The Student Room Group

Best textbooks from which to learn A level maths

Hi there

I was thinking of learning as much A level maths as possible this year in preparation for an OU degree. So, could anyone recommend me the best textbooks for learning the syllabus most effectively? Whether it's OCR/Edexcel doesn't really matter. :smile:

Thanks.
Reply 1
Edexcel textbooks are pretty good. The newest ones even have a CD in them which contains solutions to every single question in the book, so you don't have to worry if you get stuck on something.

This is an example of one of those new textbooks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519107/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301751011&sr=8-1

I think out of all the A-level subjects, maths probably has the most resources out there for students, espicially on the internet:
- TSR maths forum :awesome:
- Youtube
- http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/

Can't speak for other exam boards though as I haven't taken maths exams with them.
Reply 2
Khan Academy is what I'll be using for revision. Covers a huge amount of material.
Reply 3
Edexcel textbooks for the edexcel syllabus work fine.

If you really want you can subscribe to livemaths.co.uk. I use this because I'm self-teaching f.maths atm
Original post by 3.5Nando
Khan Academy is what I'll be using for revision. Covers a huge amount of material.

It is really good for all Sciences and Maths. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Not the ones in my school they are riddled with errors.
Reply 6
+1 for Khan Academy, but if you want to learn specifically the A-Level syllabus, get the Bostock and Chandler books (Mathematics - The Core Course, Further Pure Mathematics, Mechanics and Probability and Further Mechanics and Probability). You can get them pretty cheaply (especially the Core Course) off of eBay and Amazon.
Reply 7
The OCR ones my school had were dire. I could understand a topic fine and then try and read what the book said and it was like a foreign language. I would go with edexcel.
Original post by W.H.T

Original post by W.H.T
Edexcel textbooks are pretty good. The newest ones even have a CD in them which contains solutions to every single question in the book, so you don't have to worry if you get stuck on something.

This is an example of one of those new textbooks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519107/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301751011&sr=8-1

I think out of all the A-level subjects, maths probably has the most resources out there for students, espicially on the internet:
- TSR maths forum :awesome:
- Youtube
- http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/

Can't speak for other exam boards though as I haven't taken maths exams with them.

Sounds like Edexcel ones are the best then! Thanks everyone for your feedback. :smile:

So, if I got each of those module books, would you recommend anything else to help, e.g. workbooks, past exam papers, etc.? Money is no object really. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Alian
The OCR ones my school had were dire. I could understand a topic fine and then try and read what the book said and it was like a foreign language. I would go with edexcel.

Yeah same here! Our teacher just gave up with them and only uses them for questions for us to do!
However, their desicion text book is really good, so if you want to do desicion then buy one - so much better set out and really explains everything easily so you get it if you are trying to teach yourself
Reply 10
Original post by addylad
Sounds like Edexcel ones are the best then! Thanks everyone for your feedback. :smile:

So, if I got each of those module books, would you recommend anything else to help, e.g. workbooks, past exam papers, etc.? Money is no object really. :smile:

Past papers definitely which I assume you know to get them from the exam board website.

There are other workbooks and practise papers out there that could help you further (such as solomon papers), but I don't think they should be necessary as there are enough questions in the textbooks and past papers to keep you busy for a long time :biggrin:
Original post by W.H.T

Original post by W.H.T
Past papers definitely which I assume you know to get them from the exam board website.

There are other workbooks and practise papers out there that could help you further (such as solomon papers), but I don't think they should be necessary as there are enough questions in the textbooks and past papers to keep you busy for a long time :biggrin:

Awesome! Yeah, that was my main concern really. If the content is well-explained and there are plenty of questions, then they should be perfect. :biggrin: + rep when TSR lets me. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest