The Student Room Group

Past Paper VS Notetaking & Questions/Examples

Hi

As it is the easter holidays (study holiday) what people think is more effective? hammering past papers or read, note taking and a few examples. Or both even, like the latter first then past papers.

For me , in maths , i dont know why , i prefer doing the notetaking and examples and not past papers
Reply 1
Well me personally, I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO do past papers, then take a bath then make a ring of salt and dance a celtic dance while singing gaelic in the circle and turning around for 17 minutes before I can get into bed. If I don't do this on a daily basis I will haemorrage throughout the night and probably die while eating my cornflakes next morning. Trufax
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by animelover123
Hi

As it is the easter holidays (study holiday) what people think is more effective? hammering past papers or read, note taking and a few examples. Or both even, like the latter first then past papers.

For me , in maths , i dont know why , i prefer doing the notetaking and examples and not past papers

Both. Past papers are extremely useful to familiarise yourself with the types of questions that will come up, because in most subjects the same questions will come up again and again. However, it is pointless doing the past papers if you don't actually have the knowledge. What I tend to do is revise individual units at a time by looking at revision guides, making notes etc. and then once I have finished a unit I will try some past paper questions for that particular unit only. You can decide whether you want to do this under exam conditions or use notes to help you. Then once I have revised all of the units I will try whole past papers under exam conditions. I find this the best way to revise.
Reply 3
Original post by Kelz_26
Both. Past papers are extremely useful to familiarise yourself with the types of questions that will come up, because in most subjects the same questions will come up again and again. However, it is pointless doing the past papers if you don't actually have the knowledge. What I tend to do is revise individual units at a time by looking at revision guides, making notes etc. and then once I have finished a unit I will try some past paper questions for that particular unit only. You can decide whether you want to do this under exam conditions or use notes to help you. Then once I have revised all of the units I will try whole past papers under exam conditions. I find this the best way to revise.

thank you , at least someone is answering the post.

Yes, i kind of agree, but that my only work for some subjects( subjects with units). French and English don't apply. I like doing both aswell. The down side of doing past papers are- once you are finished, you can't do them again.
Reply 4
thank you , at least someone is answering the post.

Yes, i kind of agree, but that my only work for some subjects( subjects with units). French and English don't apply. I like doing both aswell. The down side of doing past papers are- once you are finished, you can't do them again.

For subjects like French and English you could either try whole past papers or you could practice questions that you are having particular difficulty with for example sentence structure. You can do them again, the more you do them the better! You won't remember every answer and by doing this you can make sure that you are improving.
Reply 5
Original post by Kelz_26
For subjects like French and English you could either try whole past papers or you could practice questions that you are having particular difficulty with for example sentence structure. You can do them again, the more you do them the better! You won't remember every answer and by doing this you can make sure that you are improving.

Good Idea.Ive got like hundreds and hundreds of past papers for English, My English sucks.
Hi

I'd start of by doing mindmaps/reading notes then nearer the exam I just do past paper after past paper after past paper. You need to REVISE before you can PRACTICE I feel... I would maybe do one past paper around this time to find out what my weakness are and what I need to work on but usually you already know this after completing your prelims.

Although for Maths all I do is past papers... I feel that Maths is a subject where you don't really learn actual facts and information but you learn techniques. For me I usually have grasped the 'technique' pretty well so all I need to do is practice practice practice till perfect.
Reply 7
Past papers are definitely the most effective way of revision as they allow you to see every type of question that you could possibly come across.

If you get stuck on a question, then that is when you go to your notes and find out how to answer it. Then you go try the question again.

- Do past papers
-Stuck ? go look at notes
- Try question again

-Simples.!
Reply 8
For me i personally like to do notes on a particular topic i struggle with and read through and copy some examples, then later i will come and do some questions to see if i have remembered, but sometimes doing past papers is better to find out what you struggle with and also to familarise yuo with the exam questions
Both. I'm just going over topics I struggle with, then doing a few examples from textbooks/study guides etc., then putting it all into practise by doing past papers.
I like to get familiar with the notes so what I tend to do is revise/do note-taking over easter holidays and then after I like to do past papers and test how well I have revised. Then if I don't know a question, I'll spent some time looking over the topic.

I just feel more comfortable knowing the whole syllabus as opposed to doing past paper questions alone because new questions crop up all the time so I think preparation is the key lesson here...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending