The Student Room Group

Trying to decide what educational path is better for me.

Hi everyone,
I hope you are all well. I am trying to seek some advice for my path into university. I am currently studying a BTEC level 3 National Diploma in Applied Science alongside A-Level Sociology.

I am aiming to get into medicine and I am aware that this would be very difficult to do given the qualifications I am currently working towards, but I have two routes that I can do that will allow me to get into medicine:

1. There is a local private college near my house that will allow me to take both chemistry and biology A-Levels at the cost of around £4,000. This seems like an ideal route for me but, I will need to do these examinations while working towards my two other qualifications (which are both equal to 3 A-Levels) so I do not want to jeopardize my grades. Doing this will give me the 3 needed A-Levels to get into medical school (if I get the grades). I am also quite wary about this route as I must pay in full and the £4,000 does not include tuition, this just includes both the practical side for both of the subjects and the examination entry cost. This means I will need to pay an additional cost for a tutor which can vary from £20-40/hr. If I was to do this route I would possibly take a gap year in-between year 13 and university to focus on my studies.

2. My second option is to go through the graduate entry route. This is MUCH more expensive, time consuming, and competitive but this way I would be able to focus on studying (WHICH I LOVEEEEEEEE). If I was to go this way I will do a BN (hons) degree in Adult (or child) nursing. I will then go onto apply for a graduate entry medicine programme. I know this seems like a lot of time but in general it is only (not really only but oh well) 7 years which in comparison to other universities like oxford or other 6 year medicine programs i would only be one year behind.

I am currently leaning towards the second route as (as much as I hate to say it) it is a lot less of a hassle and I would be foung one year of extra work that I am not too interested in doing if I was going to pick the first option. The best way would be to go straight into medicine with the current qualifications i am working to get. But, as far as I am aware, no university will take them.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance,
Kieran.
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by notkierantho
Hi everyone,
I hope you are all well. I am trying to seek some advice for my path into university. I am currently studying a BTEC level 3 National Diploma in Applied Science alongside A-Level Sociology.

I am aiming to get into medicine and I am aware that this would be very difficult to do given the qualifications I am currently working towards, but I have two routes that I can do that will allow me to get into medicine:

1. There is a local private college near my house that will allow me to take both chemistry and biology A-Levels at the cost of around £4,000. This seems like an ideal route for me but, I will need to do these examinations while working towards my two other qualifications (which are both equal to 3 A-Levels) so I do not want to jeopardize my grades. Doing this will give me the 3 needed A-Levels to get into medical school (if I get the grades). I am also quite wary about this route as I must pay in full and the £4,000 does not include tuition, this just includes both the practical side for both of the subjects and the examination entry cost. This means I will need to pay an additional cost for a tutor which can vary from £20-40/hr. If I was to do this route I would possibly take a gap year in-between year 13 and university to focus on my studies.

2. My second option is to go through the graduate entry route. This is MUCH more expensive, time consuming, and competitive but this way I would be able to focus on studying (WHICH I LOVEEEEEEEE). If I was to go this way I will do a BN (hons) degree in Adult (or child) nursing. I will then go onto apply for a graduate entry medicine programme. I know this seems like a lot of time but in general it is only (not really only but oh well) 7 years which in comparison to other universities like oxford or other 6 year medicine programs i would only be one year behind.

I am currently leaning towards the second route as (as much as I hate to say it) it is a lot less of a hassle and I would be foung one year of extra work that I am not too interested in doing if I was going to pick the first option. The best way would be to go straight into medicine with the current qualifications i am working to get. But, as far as I am aware, no university will take them.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance,
Kieran.

What is the reason for not just doing 3 A levels now?
What age are you?
Do you have any WP flags? Some Foundation courses accept BTECs
Most med schools want 3 A levels achieved in one sitting, so doing sociology one year followed by chem and bio the next year may not satisfy requirements.
GEM is the hardest route into medicine, so I would carefully check out all alternatives before settling on this
Reply 3
Original post by GANFYD

What is the reason for not just doing 3 A levels now?
What age are you?
Do you have any WP flags? Some Foundation courses accept BTECs
Most med schools want 3 A levels achieved in one sitting, so doing sociology one year followed by chem and bio the next year may not satisfy requirements.
GEM is the hardest route into medicine, so I would carefully check out all alternatives before settling on this

1. All of the colleges near me (that are free of entry) were filled up.

2. I am 16.

3. Yes.

I have mostly been looking at universities near me (southampton, ect) which haven’t stressed that A-Levels will need to be sat in one year and I will be able to sleep the two private collage A-Levels during next year.
Reply 4
Original post by notkierantho
1. All of the colleges near me (that are free of entry) were filled up.

2. I am 16.

3. Yes.

I have mostly been looking at universities near me (southampton, ect) which haven’t stressed that A-Levels will need to be sat in one year and I will be able to sleep the two private collage A-Levels during next year.

You would be far better restarting Yr 12 with 3 A levels, to include chem and bio, as this would keep the most options open to you. But ideally, it should be 3 new subjects, as otherwise, you are limited to med schools that accept resits.
Otherwise, look at the Foundation Courses and see if you qualify for them, as most med schools ask for 3 A levels in one sitting.
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/3060/uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf
Reply 5
Original post by GANFYD

You would be far better restarting Yr 12 with 3 A levels, to include chem and bio, as this would keep the most options open to you. But ideally, it should be 3 new subjects, as otherwise, you are limited to med schools that accept resits.
Otherwise, look at the Foundation Courses and see if you qualify for them, as most med schools ask for 3 A levels in one sitting.
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/3060/uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf

Thank you, I’ll take a look.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending