The Student Room Group

Gyms around Canary Wharf

Anyone have any recommendations in terms of value for money? Just looking for one with a decent free weights section, not too bothered about a pool. Can you join anywhere for under £50 in the area?

Cheers.
Reply 1
Aha, u r lucky to hv me here mate.
I am living right in canary wharf and personally i hv been to both
Reebok (where waitrose is)m which is expensive, 95 after corporate discounts, but u hv nice pool, good basketball court and badmiton court, and loads of machines so perfect for weights training
or LA Fitness, just at West India Quay, a very packed one, also hv a pool, and 45 quit per month when i joined them, but its a bit too much for a small gym like that (i mean too many ppl there), the changing rooms a bit dirty ...and the weight section is just okay.

Now since my building got swimming pool and a small gym itself i quited them both and joined gymbox while using my buildings gym on wkend.

btw since u r posting under IB&C section, just wondering r u working in Canary wharf? coz im working for one of the banks now and also in traning to try to build up a bit... actually im going to gym every work day..
Reply 2
Cheers for the reply mate. Yeah working in CW so looking for a gym nearby, finding it hard to train after the commute home.

Couple of mates in the area train at Reebok but I don't really want to be paying ~£100 a month. I will have a look at LA Fitness I think - do you know any others in the area? I think I'll go along to the Virgin Active this week and enquire about prices there as well.

Does anyone know any gyms which do an under 25 deal or anything like that?

Cheers.
Reply 3
im afraid thats the only two gym i know in this area, hv been living here for a while and thought maybe thats the ones in CW.
i think LA Fitness did gimme student discount coz im taking a gap year working in the industry tho so if u r same u can enjoy the benefits as well.

good luck.
Original post by Zuiverloon
Cheers for the reply mate. Yeah working in CW so looking for a gym nearby, finding it hard to train after the commute home.

Couple of mates in the area train at Reebok but I don't really want to be paying ~£100 a month. I will have a look at LA Fitness I think - do you know any others in the area? I think I'll go along to the Virgin Active this week and enquire about prices there as well.

Does anyone know any gyms which do an under 25 deal or anything like that?

Cheers.

There's this place http://www.gll.org/centre/tiller-leisure-centre.asp

Which is near Crossharbour DLR station so depending where you're living around CW that may be a viable option. Obviously if you live in the opposite direction then it's gonna be a bit of a ballache.

I'm actually in a similar dilemma in that I'm going to be working in CW for the year but commuting from Essex. So I'm not sure whether to go for one of the gyms in CW (probably either Virgin Active or LA Fitness, since Reebok and my bank's gym are extortionately priced considering all I want really is decent free weights and cable machines) and then go after work every day (hence adding a sizeable chunk to what is already likely to be quite a long working day) or just sign up with my local gym at home and save on time but have to put up with the relatively worse facilities.
Reply 5
That looks a little bit out of the way for me. I get the tube in so don't want to be hopping on the DLR if i can avoid it. This week I'm going to go around all the gyms after work and see what I can find out.

My main problem is that my gym at home is fine, however the convenience of going straight after work is something I would prefer. I have quite a long commute as well and it's a struggle getting down to my current gym after sitting on a train for 45 minutes!
Original post by Zuiverloon
That looks a little bit out of the way for me. I get the tube in so don't want to be hopping on the DLR if i can avoid it. This week I'm going to go around all the gyms after work and see what I can find out.

My main problem is that my gym at home is fine, however the convenience of going straight after work is something I would prefer. I have quite a long commute as well and it's a struggle getting down to my current gym after sitting on a train for 45 minutes!

I know what you mean and I'd quite like to be able to do the same, the only other thing that puts me off it slightly is the logistics of carrying a gym bag into work with me every day and then having to take it home afterwards etc. Maybe it wouldn't be that much hassle, I'm just used to being 5 minutes from the gym and not having to worry about actually organising anything to go!
Reply 7
Derailing a bit sorry, but wondering if it's even worth looking for a gym over summer if you're interning in IBD?
Original post by Haz313
Derailing a bit sorry, but wondering if it's even worth looking for a gym over summer if you're interning in IBD?

Depends on where you're living I guess, but this place is a 24 hour gym and is basically next to Liverpool Street so not too bad location-wise. If you're gonna be working at UBS then I guess it's absolutely perfect - get out of work at 2am, then just head across the road to train :colone: . Looks fairly well-equipped too.

Other than that I think the only 24 hour gyms are these ones http://www.thegymgroup.com/ - but looking at the locations I doubt they'd be any good to you. Conventional gyms probably aren't even worth looking into as most of them will probably shut around 22/2300.
Reply 9
Original post by Michel Foucault
There's this place http://www.gll.org/centre/tiller-leisure-centre.asp

Which is near Crossharbour DLR station so depending where you're living around CW that may be a viable option. Obviously if you live in the opposite direction then it's gonna be a bit of a ballache.

I'm actually in a similar dilemma in that I'm going to be working in CW for the year but commuting from Essex. So I'm not sure whether to go for one of the gyms in CW (probably either Virgin Active or LA Fitness, since Reebok and my bank's gym are extortionately priced considering all I want really is decent free weights and cable machines) and then go after work every day (hence adding a sizeable chunk to what is already likely to be quite a long working day) or just sign up with my local gym at home and save on time but have to put up with the relatively worse facilities.

Have you been to this gym before - do you know what the free-weight section is like?

There's not much info on the website unfortunately :frown:
Reply 10
I thought most banks had their own gyms?

You could ask someone in your first week about a gym that offers discounts for bank employees nearby. I recommend asking the hench analyst.
Reply 11
Original post by Eklipz89
I thought most banks had their own gyms?

You could ask someone in your first week about a gym that offers discounts for bank employees nearby. I recommend asking the hench analyst.

Hench analyst lol.

Well CS has a gym, and BarCap employees are entitled to use it (Canary Wharf Health Club I think it's called), but the free weights section looks tiny, and I bet it gets properly busy in the evenings (I'm in mkts so there's no way I'm going before work).
Reply 12
Ouch.

Where are you staying over the summer? As far as I know, there are no decent gyms near Claredale so I will have to do with the gym at the bank but like you said, their free weights section is also small.
Reply 13
Original post by Eklipz89
Ouch.

Where are you staying over the summer? As far as I know, there are no decent gyms near Claredale so I will have to do with the gym at the bank but like you said, their free weights section is also small.

I'm staying at a mate's place in the Docklands, about a 20-min walk from the Wharf which is pretty sweet.

Bit annoying coz I've got a Fitness First membership which lets me use most gyms in London...I've had it since last summer, but surprisingly there aren't any FF gyms in CW, but there are a million in the City!
In order of price from lowest to highest its...LA Fitness < Virgin < Reebok (I think). Virgin looked really good when I went to have a look around. Reebok was also really nice but expensive. BTW if you go to see the Reebok gym, don't give them your number, I went to have a look when I was interning in the Wharf last summer and still get calls from them now asking me if i want to join!
(edited 13 years ago)
Citi/Credit Swisse/BarCap definitely have own gyms. Even in IBD you'll be able to take an hour to go to the gym.
Though just generally - I'd recommend joining a gym in CW for weeknights. I have a cheap one near where I live, and it can really hinder doing anything in the evening post-work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending