The Student Room Group

Should I trust entirely the A-level Maths textbook?

Hey guys, it's my first time in year 12 so obviously i am a bit worried but here is the thing, my A-level maths teachers are bad at teaching so I can only rely on the textbook to cover the content. I do Edexcel A-level math and I use the A-level Pearson AS/A-level textbook. I would like to know if it covers the integrity of maths and only the questions from the textbook that the textbook taught because it's from Pearson itself , will come up. I am scared that by only learning from the textbook (including the practice questions) I might lack information required for the exam. so yeah...
I also like to know if any of you guys do A-level maths and if you have any tips to get A* 😅
Thank you for taking the time to read 😁
Reply 1
Original post by dragontail_Lia
Hey guys, it's my first time in year 12 so obviously i am a bit worried but here is the thing, my A-level maths teachers are bad at teaching so I can only rely on the textbook to cover the content. I do Edexcel A-level math and I use the A-level Pearson AS/A-level textbook. I would like to know if it covers the integrity of maths and only the questions from the textbook that the textbook taught because it's from Pearson itself , will come up. I am scared that by only learning from the textbook (including the practice questions) I might lack information required for the exam. so yeah...
I also like to know if any of you guys do A-level maths and if you have any tips to get A* 😅

I take Edexcel A level maths, and I think that it's *very* important that you do past paper exam questions. The text book questions are good for the basics but I think that past paper questions are probably more important.
Reply 2
Youtube has also been very useful for me when I get stuck on certain topics!
Reply 3

Use Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29
I agree fully with the above posts by ManUtd_21. The textbooks are a good means of learning and recapping the basics, but past papers are far more useful practice than the questions in the textbook (which I generally found much simpler than actual exam questions). Other resources can be found online, too. You have Dr Frost maths (which although I personally didn’t find useful, is generally very well regarded and worth a look as it may work well with your learning style) and BicenMaths for example.
Thank you so much guys!! 🥹 I do think that practicing paper is definitely something that I have to get used to. I am scared that watching YouTube videos might not cover the content deeper. But for teaching you the basics it's actually pretty good. TypicalNerd I had a look at the youtuber you recommended me and he is going over a lot of things. thank you!
By the way my teacher uses Dr. Frost Maths slides for teaching. I feel like the slides are not adapted to teach students because it doesn't really teach you much but more gives you questions and bases the slides on that. I don't know...
Reply 6
Thank you so much guys!! 🥹 I do think that practicing paper is definitely something that I have to get used to. I am scared that watching YouTube videos might not cover the content deeper. But for teaching you the basics it's actually pretty good. TypicalNerd I had a look at the youtuber you recommended me and he is going over a lot of things. thank you!
By the way my teacher uses Dr. Frost Maths slides for teaching. I feel like the slides are not adapted to teach students because it doesn't really teach you much but more gives you questions and bases the slides on that. I don't know...

Dr Frost is good but the slides should be adapted not just downloaded! It's a bit early to do past papers - maybe do AS ones in Year 12.
Original post by Muttley79
Dr Frost is good but the slides should be adapted not just downloaded! It's a bit early to do past papers - maybe do AS ones in Year 12.

Yesss exactly. I think the slide should be used to practice questions and not to introduce a topic. I practice the textbook questions for physics (my teacher hacked the textbook so we got it for free), for maths I tried Maths genie.
Reply 8
Original post by ManUtd_21
Youtube has also been very useful for me when I get stuck on certain topics!

do you prefer using the youtube videos or textbook, currently stuck between using the textbook and youtube videos, dont know what would be better to relearn content aswell as more time efficient
Reply 9
Original post by TypicalNerd
I agree fully with the above posts by ManUtd_21. The textbooks are a good means of learning and recapping the basics, but past papers are far more useful practice than the questions in the textbook (which I generally found much simpler than actual exam questions). Other resources can be found online, too. You have Dr Frost maths (which although I personally didn’t find useful, is generally very well regarded and worth a look as it may work well with your learning style) and BicenMaths for example.

im currently stuck between choosing what to use to relearn a level maths, using youtube videos or the textbook. Im currently using mr bicen, but was wondering if it would be more efficient to use the textbook?

Quick Reply

Latest