The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i dont believe its common knowledge that moroccan style houmous is, in fact, 10000000000x better than your standard houmous. imo. just sayin'

im not sure if this is a valid post here... i just had to tell someone :frown:
Reply 61
Original post by ABCDemily
Nasi Goreng, an asian refried rice tradtionally eaten as breakfast. I have it at least twice a week...

I love that, my german exchange partner introduced me to it, and we had it for tea. I'm not really keeping to tradition there...
Reply 62
Toffifee's! They're a German toffee, with a roasted hazelnet, and chocolate on top.

Also, Mezzomix! It's German (again) and it is coke and orange mixed. I've tried making my own, with coke and orange, but it just doesn't taste the same.

I also love Asian foods. Some of my favorite places to eat is Wagamama and Yo! Sushi. I once tried Momo's http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momo_(food) in India, they're a Tibetan dumpling thingy, and they were so good, but I can't find them anywhere here!
Chapeau fruit beers, the strawberry one in particular.
Original post by FionaJane1
I also love Asian foods. Some of my favorite places to eat is Wagamama and Yo! Sushi. I once tried Momo's http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momo_(food) in India, they're a Tibetan dumpling thingy, and they were so good, but I can't find them anywhere here!

Momos are amazing! We had fried versions, filled with yak meat and vegetables. If anyone ever gets the opportunity to go to Lhasa, go to Tashi 1 restaurant for momos and these sort of fajita things called bobis. Bloody gorgeous.
Reply 65
Toffifee's! They're a German toffee, with a roasted hazelnet, and chocolate on top.

Also, Mezzomix! It's German (again) and it is coke and orange mixed. I've tried making my own, with coke and orange, but it just doesn't taste the same.

It's a tradition every Christmas that I get my sister a box of Toffifee, it's just an accepted thing! They're so freaking incredible to let melt away in your mouth like a Cadbury Eclair!

I just found this chocolate in Germany, it's seriously good, if you're a coconut fan like myself. It's milk chocolate surrounding this hard coconut-chocolate-fondant centre thing, which is crunchy as it has dessicated coconut in it.

I adore coconut. Even in shampoo and stuff, so you can imagine how happy I was to find this. :biggrin: AND it's like 80p for a ma-hoosive slab of the stuff. :sexface:
I know they aren't really "lesser known" but I'm the only one I know who eats these and LOVES them. Caramelised cashew nuts, omg. In tesco, they're in a white and pink/purple packet. GORGEOUS.
Reply 68
Original post by jeh_jeh
Char siu buns:

Plus, I've discovered that you can buy them frozen from an Asian supermarket and cook them in a vegetable steamer. :love:

Original post by floskii

Steamed dumplings, otherwise known as Potstickers. Basically, very thin soft pastry with a filling of meat, fish or vegetable and sauce. You can buy them frozen in big bags in asian groceries, and you simply fry them in a tiny bit of oil, then add water to cover them and simmer for 5 minutes. They're gorgeous and surprisingly filling.

These are exactly what I was going to say, the buns are called Baozi and the dumplings are called Jiaozi in Mandarin. Absolutely love them and was worried when I go home I won't be able to find them, will seriously have to raid my local Asian supermarket when I'm back!

Dammit you've made me want jiaozi! Luckily there's an amazing cheap, if a little dirty, restaurant over the road which makes absolutely mouthwatering ones. I shall be making a stop there later today :biggrin:
Reply 69
Original post by Pandabär

I just found this chocolate in Germany, it's seriously good, if you're a coconut fan like myself. It's milk chocolate surrounding this hard coconut-chocolate-fondant centre thing, which is crunchy as it has dessicated coconut in it.

I adore coconut. Even in shampoo and stuff, so you can imagine how happy I was to find this. :biggrin: AND it's like 80p for a ma-hoosive slab of the stuff. :sexface:

OH MAN!!! I got this from ALDI/LIDL and I wholeheartedly agree with this. I ENDORSE THIS POST. Coconut lovers unite, as these are delicious.
Reply 70
Original post by TotoMimo

These are getting harder and harder to find, but they are utterly delicious. Same as the Nesquik slice variants (although those are easier to find in general).

Can you even get these in the UK anymore? I know you can get the Nesquik ones:

But not seen original Kinder Milk Slice since I was wee. ALso..... does Jim's Chocolate Mission mean anything to you by any chance? :wink:
Reply 71
I LOVE Jim's Chocolate Mission! His Mission sometimes inspires MY Mission - I'll actively seek out some of his recommendations! For example, the Heavenly Cakes range, I tried because of him.

The nesquik ones are great but I prefer the Kinder ones - you get them in international food supermarkets.
Reply 72
Original post by TotoMimo
MILCH KNOPPERS

Layers of wafer, nutella with chunks of hazelnut, milk chocolate and cream filling - how can it NOT be good?!

Buy it where? LIDL, ALDI

Oh my god Knoppers!!! I absolutely lived off of those when I was on holiday in Austria, back in 2008 :drool:
You've just made my entire life by telling me they're available in the UK.
:adore:
Reply 73
*right click, save picture as' :biggrin:

Use fanta! Fanta and Coke = Spezi but it's generally the same taste :biggrin:
Aldi fromage frais :coma: It's like a moussey yoghurt thing with a layer of fruit on the bottom, amazing
Reply 76
Speaking of LIDL/ALDI, it really should be common knowledge by now, but I really hate Kellogg's Krave elitists that haven't tried the original, far, FAR superior Nougat Pillows released several years beforehand.

OMG...this
its white chocolate with rice crisp and hazlenut...at lidl for about 99p i think..its sooooooooooo good x
I say this all the time, simply because it's possibly one of my favourite foods, ever.

Polenta, especially grilled. Eaten with a stew or casserole, with a little leomn drizzled on top. :coma:
Not the most unusual food, but I've found not many people have tried it, even if they know what it is.
Schogetten - love it. Strawberry and chocolate... together. Yum.

Lidl does them.

Latest