The Student Room Group

So, ive decided to apply for medicine, Which route should i take ?

I know its long but please help me.So i have posted i think roughly two threads recently about my cluster **** of a situation and i have come to a decicision. I have spent the last month trying to convince myself i dont want to do medicine and actually want to do something else but it has not worked. I want to study medicine and for the moment that is not going to change. OK so please dont be mean and say "your not smart enough" or "you dont have a chance" ect, allthough they may true this is what i want to do so please just try and give me some constructive comments. So my gcses are AABBBBBBBCC (One A grade is maths and was retaken from a C grade). I am currently studying Biology, psychology, and English Lit. I am hoping to acheive AAA in the summer, i was forced to give up chemsitry due to a bad modual result (allthough i wanted to retake my teacher has it out for me, others were aloud but i was not :confused:). So I dont currently have chemistry which is ****ing bad tbh, without it i cannot apply for biomedical or biochemistry sciences which from what i have heard are the best ones to go for to enter at graduate level. I Could go for another degree and try to defy the apparently impossible and enter after at graduate level or i could take AS level chemistry at A2 (next year along with my other three subjects) and then take a sort of gap year during which i would get experience and vollenteer and study chemistry A2 lol. From what i have heard these seem like the only two i could do in my current situation. I am really determaned to do all i can to get into medical school. I have wanted to do this for so long and i aint ready to give up yet. What are your thoughts on either of these routes and which would be the best for me to try or if their are any other alternative ways i have not thought of please share them. I know i have left a number of threads but i have decided this is what i want to do and i just need some help with deciding how to reach this goal. I know its annoying of me to ask and i know all of you med students, docs, prospective students have worked so hard to get your places, i know as of yet due to my carelessness, lack of commitment, and lack of study i dont really deserve it but i really dont want to give up on it. Thank you for any responses :smile:

EDIT what about doing a foundation year? i am doing a science so judging by ucas website i would be aligable?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Starting chemistry AS next year and taking it during a gap year would count as a 3 year sitting, and exclude you from most places.
Additionally, the vast majority of medical schools want 4 AS' sat in the same year.
Graduate route seems you best option.
Reply 2
Original post by SteveCrain
Starting chemistry AS next year and taking it during a gap year would count as a 3 year sitting, and exclude you from most places.
Additionally, the vast majority of medical schools want 4 AS' sat in the same year.

Ok, so if i were to apply for graduate entry i would not need A Level chemistry? I am not from a well off family at all either. Would i be able to afford it?. And even though i would be appliyng at graduate entry would they consider the fact that i have three AS Levels?
Reply 3

No thats wrong (only skimmed post so may have misread though, if so sorry!) but as long as OP completes 3 A levels within the first 2 year period they wouldn't be classed as a resit applicant. I should know because i've done this myself (Didn't take chemistry in my first year, took it up in my A2 year along with my other A2s and am now near the end of my THIRD year at college, but could apply anywhere I wanted and have an offer for medicine) as far as I know as long as the a levels are done within 2 years of starting them its okay.

Like i said though I might have misread what you/op was saying, meant to be busy revising ^_^
Reply 4
Original post by mclovin123
I know its long but please help me.So i have posted i think roughly two threads recently about my cluster **** of a situation and i have come to a decicision. I have spent the last month trying to convince myself i dont want to do medicine and actually want to do something else but it has not worked. I want to study medicine and for the moment that is not going to change. OK so please dont be mean and say "your not smart enough" or "you dont have a chance" ect, allthough they may true this is what i want to do so please just try and give me some constructive comments. So my gcses are AABBBBBBBCC (One A grade is maths and was retaken from a C grade). I am currently studying Biology, psychology, and English Lit. I am hoping to acheive AAA in the summer, i was forced to give up chemsitry due to a bad modual result (allthough i wanted to retake my teacher has it out for me, others were aloud but i was not :confused:). So I dont currently have chemistry which is ****ing bad tbh, without it i cannot apply for biomedical or biochemistry sciences which from what i have heard are the best ones to go for to enter at graduate level. I Could go for another degree and try to defy the apparently impossible and enter after at graduate level or i could take AS level chemistry at A2 (next year along with my other three subjects) and then take a sort of gap year during which i would get experience and vollenteer and study chemistry A2 lol. From what i have heard these seem like the only two i could do in my current situation. I am really determaned to do all i can to get into medical school. I have wanted to do this for so long and i aint ready to give up yet. What are your thoughts on either of these routes and which would be the best for me to try or if their are any other alternative ways i have not thought of please share them. I know i have left a number of threads but i have decided this is what i want to do and i just need some help with deciding how to reach this goal. I know its annoying of me to ask and i know all of you med students, docs, prospective students have worked so hard to get your places, i know as of yet due to my carelessness, lack of commitment, and lack of study i dont really deserve it but i really dont want to give up on it. Thank you for any responses :smile:

In fact, skimming though that it looks very similar to what I said I did in my previous post :smile:
An A in English Literature?? :O Don't mean to sound nasty but that's a bit hard to believe after that post.

I'd query this as I have a friend who was in the same position and took A-level chemistry in his gap year and got offers this year from Manchester and Barts and the London.

If OP is interested in doing A-level chemistry in a gap year then I'd recommend e-mailing admissions tutors of the schools he is interested in over the summer and checking that they are okay with this strategy before making a firm decision.
Reply 7
Original post by Rob16
No thats wrong (only skimmed post so may have misread though, if so sorry!) but as long as OP completes 3 A levels within the first 2 year period they wouldn't be classed as a resit applicant. I should know because i've done this myself (Didn't take chemistry in my first year, took it up in my A2 year along with my other A2s and am now near the end of my THIRD year at college, but could apply anywhere I wanted and have an offer for medicine) as far as I know as long as the a levels are done within 2 years of starting them its okay.

Like i said though I might have misread what you/op was saying, meant to be busy revising ^_^

No, you're wrong.

OP needs Chemistry. OP started chemistry this year. OP would start again next year and take it into his gap year. 1+2=3

Also 4 AS levels are wanted together. He would get 3.

You have not taken chemistry for 3 years.
Reply 8
Original post by SemperVivum
I'd query this as I have a friend who was in the same position and took A-level chemistry in his gap year and got offers this year from Manchester and Barts and the London.

If OP is interested in doing A-level chemistry in a gap year then I'd recommend e-mailing admissions tutors of the schools he is interested in over the summer and checking that they are okay with this strategy before making a firm decision.

Did said friend take A level chemistry over 3 years?
Reply 9
No, you're wrong.

OP needs Chemistry. OP started chemistry this year. OP would start again next year and take it into his gap year. 1+2=3

Also 4 AS levels are wanted together. He would get 3.

You have not taken chemistry for 3 years.

I did say that I skim read it... Sorry no need to get mardy about it!
Reply 10
Your school/college may allow you to do AS and A2 in a year? Youd still be within the 2 years then so as not to be classed as a resit student?
Can't you do chemistry in a year somewhere else?

If you have 50k spare then go for grad entry. If not- try and do an accelerated chem course.
Reply 12
Original post by Rob16
Your school/college may allow you to do AS and A2 in a year? Youd still be within the 2 years then so as not to be classed as a resit student?

Yes but could i do this along with my three other subjects? seems like alot to do :frown:
Did said friend take A level chemistry over 3 years?

No, four A-levels excluding chemistry in two years, and then an intensive A-level chemistry course in one year. If OP gave up chemistry in the AS year and then took a year to get both AS and A2 then it would still be 2 years to get that A-level (though not 2 consecutive years). Worth checking out with admissions tutors wouldn't you say?
With poorer than average GCSEs I would leave this speculation / planning til after your summer exams and focus on getting the best possible results in your biology, English and psychology exams. Adding AS chemistry into your A2 year is not a good idea when you don't have a strong past exam taking history and you've already had a bad time with the AS chemistry material.

Once you have done your summer exams, you have all summer to figure out what to do and e-mail some admissions tutors for advice; check that you meet the course GCSE requirements before you start e-mailing individual medical schools. I got advice on my application before applying and if you include a CV and don't ask bellend questions then they are quite detailed in their response.

If the advice is that they will consider you but you need an AS level along with your 3 A-levels within the 2 years then pick something that you find very easy and that won't detract from your A2s; you can then get the AS and A2 chemistry in your gap year.

If the advice is that you don't meet the requirements because of the chemistry issue, then start looking at other courses and consider graduate entry.
Is it bad that I thought of Rebecca Black when I saw the title of this thread.. ehh
Reply 16
First of all, please use paragraphs. Made my eyes go funny trying to read that :/

Second, you may have to take a bit of a roundabout route, because your GCSE's aren't terrible, and you have the minimum, but the minimum is never enough for medicine. If you are taking A levels for longer than two years you are a resit student, and thats inadvisable if possible.

I don't know about a foundation course, so email and ask about those.

Basically, the answer is, email universities, and see what they accept etc etc. The thing is with medicine that plenty of good applicants get rejected, so you can't really ever say 'yeahh that route sounds like it'll work, enjoy medical school', because there's no guarantees for anyone. Just reading your situation, it sounds like graduate entry might be for you. You said you're committed to it, and as long as you do a decent degree, you can work until you do get into medical school afterwards, and have a proper job so that you can afford it.
Reply 17
Yes but could i do this along with my three other subjects? seems like alot to do :frown:

It was, but I managed 4 A2s and an AS last year and came out with good grades and in all honesty I didn't do all that much work, it's not as hard as some people would make out, so im sure if you put in the work you could do it. But I guess you know your limits? I was just trying to make a suggestion thats all, if thats not possible then graduate entry would probably be your only realistic option :smile:
I know its long but please help me.So i have posted I think roughly two threads recently about my cluster **** of a situation and I have come to a decicision. I have spent the last month trying to convince myself I don't want to do medicine and actually want to do something else but it has not worked. I want to study medicine and for the moment that is not going to change. OK so please dont be mean and say "you're not smart enough" or "you don't have a chance" ect, although they may be true this is what I want to do so please just try and give me some constructive comments. So my gcses are AABBBBBBBCC (One A grade is maths and was retaken from a C grade). I am currently studying Biology, psychology, and English Lit. I am hoping to acheive AAA in the summer, I was forced to give up chemistry due to a bad module result (although I wanted to retake my teacher has it out for me, others were allowed but I was not :confused:). So I dont currently have chemistry which is ****ing bad tbh, without it I cannot apply for biomedical or biochemistry sciences which from what I have heard are the best ones to go for to enter at graduate level. I Could go for another degree and try to defy the apparently impossible and enter at graduate level or I could take AS level chemistry at A2 (next year along with my other three subjects) and then take a sort of gap year during which i would get experience and volunteer and study chemistry A2 lol. From what I have heard these seem like the only two I could do in my current situation. I am really determined to do all I can to get into medical school. I have wanted to do this for so long and i ain't ready to give up yet. What are your thoughts on either of these routes and which would be the best for me to try or if their are any other alternative ways i have not thought of please share them. I know I have left a number of threads but i have decided this is what i want to do and i just need some help with deciding how to reach this goal. I know it's annoying of me to ask and i know all of you med students, docs, prospective students have worked so hard to get your places, I know as of yet due to my carelessness, lack of commitment, and lack of study I don't really deserve it but I really dont want to give up on it. Thank you for any responses :smile:

EDIT what about doing a foundation year? i am doing a science so judging by ucas website i would be aligable?

Hey mclovin, as I'm sure you're already aware your grades are quite poor, so I'll try not to dwell on that. You need to get a bit reflective and really think why did you do so badly in your GCSE and Chemistry modular exams. If it was a case of no revision, you better knuckle down and revise. You say you hope to achieve an A grade in English literature, but the amount of simple spelling and grammatical mistakes you made in your post is ridiculous. What grades did you get in your modular exams recently, because if you're struggling to get near an A in chemistry now (unit one I assume), then what's to say you could get an A overall from self teaching yourself the even harder units, whilst you have other things to worry about. You should never rely on graduate entry for a place into medical school, the competition for it is absolutely huge, you see applicant to place ratios of 20:1 or higher, and these applicants are going to be top-notch academically, and competition for foundation year courses are extremely high too, the few medical schools that do it only offer a few dozen places. How are you doing on the volunteering and work experience front? Admissions tutors will be looking for evidence that you know exactly what life as a doctor is like, as well as being able to see that you have the skills necessary to be a good doctor.
I'm sorry for sounding so blunt, but the reality is medical school is cruelly competitive, and I personally know many people with seemingly perfect applications with four rejections. Also, we have a thread stickied at the top of this sub forum to deal with people unsure if they've got the right stuff for medicine.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
IF you want to do graduate medicine, you can do other degrees other then biomed or -chem, i have a bunch of offers and did biology (with no A level chem before). If possible go for the undergrad option become graduate entry is a b****

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending