The Student Room Group

Learning A-Level Maths by Videos or Text?

Hi, I asked one of my math teachers who has a PhD in Maths and he said the best way to learn maths is by using textbooks and reading instead of using YouTube videos and that this was scientifically proven.
Is he right? And what is your opinion?
Reply 1
Original post by Ishti54
Hi, I asked one of my math teachers who has a PhD in Maths and he said the best way to learn maths is by using textbooks and reading instead of using YouTube videos and that this was scientifically proven.

Not sure about whats been scientifically proven, and its generally up to the individual about what things (plural) they need/find the most useful/convenient to learn from. Textbooks generally include skill building exercises, give objectives and summaries/reflection, highlighting keypoints etc and the usual learning videos can miss some of these. However, "learning" videos are convenient, can replay whats covered in the classroom,, may focus on worked exam papers etc. People generally use both, but Id stuggle to provide any scientific proof about this.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Ishti54

Beyond A-Level, I wouldn’t recommend YouTube as a substitute for textbooks only as a supplement to them.

Textbooks tend to be thorough and contain technical details which can be difficult to understand at times, at which point a video (if it exists AND is for the correct audience) can be very useful.

For scientific proof, your teacher should cite his source given his background. 🙂

In the context of A-Level, there are plenty of dedicated educators who make videos for this entire course. It is easier to recommend these videos as they are so tailored, and often A-Level doesn’t have that level of technicality which would easily be omitted in videos. If the person teaching is good enough, they shouldn’t miss things out.

At the end of the day, always use a textbook to ensure you have covered all topics, and also use it to practice problems and check your answers. They are there to bridge you directly to the exam questions you will be sitting which is very useful considering your exam board endorses/produces your textbook, so you get to know what to expect.
Find a textbook with plenty of practice problems and you'll be all set.
Reply 4
Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by Oxford Aspirant
Find a textbook with plenty of practice problems and you'll be all set.

Yeah, it's just that i need to fully understand the concept before doing questions.
Original post by Ishti54
Yeah, it's just that i need to fully understand the concept before doing questions.

Almost never do you actually need to understand every single bit before doing the questions.

Depending on your preference (mine anyway), dive straight into doing the maths is more time-efficient. When you get stuck, flip back a couple pages - there should be a definition you missed or a worked example somewhere. Sometimes actually work through the worked example (i.e. cover the solution given) help a bunch.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest