The Student Room Group

Will I be Eligible for A Tuition Fee Loan

Back in 2006 I started a BA(hons) degree in Business Studies with HR. This was a “sandwich” course 2 years of study, a year in a work placement and the 1 further year of study. In the April (2010) before I was due to graduate I suffered a family bereavement and due to my mental health paused my studies with a view of taking a year off and restarting in September 2011 however I was not able to resume my studies due to having a baby in February 2011. I am now looking to study an undergraduate degree -BA (hons) Education Studies (primary) part time with the Open University and wondered whether I would be eligible to apply for a further tuition fee student loan? I would not need a maintenance loan. Many ThanksDionne
Original post by dionne.stephens
Back in 2006 I started a BA(hons) degree in Business Studies with HR. This was a “sandwich” course 2 years of study, a year in a work placement and the 1 further year of study. In the April (2010) before I was due to graduate I suffered a family bereavement and due to my mental health paused my studies with a view of taking a year off and restarting in September 2011 however I was not able to resume my studies due to having a baby in February 2011. I am now looking to study an undergraduate degree -BA (hons) Education Studies (primary) part time with the Open University and wondered whether I would be eligible to apply for a further tuition fee student loan? I would not need a maintenance loan. Many ThanksDionne

Hi Dionne,

Can you confirm if your previous study was full time or part time? Did you receive any qualifications from your previous courses?

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Dionne,

Can you confirm if your previous study was full time or part time? Did you receive any qualifications from your previous courses?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire,

Thanks for your reply.

It was full time study. I did not achieve the degree as I did not complete the final year of my course due to the bereavement in my family and then my situation unexpectedly changing. I believe I may have achieved a diploma in higher education due to the 2 years completed.

Many thanks
Dionne
Original post by dionne.stephens
Hi Claire,

Thanks for your reply.

It was full time study. I did not achieve the degree as I did not complete the final year of my course due to the bereavement in my family and then my situation unexpectedly changing. I believe I may have achieved a diploma in higher education due to the 2 years completed.

Many thanks
Dionne

Hi Dionne,
The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:
- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending