The Student Room Group

Bra wire coming out

Is it because they're cheap or ill-fitting or both?

that the wire comes out of the bra. I think it's always been on the end, nearest the armpit and if it starts to come out in the middle of the day it can dig into my armpit/ side and be quite annoying.

Has anyone else got experience of this?

Scroll to see replies

Whatever the reason go and get some new ones
Reply 2
This happened to me, took me ages to figure out what was scratching me :frown:

It's probs just from the wire breaking a hole through the side of ya bra from being old or w/e
I reccomend a shopping trip (remember get a decent fitting one, I think most places like la senza will measure you)
Reply 3
I would if I could afford it :frown: most of mine are from newlook or cheaper places . . .
Reply 5
Original post by Nix-j-c
I would if I could afford it :frown: most of mine are from newlook or cheaper places . . .

My New Look one did this. Just sew up the hole!

La Senza often has 2 for £20 offers so look out for those :smile:
It's probably because they're cheaper and poorer quality. Do you put them in the washing machine? That often causes more damage to bras, so I'd recommend hand washing them! (especially if they're padded because they padding tends to change shape)
Reply 7
yea, infact i have a scar from when that happened and it cut me! :[ Sew it up, if not buy another
Reply 8
Original post by Nix-j-c

you can still get measured in a shop without buying. (of course you have to look like you're planning on buying something :colone:)
Reply 9
yeah I do sew them up. Anyway I need to get a couple more white or tan coloured ones. I've got a job and I have to wear a white blouse/ shirt and bras that don't show ie white or tan.

The nearest la senza is about 40 miles away :/ I dont think i'm going there any time soon.

Owchies boo! !!!
Reply 10
Just do your best to sew it up before you get some new ones, although I found it difficult to do this one mine as it frayed the edges of where it popped out. It could be because it's old, anyway I feel your pain, having a wire stick into your boob or armpit is so annoying, especially when you have to adjust it in public... :ninjagirl:
Reply 11
do you put them in the dryer?
i was told the wire breaks out from them going in the dryer - the fabric shrinking and the wire doesn't so it pushes free
I have had quite a few do this. It is definitely annoying and quite painful. Never occurred to me not to put them in the washing machine/drier though - I think I'll be handwashing them from now on. :smile:
Reply 13
They're put in the washing machine, but not a tumble dryer which would probably make it worse, but TBH they're not broken when they come out of the wash it happens during the day, when I'm wearing them.
Happens to me a lot. Put them on a gentle cycle in the machine and don't put them in the dryer.
Reply 15
Wait for a sale and go to M&S. You can get good bra's for £2 then :smile:
It's just because of the fabric being weakened or a poor design leading to seams breaking. Just sew it up or get a new one. I'm fairly sure that there's no reason why you shouldn't wash normal day to day bras in the washing machine. I do and they're fine. Mine are matalan bras which are strangely comfortable!
Reply 17
Original post by hothedgehog
Mine are matalan bras which are strangely comfortable!

I have a matalan one and that's broken through god knows how many times.

Original post by *Dreaming*
Happens to me a lot. Put them on a gentle cycle in the machine and don't put them in the dryer.

We don't have a tumble dryer . . .
Um eventually the bras are old when they do this to me, bit of a warning signal to go shopping! I have loads so they all get not too much wear and so washed less frequently.

For me the only store where bras haven't died is Ann Summers...but I guess it's because they're never really on long enough. :smile:

Just wear and tear, good and cheap bras can do this. If you can't get new ones just sew up the hole to stop it coming out!

Quick Reply

Latest