The Student Room Group

What's an interesting fact that you've learned?

Can be anything (within TSR rules).

I can't think of one for me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
'OMG' as an acronym long predates the internet and has its origins in the early 1900s.
Original post by gjd800
'OMG' as an acronym long predates the internet and has its origins in the early 1900s.

Does it have the same meaning as it does today? (as in was it used in the same way)
Reply 3
Original post by Talkative Toad
Does it have the same meaning as it does today? (as in was it used in the same way)

Yep.
Original post by gjd800
Yep.

makes sense
'WAP' as an acronym long predates the Cardi B song and has its origins in the early 1900s
Ouagadougou is the capital of Burkina Faso

I think that has been my favourite fact forever, just because I love that I know such an obscure place name.
France has the most timezones
Reply 8
Lol, I recently found a really weird and cool site at the same time. I was just surprised there was such a site. So here goes. It just has instructions for everything. I think it has instructions for any kind of machinery..... I don't know how interesting that is. A site with all the manuals in the world
Interesting facts

Headphones can increase the bacteria in your ears.

Scotland chose the unicorn as its national animal.

It snows in the Sahara Desert

You probably eat bugs in your sleep.

There are over 525 native languages spoken in Nigeria.

Sudan has the most pyramids in the world (not Egypt)

The Sahara Desert used to be a tropical rainforest

China has only one timezone

Prostitution is one of the oldest professions.

You can go on a safari in Sri Lanka

France is the most visited country with 89 million annual tourists

There’s a village in the Netherlands with no streets, only canals

Jews are just 0.2% of the world population but make up most of the Nobel Prize winners.

Oxford and Cambridge Universities are older than many countries including the United States and United Kingdom.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 10
The current king of Jordan had a cameo appearance in Star Trek
Original post by Wired_1800
“Jews are just 0.2% of the world population but make up most of the Nobel Prize winners.

Not quite.

I just looked it up and one source (linked below) says they make up circa 22% of all Nobel Prize winners, which is not the majority but is definitely more than one would expect given the proportion of the population they make up.

https://www.thejc.com/lets-talk/all/why-are-there-so-many-jewish-nobel-winners-62GVubBTjm6Poz2VdPOhDz
The first president of the republic of Zimbabwe was called Canaan Banana.

In 1982, a law was passed banning Zimbabweans from making jokes about his surname.

On a state visit to the UK, this (allegedly) prompted Prince Philip to ask President Banana if he travelled alone or in a bunch…
Reply 13
You dont play wom with a wombat.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Not quite.

I just looked it up and one source (linked below) says they make up circa 22% of all Nobel Prize winners, which is not the majority but is definitely more than one would expect given the proportion of the population they make up.

https://www.thejc.com/lets-talk/all/why-are-there-so-many-jewish-nobel-winners-62GVubBTjm6Poz2VdPOhDz

Thanks for clarification. I was told it was the highest. I would look up the link.
Original post by Wired_1800
Interesting facts

Headphones can increase the bacteria in your ears.

Scotland chose the unicorn as its national animal.

It snows in the Sahara Desert

You probably eat bugs in your sleep.

There are over 525 native languages spoken in Nigeria.

Sudan has the most pyramids in the world (not Egypt)

The Sahara Desert used to be a tropical rainforest

China has only one timezone

Prostitution is one of the oldest professions.

You can go on a safari in Sri Lanka

France is the most visited country with 89 million annual tourists

There’s a village in the Netherlands with no streets, only canals

Jews are just 0.2% of the world population but make up most of the Nobel Prize winners.

Oxford and Cambridge Universities are older than many countries including the United States and United Kingdom.

Those are some interesting facts, I didn't know about most of them. But I really hope I don't eat bugs in my sleep, that would be gross.
Reply 16
A pie chart in France is known as a Camembert.

The length of a standard piece of paper divided by its width is always 2\sqrt{2}.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by belkcambura71
Those are some interesting facts, I didn't know about most of them. But I really hope I don't eat bugs in my sleep, that would be gross.

I agree but very possible.
Interesting facts

Each limestone/granite block that makes up the Great Pyramid of Giza weighs 2.5 tons. And there are 2.3 million of them.

It would take you approximately 18 months to walk all the way along The Great Wall of China.

In Ancient Egypt, the word for ‘cat’ was actually pronounced ‘mew’, or ‘meow’.

The American Revolution (1765-1783) came before the French Revolution (1789-1799).

The largest contiguous land empire in history is The Mongol Empire (13th & 14th centuries).

Egypt is classified as the oldest country in the world, dating back to 3100 BCE.

The wealthiest company in the world in 2020 was Saudi Aramco.

Brazil boasts the most biodiversity of any country on the planet, with more than 50,000 species of plants and trees.

Marie Curie was the first person ever to win TWO Nobel Prizes one for physics in 1903, the other for chemistry in 1911 for her work on radioactivity.

0.5% of the male population are descended from Genghis Khan. (Scientists did a study in 2003 showing that about 16 million dudes share a Y chromosome with the famous Emperor.)

We actually produce enough food to feed everyone on the planet; the problem is distribution.
(edited 9 months ago)
Strawberries aren't actually berries nor are raspberries and blackberries but the banana is.

Quick Reply

Latest