The Student Room Group

What are the lower class zones of London?

Which areas of London are commonly considered lower class and therefore avoided?
London
Hope this helps.
No where.

London is too expensive for the lower classes.
Original post by gobblegob
Which areas of London are commonly considered lower class and therefore avoided?

Some of the outer areas of London are relatively poor, e.g. Croydon, Mitcham, Edmonton, Barking, Dagenham. In the inner city it's mostly Brixton, Peckham, Southwark, Tottenham, Tower Hamlets (excluding Canary Wharf), Dalston, Hackney, although a lot of the inner city areas have seen a rise in middle class young people moving in because the rising rents make the traditionally nice areas of London too expensive to live in.

However, most areas have a mixture of working and middle class people as well as some upper class; the ones I mentioned are just ones that happen to be dominated by poorer groups in society. There's no need to avoid an area because it is dominated by poorer people- the main shopping areas and some main roads are all very safe, just don't go inside the council estates and dodgy looking streets(especially at night) as they tend to have some gang activity.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ladbants
Some of the outer areas of London are relatively poor, e.g. Croydon, Mitcham, Edmonton, Barking, Dagenham. In the inner city it's mostly Brixton, Peckham, Southwark, Tottenham, Tower Hamlets (excluding Canary Wharf), Dalston, Hackney, although a lot of the inner city areas have seen a rise in middle class young people moving in because the rising rents make the traditionally nice areas of London too expensive to live in. However, most areas have a mixture of working and middle class people as well as some upper class; the ones I mentioned are just ones that happen to be dominated by poorer groups in society.

Rubbish.

If those people you call poor moved out of those areas you listed, they would automatically become middle class.

They are poor relative to Mayfair residents, but middle class when compared to the rest of the country.

No one living anywhere in London is working class.
Original post by CreamyChocolate
Rubbish.

If those people you call poor moved out of those areas you listed, they would automatically become middle class.

They are poor relative to Mayfair residents, but middle class when compared to the rest of the country.

why? there is more poverty in London than anywhere else in the UK except perhaps some Northern industrial towns. there are plenty of unemployed people in London who rely on benefits (not 'working class' but poor) who would struggle to live anywhere in the UK. Your statement just shows that you know nothing about poverty in London relative to the UK.
Reply 6
Original post by Ladbants
why? there is more poverty in London than anywhere else in the UK except perhaps some Northern industrial towns. there are plenty of unemployed people in London who rely on benefits (not 'working class' but poor) who would struggle to live anywhere in the UK. Your statement just shows that you know nothing about poverty in London relative to the UK.

Didn't London have some major riots a few years ago? They were as bad as the Paris riots! Weren't they in East London (Google says North London but that's not what I remember)!
Original post by CreamyChocolate
Rubbish.

Whatdaf*q are you smoking?

You cant even call this trolling, its such an egregrious statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gobblegob
Didn't London have some major riots a few years ago? They were as bad as the Paris riots! Weren't they in East London (Google says North London but that's not what I remember)!

It was tottenham (north london)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Death Grips
It was tottenham (north london)

Posted from TSR Mobile

But didn't the riots spread eastwards? The most west it got was Clapham Common and that warehouse that burned down.
People working in london, unless they have a high paying job, struggle. I know loads of waiters, cleaners and those kind of working people. Struggle to make rent or buy clothes, living paycheck to pay check. No holidays,just surviving. Spoke to a lot of people in my time in london(10 years) and decided to move out as I can't put up with all the misery and gloominess. I dont want to go eat in a restaurant seeing people work their ass off just to be able to pay rent and a 1 week holiday a year, buying a house or flat is a dream only the very rich can have in their eyes. This is not life,decided to move out of london where normal working class people have a shot at real life and dreams,thanks to this I managed to open a business and now expanding to other locations due to increase in demands and revenue ecc.. stuff that in london I could never dream of achieving. People are treated like piece of meat and just another londoner. Where outside you can actually bond and make real relationships. A place for the rich to abuse the poor with minimum wages,knowing damn well where this leads.

Quick Reply

Latest