal protests in Afghanistan.

Witnesses said the protest - which began outside the central Blue Mosque after Friday prayers - began peacefully but suddenly turned violent.

The crowds moved to outside the UN compound, where a small group broke away.

Several demonstrators were killed by guards at the compound, who were then overpowered by the mob.

Munir Ahmad Farhad, a spokesman for the provincial governor, said the group seized weapons from the guards and opened fire before storming the building.

A state of emergency has now been declared in the city, Afghan intelligence sources told the BBC. All roads in and out of Mazar have been blocked and cars are being checked, says the BBC's Bilal Sarwary.

Dan McNorton, spokesman for the UN mission in Afghanistan, said: "Three international Unama (United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan) staff members were killed, and four international armed security guards were killed."

One of the dead was a Swedish national, while another came from Norway. The other foreign victims are believed to be a Romanian and four Nepalese guards.

US President Barack Obama condemned the attack "in the strongest possible terms", saying the work of the UN "is essential to building a stronger Afghanistan".

The top UN representative in Afghanistan, Staffan De Mistura, has flown to the area to handle the matter.

Local police spokesman Lal Mohammad Ahmadzai told reporters that two of the UN staff had been beheaded.

However, police Gen Abdul Rafu Taj said that "according to the initial reports... none were beheaded". He said they were shot in the head.

Kieran Dwyer, director of communications for the UN mission in Afghanistan, said the UN workers had been trapped inside the compound and "hunted down" in what was an "overwhelming situation".

Mr Dwyer said it was too early to tell how the attack happened or why the UN was targeted, but that the organisation would now take extra security measures.

But he added: "The UN is here to stay. We're here to work with the people to help them achieve peace, and this sort of thing just highlights how important that is."

Protests were held in several other Afghan cities on Friday which demonstrators in Herat had called a "day of anger", Afghanistan's Noor TV channel reports.

Scroll to see replies

Lies, lies, lies. Islam is a religion of peace.
Reply 2
WAHHHHHHH WAHHHHHH WAHHHHHH THAT EVIL AMERICAN BURNED MY FAIRYTALE BOOK WAHHHH
Reply 3
Islamic Fundamentalism: Bulwark against Rationality

edit: also very violent
Reply 4

Spoiler

They're stupid and violent. What can you expect?
Reply 6
Original post by White Beauty
Lies, lies, lies. Islam is a religion of peace.

Regardless of whether Islam is a religion of peace or not, the Afghans certainly aren't peaceful.

I'm sure if they were Christians and the Bible was burnt, they'd act in the same way (all other factors being equal; i.e. they were still religous,there was 30 years of war in the country, there currently being a war in the country and people from that invading country were burning their holy book and so insulting their values, they didn't know that it is an isolated incident and not representative of all citizens of that invading country amongst many other factors contributing to their 'backwardness' etc etc).

Depressing really.
Reply 7
there no more barbaric then us.

we drop bombs on a daily basis and kill children and women who have done nothing. We seem not to think this is barbaric, we just wash our hands of it because we have been told its to protect our "Freedom". I'm not Muslim but there is too much hate for Islam. We need to look at what our countries are doing, instead of judging others. we dont even know how true the article is as the media is full of lies.

The clothes we are wearing now most likely come from a sweatshop were children are being exploited. the same can be said for the laptops or PC we are using now. But hey were fine with that because we cant see it, lets take shots at Islam and make our selfs feel better that were not like them.
Original post by harvie_316
there no more barbaric then us.

we drop bombs on a daily basis and kill children and women who have done nothing. We seem not to think this is barbaric, we just wash our hands of it because we have been told its to protect our "Freedom". I'm not Muslim but there is too much hate for Islam. We need to look at what our countries are doing, instead of judging others. we dont even know how true the article is as the media is full of lies.

