The Student Room Group

advice for getting 9s in gcse

hello
I know there is still a couple of months before gcses but I want to revise effectively without burning myself out, and giving myslef time with my friends and family
any advice on how?
Original post by nooriiii
hello
I know there is still a couple of months before gcses but I want to revise effectively without burning myself out, and giving myslef time with my friends and family
any advice on how?

hey i think u should plan and organise ur time so u make sure u get everything done and prioritise certain things. Also something that helped me in the lead up to gcses was taking a rest day (wednesday for me) where u dont revise anything at all and make time fr family, hobbies and stuff like that

what subjects r u doing
Reply 2
Original post by anonymous.2003
hey i think u should plan and organise ur time so u make sure u get everything done and prioritise certain things. Also something that helped me in the lead up to gcses was taking a rest day (wednesday for me) where u dont revise anything at all and make time fr family, hobbies and stuff like that

what subjects r u doing

I'm obviously doing the core maths and english and we have to do re in my school. I do seperate science and study dt geography and business
i struggle studying especially dt geography chemistry and physics
also how long in a day should i revise
Original post by nooriiii
hello
any advice on how?

Hi!

Experience shows that it's almost never too early to start revision, so you're on the right track already.
It's difficult to say what is the correct, or even good way to revise, as that depends on the person, but here are some tips that worked for me:
1.Know what you need to revise.
-Go through the official specification (available online), ensure that you know all topics that will be on the exam and what is included.
-Identify your weak topics: it is important to spend more time on topics you struggle with, rather than practice topics you already perform great at (it is important to revise those too, but then you might run out of time! Prioritisation is key)

2.Plan your revision
-Have some sort of plan: whether it is a list of topics you need to go through and your level of confidence for each, a schedule, a to-do list, a timeline or a mindmap...having a structured idea of what needs to be covered really helps.
-Revision schedules work really well for some people. (They never worked for me personally, as I cannot stick to a fixed plan, but it is definitely an approach worth trying).

3.Fill all the gaps first
-Make sure you understand all the topics before revising them. Some information just completely escapes our memory and that is okay. Do all the reading/watching/notetaking and make sure you understand a concept before you revise it.

4.Start "actively" revising using a variety of methods
-"Actively revising" means making and using flashcards, answering sample questions, doing past papers, drawing mindmaps and charts, etc. Taking notes is also great if you do it properly: write your own summaries and highlight/annotate key parts instead of simply writing down the material as is.
-Different methods don't work the same for everyone - some learn well from audio books, while others need to draw diagrams/illustrations to understand a concept. Find what works best for you, but also try to experiment: it helps to avoid the revision getting exhausting and boring.
-Few suggestions to try:
a.Make your own quizzes, for example using Google Forms, Quizlet or even Kahoot (a fun approach to solo and group revision).
b.Timed recall: Set a timer for 10-15 minutes, depending on the topic, and write as much as you can remember about it, without peeking. Read through the notes and check what you wrote/what you are missing. Set the timer for now 4-5 minutes and write out the most important concepts. Check again.
c.Record your own lesson. Firstly, explaining something helps you to understand it. Secondly, you will have something to look back at.
d.Try online flashcard websites/apps. Apps such as Quizlet or Anki allow you to test your knowledge in multiple ways and set your revision schedule with handy reminders.
e.Most important: do past papers and go through the mark schemes.

5.Repetition
Spaced repetition is undoubtedly a powerful concept. It is best to space out the revision, since then the concepts are retained better in our long term memory.

6.Some more advice:
-Aim for quality and consistency, rather than volume. Even 15 minutes of good revision counts.
-Take breaks. As humans we tend to lose focus the longer we stay focused..breaks are very productive, so use them as it works for you. Some people prefer to spend 2-3 hours working on a single subject in one sitting, while others prefer to study a few different topics for 15-30 mins each.
-Don't be scared to ask for advice/help from teachers. Some will even be happy to mark your practice papers, which is incredibly useful!
-Do practice papers. Mark your practice papers. Look at and understand the mark scheme. It is your friend.
-How long? I would avoid sticking to '1 hour' strict times. All topics are different, all people are different and it is better to set yourself a goal such as 'make flashcards for x topic' or 'do x past paper'. I think it would be great to revise every day (with rest days of course, if you work better that way), but the quantity depends on your learning style and schedule. Aim to get 30 mins-2hours of revision done in a day, but revise more or less depending on how you feel/how much time you have.

Find what works for you, start early and don't overwork yourself!
Best of luck with revision!

Polina,
Lancaster University Student Ambassador.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi!

Experience shows that it's almost never too early to start revision, so you're on the right track already.
It's difficult to say what is the correct, or even good way to revise, as that depends on the person, but here are some tips that worked for me:
1.Know what you need to revise.
-Go through the official specification (available online), ensure that you know all topics that will be on the exam and what is included.
-Identify your weak topics: it is important to spend more time on topics you struggle with, rather than practice topics you already perform great at (it is important to revise those too, but then you might run out of time! Prioritisation is key)

2.Plan your revision
-Have some sort of plan: whether it is a list of topics you need to go through and your level of confidence for each, a schedule, a to-do list, a timeline or a mindmap...having a structured idea of what needs to be covered really helps.
-Revision schedules work really well for some people. (They never worked for me personally, as I cannot stick to a fixed plan, but it is definitely an approach worth trying).

3.Fill all the gaps first
-Make sure you understand all the topics before revising them. Some information just completely escapes our memory and that is okay. Do all the reading/watching/notetaking and make sure you understand a concept before you revise it.

4.Start "actively" revising using a variety of methods
-"Actively revising" means making and using flashcards, answering sample questions, doing past papers, drawing mindmaps and charts, etc. Taking notes is also great if you do it properly: write your own summaries and highlight/annotate key parts instead of simply writing down the material as is.
-Different methods don't work the same for everyone - some learn well from audio books, while others need to draw diagrams/illustrations to understand a concept. Find what works best for you, but also try to experiment: it helps to avoid the revision getting exhausting and boring.
-Few suggestions to try:
a.Make your own quizzes, for example using Google Forms, Quizlet or even Kahoot (a fun approach to solo and group revision).
b.Timed recall: Set a timer for 10-15 minutes, depending on the topic, and write as much as you can remember about it, without peeking. Read through the notes and check what you wrote/what you are missing. Set the timer for now 4-5 minutes and write out the most important concepts. Check again.
c.Record your own lesson. Firstly, explaining something helps you to understand it. Secondly, you will have something to look back at.
d.Try online flashcard websites/apps. Apps such as Quizlet or Anki allow you to test your knowledge in multiple ways and set your revision schedule with handy reminders.
e.Most important: do past papers and go through the mark schemes.

5.Repetition
Spaced repetition is undoubtedly a powerful concept. It is best to space out the revision, since then the concepts are retained better in our long term memory.

6.Some more advice:
-Aim for quality and consistency, rather than volume. Even 15 minutes of good revision counts.
-Take breaks. As humans we tend to lose focus the longer we stay focused..breaks are very productive, so use them as it works for you. Some people prefer to spend 2-3 hours working on a single subject in one sitting, while others prefer to study a few different topics for 15-30 mins each.
-Don't be scared to ask for advice/help from teachers. Some will even be happy to mark your practice papers, which is incredibly useful!
-Do practice papers. Mark your practice papers. Look at and understand the mark scheme. It is your friend.
-How long? I would avoid sticking to '1 hour' strict times. All topics are different, all people are different and it is better to set yourself a goal such as 'make flashcards for x topic' or 'do x past paper'. I think it would be great to revise every day (with rest days of course, if you work better that way), but the quantity depends on your learning style and schedule. Aim to get 30 mins-2hours of revision done in a day, but revise more or less depending on how you feel/how much time you have.

Find what works for you, start early and don't overwork yourself!
Best of luck with revision!

Polina,
Lancaster University Student Ambassador.

omg that helped me so much I am definitely going to use to use those tips :smile:
spaced revision is definitely the way to go
if you do little and often then you won't burn out and you find it a lot easier when it comes closer to the exams

also do active recall rather than passive revision i.e. do brain dumps and exam questions rather than reading through notes or copying stuff

Quick Reply

Latest