The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilzman

Original post by Wilzman
We disagree with the rise in tuition fees, and are more social liberal then the IRL Lib Dems are (i.e. more on the centre-left of the political spectrum, rather than the centre).

Then why not use another name instead of lib dems? I do like some of their policies :biggrin: but
we all remember this :frown:
Some of think...

but your different? :biggrin:
Original post by blueray
Then why not use another name instead of lib dems? I do like some of their policies :biggrin: but
we all remember this :frown:
Some of think...

but your different? :biggrin:

We're in discussions about changing party names at the moment, which I will be helping follow up in the next Parliament (if I'm re-elected to be an MP).

We feel we're more representative of the Lib Dems in general (IRL), and parties on here are not compelled to share the same ideals as IRL parties, but we keep the name so people can identify with us.

We agree with a lot of Lib Dem policies though (raising the income tax threshold to live almost a million of the poorest people out of income tax altogether, and their environmental policies, and policies on civil liberties), so we are still in line behind the IRL Lib Dems on those (but on many issues, we disagree a fair amount with them).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Metrobeans
I have no clue.

Any ideas?

Not got a clue I'm afraid. I didn't make them.
Original post by Wilzman

Original post by Wilzman
We're in discussions about changing party names at the moment, which I will be helping follow up in the next Parliament (if I'm re-elected to be an MP).

We feel we're more representative of the Lib Dems in general (IRL), and parties on here are not compelled to share the same ideals as IRL parties, but we keep the name so people can identify with us.

We agree with a lot of Lib Dem policies though (raising the income tax threshold to live almost a million of the poorest people out of income tax altogether, and their environmental policies, and policies on civil liberties), so we are still in line behind the IRL Lib Dems on those (but on many issues, we disagree a fair amount with them).

So your not lib dem then? :teehee:
Original post by blueray
So your not lib dem then? :teehee:

I'm a card carrying member of the Liberal Democrats. I just disagree with some of the things they've done in Gov't.

I can't comment on the other members of the TSR party, as I don't know if they're members/supporters of the Lib Dems IRL, although I assume they are.

We are all still TSR Lib Dems though...

*EDIT*: Also, I know you were directed to the usergroups page (where you can join TSR parties), have you decided on a party yet? :ninja:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Wilzman
I'm a card carrying member of the Liberal Democrats. I just disagree with some of the things they've done in Gov't.

I can't comment on the other members of the TSR party, as I don't know if they're members/supporters of the Lib Dems IRL, although I assume they are.

We are all still TSR Lib Dems though...

*EDIT*: Also, I know you were directed to the usergroups page (where you can join TSR parties), have you decided on a party yet? :ninja:

Surely now you should be considering whether the Lib Dems would ever implement the policies you want, they've clearly shown that they're not the party you envisage if you're disagreeing with what they're doing in Government.

I'm really annoyed with the way Lib Dem and Tory politicians act together when on TV etc.. they constantly tow the coalition line and agree with each other.
Original post by xXedixXx
Surely now you should be considering whether the Lib Dems would ever implement the policies you want, they've clearly shown that they're not the party you envisage if you're disagreeing with what they're doing in Government.

I'm really annoyed with the way Lib Dem and Tory politicians act together when on TV etc.. they constantly tow the coalition line and agree with each other.

You misunderstand me. Personally, I agree with the vast majority of what the Lib Dems are doing in Government. However, there are issues that I don't agree with them on. I don't agree with them on nuclear power (for example), and I completely disagree with the decision to vote for the rise in tuition fees (the Coalition agreement left scope for abstaining and still staying within the agreement, so it was bloody mad for Nick Clegg to whip in favour). That is not to say they're 'not the party I envisage'.

I think anyone who agrees entirely with everything the party they support does must be either 100% perfectly suited to that party (which I believe very, very few people are), or must be crazy. Leaderships change within parties, as does the general direction of the party in ideological terms over time. I have my own views, and when the majority of Lib Dem policy agrees with those views, I support the Lib Dems. My views continue to tally with Lib Dem policy better than any other party, therefore I continue to support them.

I appreciate your efforts to make me think of other viewpoints, but I do that regularly anyway, so you won't (at least for the foreseeable future) disenfranchise me away from supporting the Lib Dems IRL.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Wilzman
You misunderstand me. Personally, I agree with the vast majority of what the Lib Dems are doing in Government. However, there are issues that I don't agree with them on. I don't agree with them on nuclear power (for example), and I completely disagree with the decision to vote for the rise in tuition fees (the Coalition agreement left scope for abstaining and still staying within the agreement, so it was bloody mad for Nick Clegg to whip in favour). That is not to say they're 'not the party I envisage'.

I think anyone who agrees entirely with everything the party they support does must be either 100% perfectly suited to that party (which I believe very, very few people are), or must be crazy. Leaderships change within parties, as does the general direction of the party in ideological terms over time. I have my own views, and when the majority of Lib Dem policy agrees with those views, I support the Lib Dems. My views continue to tally with Lib Dem policy better than any other party, therefore I continue to support them.

I appreciate your efforts to make me think of other viewpoints, but I do that regularly anyway, so you won't (at least for the moment) disenfranchise me away from supporting the Lib Dems IRL.

Fair enough, your opinion was well expressed in those words. ^ :smile:
Fair enough, your opinion was well expressed in those words. ^ :smile:

Thanks, I try to be as concise and clear as possible when explaining my own views. :wink:

I have to agree somewhat on this, but I don't think Labour is perfect either when sometimes it is the opposite and just opposes for the sake of opposing.
Like my honourable friend, Wilzman, I think that almost everyone who completely agrees with everything that a party espouses has an allegiance, rather than an ideology or an opinion. Everyone has different take on certain issues, that's the beauty of the whole system, MPs question their own party's policy and a compromise is reached that, we hope, suits as many people as possible.

Obviously with whips et al. things aren't always as balmy as ^, I know, and some people will be left out / disgruntled.

I appreciate many of the RL Lib Dem achievements:

Spoiler

But wish that more was being done to scrap Trident, and utterly regret the whole tuition fees debacle. I also wish that something would be done about the DEB and Libel Law. That being said, I think that the TSR Liberal Democrats' manifesto concurs with the spirit of being a Liberal Democrat, and aspires to a lot, lot more than the RL Party can achieve as a junior coalition partner.

If you agree... Vote TSR Lib Dem!

:woo:
Original post by toronto353
I have to agree somewhat on this, but I don't think Labour is perfect either when sometimes it is the opposite and just opposes for the sake of opposing.

I must admit that I agree a bit with this. I'm quite disappointed sometimes to see Ed et al seemingly opposing just because they think they should.

On another note, 1000 votes :woo:
Original post by sandys1000
I must admit that I agree a bit with this. I'm quite disappointed sometimes to see Ed et al seemingly opposing just because they think they should.

On another note, 1000 votes :woo:

I am very impressed with this turnout. Thanks to everyone that has voted.

On another note :tongue:, Caroline Flint on Question Time last night is the best example of this. She look liked a madwoman at times.
1000 votes! :awesome:
Reply 435
Original post by elli_emc
Like my honourable friend, Wilzman, I think that almost everyone who completely agrees with everything that a party espouses has an allegiance, rather than an ideology or an opinion. Everyone has different take on certain issues, that's the beauty of the whole system, MPs question their own party's policy and a compromise is reached that, we hope, suits as many people as possible.

Obviously with whips et al. things aren't always as balmy as ^, I know, and some people will be left out / disgruntled.

I appreciate many of the RL Lib Dem achievements:

Spoiler

But wish that more was being done to scrap Trident, and utterly regret the whole tuition fees debacle. I also wish that something would be done about the DEB and Libel Law. That being said, I think that the TSR Liberal Democrats' manifesto concurs with the spirit of being a Liberal Democrat, and aspires to a lot, lot more than the RL Party can achieve as a junior coalition partner.

If you agree... Vote TSR Lib Dem!

I totally agree with my honourable friends; Wilzman and elli_emc regarding this issue. We are the TSR Liberal Democrats as opposed to the ones in power for real.

Obviously there is much overlap between our aims and beliefs, however there are some actions they have taken which we condemn. I speak for the TSR Liberal Democrats when I say this, we would not have voted for the tuition fee rise if we were real life MPs.

Our aim on TSR is to inspire those with our liberal values and passing helpful mock legislation. We have discussed many future ideas including the scrapping of Trident and we have many other useful ideas which would help students in the future

We fight for equality, freedom and real progress. We are the TSR Liberal Democrats.

Vote Lib Dems!
Reply 436

On another note :tongue:, Caroline Flint on Question Time last night is the best example of this. She look liked a madwoman at times.

Yes, especially her first answer! She gave an impassioned response, I think Jo Swinson gave a very good performance considering it was her debut appearance on QT and Caroline is a regular.
Current vote count is a palindrome. :holmes:

Did I say he should come to Labour?

Indeed. It's a shame we've never had a mass PM before.

Yeah, especially after the thing with Brown, I've never particularly liked her. As a politician anyway ...

Latest

Trending

Trending