The clothes we are wearing now most likely come from a sweatshop were children are being exploited. the same can be said for the laptops or PC we are using now. But hey were fine with that because we cant see it, lets take shots at Islam and make our selfs feel better that were not like them.

Civilian casualties are an unfortunate art of war. It cannot be helped, the west do not target civilians unlike the Taliban and al queda.

sweatshopes are an important part of third world countries economy. They should be thankful for our business
Reply 9
It is not a war, its an illegal occupation of a country. Its pretty much most of NATO vs a pocket full of rebels in Afghanistan. I mean what would you do if people invaded what country you live in, and at any point in time can kick you out of your house and say its not yours to own any more, good bye. And the only civilian causalities are from the middle east.

We are only there to serve our own interest such as Oil, opium, to create more bases in the middle east so we can point more misses at more countries. Creating and using weapons is big money, its a cycle, and billion dollar industry. Thats why the US are always at war, they need to use them, so they can produce more.

as for your last comment, appox $450m is spent per day on the world, we have already spend in the excess of $1trillion in the wars with Iraq and Afghanistan,what have we really done expect put the country in more debt and kill innocent people and our boys. The 1trillion could of been used to solve world hungry. The problem is our world is now based on money and greed, you **** on someone else to make a quick buck, its sad but thats how it is. We **** on the people i mentioned who work 12hrs a day, no bathroom brakes, and have no human rights. So we can write on forums, play computer games. Then we are getting **** on by our employers, who make billions a year and we get peanuts for it.

sad world.
(edited 13 years ago)
It is not a war, its an illegal occupation of a country. Its pretty much most of NATO vs a pocket full of rebels in Afghanistan. I mean what would you do if people invaded what country you live in, and at any point in time can kick you out of your house and say its not yours to own any more, good bye. And the only civilian causalities are from the middle east.

We are only there to serve our own interest such as Oil, opium, to create more bases in the middle east so we can point more misses at more countries. Creating and using weapons is big money, its a cycle, and billion dollar industry. Thats why the US are always at war, they need to use them, so they can produce more.

as for your last comment, appox $450m is spent per day on the world, we have already spend in the excess of $1trillion, which could of been used to solve world hungry. The problem is our world is now based on money and greed, you **** on someone else to make a quick buck, its sad but thats how it is. We **** on the people i mentioned who work 12hrs a day, no bathroom brakes, and have no human rights. So we can write on forums, play computer games. Then we are getting **** on by our employers, who make billions a year and we get less then a fraction.

sad world.

If I was living under the Talibn I would be grateful for Western interventoin
Reply 11
If I was living under the Talibn I would be grateful for Western interventoin

I would too if I listened to the mainstream media :smile:
I would too if I listened to the mainstream media :smile:

The Taliban are on of the most violent barbaric people living on earth today. Are you saying otherwise ?
Reply 13
I'm sorry. But when you compare our Military to those barbarians you can just stfu and gtfo!
Reply 14
Original post by Steevee
I'm sorry. But when you compare our Military to those barbarians you can just stfu and gtfo!

The invasion of Iraq along with the massacre of Fallujah and use of depleted uranium was certainly a barbaric act, irrespective of it being done in the name of 'democracy.' That blatant disregard for human life is absolutely comparable to the Taliban.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by B-Man.
The invasion of Iraq along with the massacre of Fallujah and use of depleted uranium was certainly a barbaric act, irrespective of it being done in the name of 'democracy.' That blatant disregard for human life was certainly comparable to the Taliban.

That being said I am no apologist for the vicious, archaic lunatics that are the Taliban.

I disagree. And it should be noted that I talk mainly of British and other non-US NATO/UN forces here.

The US are reckless. I'm not going to deny that.

But to compare our military to the Taliban? It's frankly one of the worst insults I can think of. Do you know how many civilian casualties can be attributed to our forces? Hardly any. Now have a look at that figure for the insurjants.

They are nothing alike. One is there trying to help the people, trying to get them on their feet and into civilisation. The other wants to dominate them with dogma and force. I have never seen a British soldier stone a woman, or cut off their nose. I've never seen a British soldier perform an honour killing, kill someone for not having a beard.

Please, don't ever compare the British Military to the Taliban.
Reply 16
The Taliban are on of the most violent barbaric people living on earth today. Are you saying otherwise ?

I'm not saying that. I'm saying we should look out ourselfs and what our army does, before calling others barbaric, or whatever words you want to use. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Original post by Steevee

Reply 17
Original post by Steevee

They are nothing alike. One is there trying to help the people, trying to get them on their feet and into civilisation. The other wants to dominate them with dogma and force. I have never seen a British soldier stone a woman, or cut off their nose. I've never seen a British soldier perform an honour killing, kill someone for not having a beard.

Please, don't ever compare the British Military to the Taliban.

you never see, because why would the news put that up? I mean you see our soldiers torture, and demean iraqi civilians, this is not on the news. However it get leaked out once every few years, it happening all the time, you just dont see it. Because they only let you see what they want. in Guantanamo bay, human rights are being breached everyday. We dont care, as long its not happening to use, we passivelysupport and accept it.

We are causing mass genocide on a wide scale, over 500 Atomic bombs have been dropped in the atmosphere. The bombs which are dropping now in Libya contain depleted Uranium, which is going to have massive affects there in 10-20 years. I dont blame you for your views, but your views on based on what dis-information you have read or seen in the news.

even our boys are saying it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akm3nYN8aG8&feature=related
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
I'm not saying that. I'm saying we should look out ourselfs and what our army does, before calling others barbaric, or whatever words you want to use. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Oh wow, that video.

Ok, so one gunship crew laugh and joke while they fire on what look like insurgants. Admittedly afterwards, the second burst of fire is not protocol. But what are you gunna do? Are you honestly trying to say that is comparable to the deliberate killing of civilians. The bodily mutilation of women and their subsequent condemnation to death for just being accused of seeing a man without a chaperone?
Reply 19
you never see, because why would the news put that up? I mean you see our soldiers torture, and demean iraqi civilians, this is not on the news. However it get leaked out once every few years, it happening all the time, you just dont see it. Because they only let you see what they want. in Guantanamo bay, human rights are being breached everyday. We dont care, as long its not happening to use, we passivelysupport and accept it.

We are causing mass genocide on a wide scale, over 500 Atomic bombs have been dropped in the atmosphere. The bombs which are dropping now in Libya contain depleted Uranium, which is going to have massive affects there in 10-20 years. I dont blame you for your views, but your views on based on what dis-information you have read or seen.

I disagree.

Of course our soldiers may torture prisoners. But don;t kid yourself, every nation tortures. We all say we don;t, but we know we do. And do I oppose the tortue of terrorists? The torture of people who plant bombs that kill hundreds of innocents? Honestly, no, no I don't. They deserve everything they get. Judge me if you like, but that's my opinion.

I'd have you know that I try to see every report of such instances. And there are surprisingly few. Point me in the direction of say....3 incidents of British soldiers deliberatley killing civilians in the last 5 years. Good luck with that. And even if such a thing can be done, which I doubt, you have to note that these would be the exception to the exceptional force that is the British Armed Services. You look at the work they do out there, just watch a few documenteries. See the medical aid they provide, how they clear IED's that would kill a civilian car that drove over them, how they rescued and treated women mutilated by the Taliban. Then, compare them to the Taliban.

What exactly have the 500 Atomic bombs got to do with anything? You realise they have an infintesimle impact on global radiation levels? How can that be genocide? That's an absurd claim. For one genocide requires targetted destruction of a certain group of people, are you going to tell me Americans are immune to radiation or something? :rolleyes:

And yes, I am aware of the use of depleted Uranium. I consider it a bit of a tactical blunder, they could have used tungsten bunker busters in lieu of Uranium.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending